SwissP 300 Blackout Styx Action Testing - 100% weight retention and 2x expansion

RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION

Sponsor
Since 2023
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
ravenrocksprecision.com
Deals & offers
Media
I finally got around to testing out some of this SwissP 300 BLK ammo (folks have been asking for way too long). The first test today was out of a suppressed Ruger Ranch (16" barrel). The bullets weighed in right around 107.2gr (about a grain less than advertised), but retained all of their weight, and expanded to about .65 inches into water jugs (about 30 feet away).

I'm planning on running some more tests soon with some ballistics gel, and compare to the 130gr Styx Action.
We'll also get some of these chrono'd and do some accuracy testing at longer distances.

A note about the brass - it's of really high quality from Switzerland, but it's crimped and sealed for duty use, it's not as optimal for reloaders.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with how it performed and the offhand accuracy I was getting with it. I'll update this thread with more information in the weeks to come.

It's currently 50% off right now $24.95 / box of 30 if you're interested -- could be great for hunting pigs.

108grStyx 1.jpg
108gr Styx 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@cash_tx this is calling your name!

I finally got around to testing out some of this SwissP 300 BLK ammo (folks have been asking for way too long). The first test today was out of a suppressed Ruger Ranch (16" barrel). The bullets weighed in right around 107.2gr (about a grain less than advertised), but retained all of their weight, and expanded to about .65 inches into water jugs (about 30 feet away).

I'm planning on running some more tests soon with some ballistics gel, and compare to the 130gr Styx Action.
We'll also get some of these chrono'd and do some accuracy testing at longer distances.

A note about the brass - it's of really high quality from Switzerland, but it's crimped and sealed for duty use, it's not as optimal for reloaders.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with how it performed and the offhand accuracy I was getting with it. I'll update this thread with more information in the weeks to come.

It's currently 50% off right now $24.95 / box of 30 if you're interested -- could be great for hunting pigs.

This looks like a phenomenal deal, and an awesome performer. My only concern is how they will do in my new 16" upper with a 1:8 twist. Based on the twist rate charts I see online, the 1:8 twist seems more suited to a ~200gr subsonic bullet. Do you have any insight to share on this? What twist rate were you using in your test? Thanks! :)

I’m not an expert on this, but I would think it is unlikely to be too fast of a twist for you to use this bullet. Usually, I think, too fast of a twist is a concern for high velocity and thin jacket/frangible type ammo that tends to come apart easily. Being a mono (albeit apparently pretty soft if it expands so well at low speed), I wouldn’t expect there to be a concern for a fast twist.

Anyone else have differing knowledge on this?

The Ruger Ranch has a 1:7 twist rate.

I have a Sig Rattler with a 5.5" barrel and a 1:5 twist rate that I'll probably try out sometime next week and report back.

FWIW my bear Creek 300 blk has a 1:8 twist at 16” bbl and shoots 110gr tac-tx (not subsonic) wonderfully…

I get roughly 1.5 moa (not bad from a budget AR at all) and perfect reliability… several hundred rounds through it at this point both suppressed and unsupressed and never a single malfunction…

Granted the Barnes bullet has a different profile than the swissp… but if a 16” 1:8 twist will shoot a 110gr mono metal well I would think it would shoot a 108gr almost identically

I did a little more testing today with the SwissP 300 BLK 108gr Lead Free High Velocity (LF HV) Styx Action.

Today, I took out (picture 1) an AR with an 8" 1:7 twist barrel (mostly Aero and BA parts). Note, this is the same twist rate as the Ruger Ranch 16" barrel. The AR was equipped with a PA GLX 2x prism scope, and the Ruger Ranch has a 1-6x Burris RT6. The cans consisted of a YHM Resonator R2 and a Ballistic Research and Machine 30 cal can (local company, full auto rated titanium can, with a flow through style design).

Picture 2 is of a 5 shot group with the Ruger Ranch from a bench, using the bipod (AT 25 YARDS). I want to emphasize that because it's as far as I could shoot today while also having the chance to destroy lots of water jugs. We plan to do some longer range testing in the near future. Anyway, it's a little over half an inch, so you can interpolate if you want, but I at least wanted to show something. Optic magnification was 6x.

Picture 3 is of a 5 shot group with the AR. As you can see it opened up a little to under an inch, but to be fair, that's also probably partially me. I used a sand bag for support. Optic magnification was 2x.

Picture 4 is of the comparison between the 108gr Lead Free Styx Action and the 130gr Styx Action (lead core) through water jugs. As you can see, the 108gr lead free bullet expanded nicely and retained all of its weight. The 130gr Styx Action fragmented and I was only able to find bits and pieces of the jacket and lead core. It was absolutely a violent terminal impact, but it also did not penetrate as far as the 108gr. The 108gr lead free bullet went through an additional water jug (If I remember correctly, four).

Picture 5 is of the expansion diameter of the lead free bullet through the 8" AR barrel. It's slightly less than out of the Ruger Ranch, which makes sense. (We will chrono these in the near future and get you guys some actual velocities).

For about half the cost as the Barnes VOR-TX 110gr, I think it's performing pretty well so far.

rifles 300 BLK.jpg
bolt action group 25 yards.jpg
AR group 25 yards.jpg
108gr LF vs 130 gr lead core.jpg
Expansion 8 inch barrel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Regena23K

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,