Suggestions for a crossbow

Keep it coming folks because I'm learning. Didn't know that cross bow strings have to be changed every 200 shots!

Keep it coming folks because I'm learning. Didn't know that cross bow strings have to be changed every 200 shots!

I think you can get more then 200 shots, use wax and rail lube and it really saves them. But as mentioned you don't really shoot it that much. I have shot mine maybe 20 times this year.

Excalibur will win hands down with string changes, being a recurve you can do it in 5 minutes. No training required.

Charlie- Interesting post because I'm in the same boat- looking for a new crossbow. I currently have an Excalibur recurve which I like due to the ability to change strings easily without a bow press. I've been looking at Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme a lot lately- reverse draw and appears very accurate with crazy Kinetic energy. I'm hoping to do a crossbow hunt for Cape buffalo in the future- There was previous post by Stocky who did the same with Scorpyd. Saving $ for trip hopefully in next couple years. Good luck with search and keep us posted- also always enjoy your trip reports!

Charlie, pick a date and we'll go shoot my Excalibur.

Don't listen to them Charlie, get an Excalibur. Just by removing 2 bolts you can remove the limb assembly and your entire crossbow fits into a rifle case. This means that your 300WM and your crossbow will fit into the same case on your next trip to Africa. No other crossbow in the world can do that.

Charlie,
I too have been bitten by the crossbow bug. Of course I was bitten early in life with the inherent fascination of the device. I made one in school as a freshman woodworking project. When we finished we took them out back and shot them. Imagine doing that in today's world!
I've still not bought one but I like the Excaliber after speaking to reps at the SHOT show a while back. They make a compact version the is easy to handle.
Best of luck shopping for your new toy!
Regards,
Philip

@Philip Glass thanks for the thoughts. I don't know what I'll get but it will be fun looking.

Charlie, I freely admit that I'm biased. I like things that are simple and robust. The Excaliber Crossbow is just that. Their newest model with the reverse limbs is extremely narrow and should work well in confined spaces like a tree stand. My Excaliber is the older Matrix model. It consistently puts multiple bolts into a 2" circle at fifty yards. The boys and I have used them on a number of Deer and Hogs. Although I don't recommend doing it, supposedly the Excaliber can be dry-fired without damaging the bow. I'm not aware of other manufacturers making that same claim. As far as the noise is concerned there are a number of Excaliber accessories to reduce it. I've taken old bucks from my tree stand at 40 & 50 yards, neither made any move to "jump" the arrow.

I forgot to concur with lubing the rails and waxing the string. I keep a spare string in the bow case, it can be installed in the field in a couple of minutes. No need to take it to a shop like you do with other bows.

I used an Excalibur 380. Fast. It actually takes a bit of force to draw it. Also, I find it loud. I am confident that it will take most things you choose to point it at. And it is a smidgen more accurate than a laser. However, I am going to trade it in as a payment towards a bow...the bug has bitten me. Be warned, it is a gateway drug to the world of bow hunting.

"Oops" Excaliber's new design just offers narrower limbs, not a reverse limb. The new Excaliber Micro is available in several speed ranges, one of which matches the 355 fps of my older Matrix.

"Oops" Excaliber's new design just offers narrower limbs, not a reverse limb. The new Excaliber Micro is available in several speed ranges, one of which matches the 355 fps of my older Matrix.

Art you and I need to go to Cabelas

Whatever bow you get or have, be sure to read the instructions in regards to lubing the rail. Some models (even within the same make) specifically say do not.

I shot my new Parker Thunderhawk this weekend and it shoots perfect at 30 yards. The trigger is crisp but heavy - about 7-8 pounds probably. Unless stated, they are all going to be that way.

One thing I found out this weekend. The point of impact will (likely) be different if you use a crankcocker vs just muscling it back. For me it shot 4" off in windage @ 30 yards. It makes sense, the crank pulls both sides back evenly and even if you muscle it back consistently it's likely to be consistently canted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]