SXS shot gun am I wanting something that doesnt exist

I'm choking up threads, over caffeinated & procrastinating life .. I'm sorry.

Pacific Sporting Arms was a 16 Hour Round Trip. I had NO intentions on buying a SxS.
This place was a gallery. I have no idea about any mfr's, Fabarm, Dickinson, Perazzi, Rizzini, Benelli, Beretta, etc. (But I never shouldered a better fitting shotgun). $1K ?

View attachment 612194

Is yours for sale?

I like to upland bird hunt pheasant hunt and waterfowl. For years I have shot foxes with either m/f or ic/m barrels depending on what I was doing.
As for gauge it doesn’t really matter.
12 is a good do all but the older I get I am growing to like the 20 more and more.
What I listed was simply a wish list of what I would like.
I want one really nice shot gun that fits me, that I can travel with and shoot bobwhite on a southern plantation or pheasants out west with. Maybe grab a mallard or two along the way.
I have o/u they just don’t do it for me like a sxs.

If you're hunting waterfowl, you'll need to add the ability to shoot steel/nontox to your list of requirements. I would say with that notion, you'll probably be shopping new/newer makers and to be honest, even with your stipulations, it should be easy to find what you're looking for. If you'll be hunting with softer nontox shot (like bismuth), then your options are pretty much limitless even with a lot of vintage SxSs. Pick what you want, have Briley install thinwall chokes, and you are ready to go.

I want a side by side with the following.
sxs with screw in chokes or 2 barrel set. 26inch barrels.
2 triggers
selective ejectors.
grip stock, not a english straight.
I picked this up last week . Pretty close to what you want . A William Powell boxlock ejector SxS 12g. Two sets of 28inch barrels. The gun has two triggers and Prince of Wales grip . It is proofed for 1.25 ounces - 35 grams . Has Purdey fasteners , side clips and a Scott bolt third fastener - like a Greener cross bolt except it does not protrude from action . Super strong action . Made in 1954 . Cased with all accessories . Took it out for sporting clays on the week end . Shot like a dream .

IMG_3693.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg
IMG_3692.jpeg
IMG_3691.jpeg
IMG_3690.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this up last week . Pretty close to what you want . A William Powell boxlock ejector SxS 12g. Two sets of 28inch barrels. The gun has two triggers and Prince of Wales grip . It is proofed for 1.25 ounces - 35 grams . Has Purdey fasteners , side clips and a Scott bolt third fastener - like a Greener cross bolt except it does not protrude from action . Super strong action . Made in 1954 . Cased with all accessories . Took it out for sporting clays on the week end . Shot like a dream .
That's a pretty shotgun, I have a few nice ones, but none with cases. Nice find

I want a side by side with the following.
sxs with screw in chokes or 2 barrel set. 26inch barrels.
2 triggers
selective ejectors.
grip stock, not a english straight.
Two triggers and a grip stock can be a odd to shoot. Maybe a Prince of Wales type rather than straight?

I had a universal grip, 2 trigger, .. but 28's

Two triggers and a grip stock can be an odd to shoot. Maybe a Prince of Wales type rather than straight?
Two triggers seem to work just fine on double rifles with a pistol grip (or Prince of Wales style) stock.

Many people have shotguns made to fit in a similar fashion to their double rifles for practice that is less expensive.

Last edited:
Very true on double rifles. My brain is in shotgun mode on double triggers, and all those upland guys and side by side guys insist double triggers mean straight stock so your hand can just slide backwards a little and hit the rear. I've only ever shot double rifle a few times maybe half a dozen times and it was in a controlled range situation. I've shot single trigger over and under, and of course pump actions single trigger, and my latest as a side by side with two triggers on a straight stock. I'm not sure but maybe it has something to do with a double rifle being aimed carefully as opposed to a shotgun being swung and pointed? I'm probably missing a whole lot here but that's what came to mind.
As an afterthought maybe it's because a shotgun, besides being swung and pointed, is commonly used to shoot doubles on purpose as opposed to a double rifle which would only shoot doubles if things turn sideways a little bit with the game animal.

I would really like to hear other people's thoughts on this for my own education!
Two triggers seem to work just fine on double rifles with a pistol grip (or Prince of Wales style) stock.

Many people have shotguns made to fit in a similar fashion to their double rifles for practice that is less expensive.

Very true on double rifles. My brain is in shotgun mode on double triggers, and all those upland guys and side by side guys insist double triggers mean straight stock so your hand can just slide backwards a little and hit the rear. I've only ever shot double rifle a few times maybe half a dozen times and it was in a controlled range situation. I've shot single trigger over and under, and of course pump actions single trigger, and my latest as a side by side with two triggers on a straight stock. I'm not sure but maybe it has something to do with a double rifle being aimed carefully as opposed to a shotgun being swung and pointed? I'm probably missing a whole lot here but that's what came to mind.
As an afterthought maybe it's because a shotgun, besides being swung and pointed, is commonly used to shoot doubles on purpose as opposed to a double rifle which would only shoot doubles if things turn sideways a little bit with the game animal.

I would really like to hear other people's thoughts on this for my own education!
The original purpose of the African double rifle is for a hunter (professional or otherwise) to make two quick shots on dangerous game in an instinctive manner. The stocks typically look like this…
1718811867426.png

Well, I know that :giggle: . It's just that there's a difference between what _can_ be done if need be, and what is purposefully designed to be done regularly. I dunno why the shotgunners insist two triggers means "English" stock.

You mean like this RBL from CSMC?
1718814771916.png

Virtually every classic American side-by-side has double triggers and a pistol grip or prince wales stock. That includes Parker, Fox, LC Smith, and Lefever. I could post pictures of mine if needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

I like double triggers. You can quickly choose the tighter choke first if needed.

I was curious if you found anything close, since @62flint

Stoeger, no chokes, ejectors .. disregard.

I was on a short lived kick with CSMC. Their RBL. They were willing to build 22".
But, big $$$, unnecessary, etc.
The CSMC RBL is a thing of beauty. I’ve held one in my hands, absolutely amazing. As for the price…you need to keep in mind that everything about the shotgun would be bespoke.

There are others who can more intelligently debate the value of it over something comparable because my knowledge on that level of shotgun is not the best. I know @WAB would be a good person to ask…

I only put this shotgun out there because it would meet all the requirements of the OP.

The CSMC RBL is a thing of beauty. I’ve held one in my hands, absolutely amazing. As for the price…you need to keep in mind that everything about the shotgun would be bespoke.

There are others who can more intelligently debate the value of it over something comparable because my knowledge on that level of shotgun is not the best. I know @WAB would be a good person to ask…

I only put this shotgun out there because it would meet all the requirements of the OP.
I do appreciate that, absolutely beautiful in photos. They were originally brought to my attn on behalf of this listing, some members certainly did attest. Circumstances dictate, but they would be my 1st choice for a magnificent sxs. Addl: very receptive, professional people willing to accommodate anything not listed ...

View attachment 614246View attachment 614247View attachment 614248View attachment 614249View attachment 614250
That would actually be a BEAUTIFUL choice! The prince of Wales grip is sufficiently swept back enough that manipulation of two triggers might approach the accommodation of a straight stock. Too tight a curl in the grip might cramp your style when trying to switch from front to rear trigger--that's why the straight stocks were in their element with double triggers in the first place. Lovely gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FEJ

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]