Stupid Question

Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Joined
Dec 23, 2018
Messages
7,769
Reaction score
20,826
Location
Atlanta GA
Media
42
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
6
I am confused. I will be reloading my 450-400 DR. I see Swift A Frames in 400 caliber 400 grains .408 and .411 diameter and am wondering if these will work? Why the difference? I bought a lot of Hornady DGX Bonded to hunt Buffalo and see everyone’s opinion on it. Therefore I want to reload brass after practice with either Woodleigh or Swift A Frames

your thoughts?
 
If it is a old DR slug the barrel if newer make find out from maker what barrel size is they where made from.408 to .411. Newer ones tend to be .411
 
It’s a brand new Chaupuis
 
My understanding is that current production .450-400 3" chambered rifles are fitted with barrels of .410" groove diameter. For my Merkel I chose the new Hornady DGX Bonded and experienced no problems. It performed fine on a Buffalo and a bull elk. The .410" Woodleigh would be good too, and it shoots accurately from my rifle. The Swift A frame bullets that I bought but have not tried yet are .410" diameter.
 
just go with the swift that is meant for your groove diameter and never look back.
bruce.
 
I'm using A-frames in my Heym with RL15 and like the 470NE they have been better regulated than
factory ammo (DGX and Federals respectively) JJ and Bill at Swift have been extremely helpful.
 
The bullets I buy for my VC double are .410. As said earlier that is the new standard.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,931
Members
169,652
Latest member
relianceenvironmentalllc
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top