Strap for 4 Stable sticks?

I would very much agree with you about quads being a more stable platform once you are accustomed to them...with qualifiers.

Practicing at the range vs putting them in the field (effectively) takes more than a few minutes to get good at it. I would also say that shooting from a tripod isn't much different, but the time to come up to proficient level is quicker. I would expect to spend several hours doing dry fire practice with whatever kind of sticks you plan on using.

The deployment of the sticks are where the majority of the problems occur. At the range, no issues because I'm the one setting up the sticks. On a safari things are different as the PH or tracker will be assigned this responsibility.

We took our own sticks (BOG RLD's) on safari and when we were sighting in our rifles, asked who would be in charge of the sticks. Our tracker, Norman said he would take care of it. We then spent the next 15-20 minutes going over what we would prefer when the sticks go out, followed by practicing this and getting comfortable with each other.

Whether you are using quad, tripod, bipod or mono sticks; this time spent with whoever will be deploying them is critical.

My two problems with the quad sticks is getting them deployed quickly and use on uneven terrain. For some reason quad sticks seem to take longer or the transition from the tracker to shooter isn't smooth. The tripod doesn't seem to have as much of an issue. The uneven terrain argument has been beat to death so I'll just say that tripods are better for this.

My recommendation would be to use whatever you are comfortable with but PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE! Second, dance with the one you came with. In other words take your own sticks or make sure you will be shooting from the same platform you have been doing your practice from. Shooting from a tripod at home then being asked to use quads on a hunt will not yield the best results.

EDIT - I recently sold my carbon fiber quad sticks in favor of the BOG Adrenaline tripod for big game hunting. I also use BOG Adrenaline bipod for turkey hunting or for use in a blind when sitting down.
Everything you wrote is very fair. However, I’d say the difference in practice between quad sticks and a tripod is with quad sticks you need to practice to be fast with a tripod you need to practice to be accurate. Many PHs are slowly adopting quad sticks. I’ve had no issues with the PH or tracker setting them up on my hunts after a few practice set ups at start of hunt. I’ve used them in quite a few areas, only one was unsuitable for them. I will say I see many hunters using them in what I’d consider an incorrect style though when setting them up and shooting from them in videos which makes them a lot slower or not a smooth transition as you noted.

Well, I am honored to provide entertainment!! Glad you got a laugh out of it!. Paracord comes in handy.
You're darn skippy Paracord is the best thing since Duct tape and vise grips... Is exactly what I would have done the same.. I just shot a lil bit at the Range with my new set yesterday. I really wish one of the Center sections was adjustable though. Im not that tall...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]