Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 reviews

BeMo

Reaction score
Member of
DSC
Hunted
South Africa
I am looking at buying a Swaro Z3 4-12x50 for a R8 in .300 Win mag. I have a Zeiss and several Leupold's and love them but want to give Swaro a try without breaking the bank.

What are some of the pros and cons of this scope?

Hello BeMo;

Welcome to AH :)

I have a Z3 4-12x50 on my R8 .223 training barrel.

Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 in 1 inch low mount on standard .223 barrel.jpg

It is a good scope.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. There is technically a difference in the quality of the coatings between the Z3, Z6 and Z8 lines, and therefore a difference in light transmission, from 90% to 93%, but the unvarnished reality is that it takes a laboratory instrument to see the difference; the human eye is incapable of distinguishing a 3% difference in light transmission. Never mind the minute you take it to the field and dust starts depositing on the ocular and objective... The same holds true for Zeiss between the Conquest V4 and the Victory V8 lines.
  2. The big difference between Z3, Z6, Z8 is the magnification (zoom) ratio. The Z3 goes from 4x to 12x: a 3x ratio (4x3=12); the Z8 goes from 1.7x to 13.3x: a 8x ratio (1.7x8=13.6). Will this change your life? Admittedly, on a DG scope, the ability to go down to 1x is precious, but on a PG scope, especially mounted on a .300, I doubt many folks would use it below 4x, if that low.
  3. There is also likely some difference in construction, and the use of synthetic materials as opposed to metal, although, nowadays, this criteria is almost irrelevant due to best-quality synthetics being as strong, and often stronger, than metal.
  4. The Z3 4-12 has a 50 mm objective, while the Z8 1.7-13.3 has a 42 mm objective. Factually, there is better light transmission, especially at high magnification, from a 50 mm objective. But this is no game-changing.
  5. The Z3 4-12 has a 1" tube, while the Z8 1.7-13.3 has a 30 mm tube. Factually, there is slightly better light transmission, and more importantly significantly more reticle elevation adjustability, with a 30 mm tube. But this is no game-changing.
In summary, the main practical (emphasis: practical) difference between a Z3 4-12x50 and a Z8 1.7-13.3x42 is price. The Z3 costs $950, while the Z8 costs $3,850. Can you justify an almost $3,000 difference?

As suggested above, the arguments for the Z8 are more emotional than practical/technical. There is no question that owning the very best is satisfying, and that talking about / showing your Z8 will earn you a higher "status" than talking about / showing your Z3. If this is important to you, and if you can afford it, go for a Z8, you will not be disappointed.

I am personally on the other end of that spectrum. I attach exactly zero importance to the "status" of the Z8 (or Victory V8 at Zeiss'; or Noctivid at Leica's) and I believe that the most rational purchasing decision (the best "bang for the buck") is with the Z3 (or the Conquest V4 line at Zeiss', or the Trinovid at Leica's, etc.)

One parting suggestion: if you are using a laser range finder (as is extremely likely nowadays), strongly consider getting the ballistic turret. It is extremely easy to set, and on a .300 it will take away the guess - and inevitable errors, especially in the field under physical and emotional stress - associated with MPBR (Maximum Point-Blank Range) sighting and hold-over at reasonably long distance. I am not taking 600 or 800 yards (which one could do, but I do not see the point for hunting), but just 300 or 400 yards shooting is made so much simpler by simply clicking and putting the cross hair where you want the bullet to land.

I have it on the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 on my .223 barrel, which I use as a trainer, and I have it on the two Zeiss V4 4-16x50 on my .257 Wby and .300 Wby barrels. It truly is a game changer.

Zeiss V4 4-16x50 in 30 mm high mount on standard .257 Wby barrel.jpg

Everything being said, and for whatever my opinion means, I give the Z3 4-12x50 an unconditional endorsement. I also own Zeiss, Leica, and Schmidt & Bender scopes, some costing 3 times as much, and the Z3 performs just as well and is just as reliable, although, admittedly, less "sexy".

I hope this was useful and will help you in your decision :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerriDwigh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.