Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am confused. I will be reloading my 450-400 DR. I see Swift A Frames in 400 caliber 400 grains .408 and .411 diameter and am wondering if these will work? Why the difference? I bought a lot of Hornady DGX Bonded to hunt Buffalo and see everyone’s opinion on it. Therefore I want to reload brass after practice with either Woodleigh or Swift A Frames

your thoughts?

If it is a old DR slug the barrel if newer make find out from maker what barrel size is they where made from.408 to .411. Newer ones tend to be .411

It’s a brand new Chaupuis

My understanding is that current production .450-400 3" chambered rifles are fitted with barrels of .410" groove diameter. For my Merkel I chose the new Hornady DGX Bonded and experienced no problems. It performed fine on a Buffalo and a bull elk. The .410" Woodleigh would be good too, and it shoots accurately from my rifle. The Swift A frame bullets that I bought but have not tried yet are .410" diameter.

just go with the swift that is meant for your groove diameter and never look back.
bruce.

I'm using A-frames in my Heym with RL15 and like the 470NE they have been better regulated than
factory ammo (DGX and Federals respectively) JJ and Bill at Swift have been extremely helpful.

The bullets I buy for my VC double are .410. As said earlier that is the new standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fox1

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt