Starting seating depth for A-Frames

Matt_WY

AH enthusiast
Joined
Nov 27, 2018
Messages
272
Reaction score
649
Location
Wyoming
Media
98
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
1
Member of
Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance, Wild Sheep Foundation, NRA
Hunted
US, Namibia, Tanzania, South Africa
I can call wSift this week and ask, but because I'm impatient and want to work on some 300 win loads today....

Does anyone know what Swift recommends as a starting point for seating depth on A-Frames? I have 0.05 off the lands in my head, but I don't know where that came from. I can't find any reference in their manual.

Obviously, I will tweak as needed, but just want a good starting point. Thanks!
 
The Swift book gives a loaded 180 A Frame oacl at 3.340
 
Yeah, their book has the coals, but I am looking for how much jump their bullets like. (Again, as a starting point.)
 
I had a 270WBY that had a long throat, I started with the bullet dead up against the lands and moved the round back at 5thou increments and check fps and accuracy I did that until the fps and accuracy dropped off then set it were I got the best performance. Good luck with your bullet development
 
Talked to Bill (owner) at Swift today. Thought I would pass along his info in case it helps someone else here out down the road.

He said A-Frames typically like to be 30-50 thousandths off the rifling, so I'll be using that as a starting point.

Also want to say... It's the second time I have called Swift and both times Bill has called me back. He has been very helpful. Really nice to have a company that is willing to talk to and help their customers.
 
Not a 300 WM, but my 30-06 with 180 A-Frames shoots good at .050 off, but best at .135 off. I was chaising my tail on seating depth until I bedded the rifle, btw.
 
Not a 300 WM, but my 30-06 with 180 A-Frames shoots good at .050 off, but best at .135 off. I was chaising my tail on seating depth until I bedded the rifle, btw.

Thanks. That's good to know. Loaded up a couple ladders last night with different loads and seating depths so will see what it likes soon!
 
Please update and let us know how it goes, @Matt_WY.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,788
Members
170,390
Latest member
DYOHenriet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top