Survey: Your Favorite .30 Caliber

I don't own rifles in either caliber, but I did shoot a coyote with a .243 that my brother had once. He died. But you can't think that a .243 is more useful than the 6.5 CM for a kid to.use on deer and antelope. I have had follow up on a couple of bucks and feral hogs that others have hit with .243s and have not been impressed. When my grandson is a little older I intend to buy a 6.5 or 260 Rem for him and not a .243 as the ballistics are clearly superior.
That’s just what I did 24 years ago. He STILL hunts deer with it.

.300 win mag for me
Have come to really appreciate the trajectory of the .300 magnum. Don't really have to think about yardages very much. If it's long enough to really think about bullet drop with a .300 win mag, I probably need to get closer haha. My longest shot on game was about 160 yards which was point blank

I don't own rifles in either caliber, but I did shoot a coyote with a .243 that my brother had once. He died. But you can't think that a .243 is more useful than the 6.5 CM for a kid to.use on deer and antelope. I have had follow up on a couple of bucks and feral hogs that others have hit with .243s and have not been impressed. When my grandson is a little older I intend to buy a 6.5 or 260 Rem for him and not a .243 as the ballistics are clearly superior.
@Doug Hamilton
That's sounds like typical 243 performance to me. A nice 250 Savage, 257 Roberts or 25-06 instead of a 6.5.
Bob

I possess just by chance a .30-06. In 2012, an acquired relative (he married my cousin) offered me a fully stocked (across the Atlantic they it "Mannlicher style) CZ in .30-06.
Having played for a long time with idea of a "Stutzen" (German name for fully stocked rifles) I accepted, discovering that the short and handy Czech was very accurate.
In 10 years, with that rifle I shot: 4 roes, 1 boar, 4 mouflons (females), 1 fallow, 1 blessbock, 1 warthog, 1 wildebeest, 2 impalas.
Besides being a good rifle, it is a memory of a fine guy that left us a couple of years ago.

That is very much like what I did. 40 years ago I got a really good deal on a Whitworth Express in .458. I took it to Zimbabwe and killed a buffalo. One of those the just fits. I had a Model 70 type safety and Timney trigger installed. I can't think of any changes that need to be made. As the years went by I got another Mark X action, a semi inleted stock in nice walnut, and a barrel in .300 Win Mag. I had a first rate gunsmith put this all together with the same safety and trigger as the .458. Now I have two almost identical rifles that work well for a two rifle safari. This August I took both to Africa. After checking the zeros, I only got to fire one round from the .458, but it piled up the buffalo bull. I got to shoot the .300 more, but either way I am absolutely familiar with the function.
@Doug Hamilton
That's sounds like typical 243 performance to me. A nice 250 Savage, 257 Roberts or 25-06 instead of a 6.5.
Bob
I would agree, but where are you going to find a new kid-sized rifle in any of those calibers? Way easier to get something in .260/6.5 and I know that you would think those ate better choices than .243. Right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangalbhanu

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia