Starting my journey with potentially the cheapest (and ugliest?) double rifle around…the IZH94 O/U in 30-06

Hey everyone. I have had an IZH94 30-06 O/U tucked away NIB for over 20 years. Finally decided I am getting old and ugly enough I cannot fault this rifle for looking the way she does so it is time to shoot her and try to fall in love or trade her away.
For those of you unfamiliar with these rifles, Baikal made these O/Us in a variety of configurations. Most bring rifle/Shotgun combo with some being double rifle. These are based off their shotgun frames. Not sure how many they sold.
So, I need some help to see if this ugly duckling and I can make this work. I would like to mount something like a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on there. Don’t figure I will be taking any shots where an 8x won’t work for me. The top of the barrel has a dovetail cut into it. I measured it with my calipers and sketched it out. It extends 2.95 inches in length.
Does anyone have any idea what Mount type matches those dimensions?
Once we get that problem solved, someone can give me guidance on how to not need a fence post nearby to get it to break open View attachment 570316View attachment 570317View attachment 570318View attachment 570319View attachment 570320View attachment 570321View attachment 570322View attachment 570323View attachment 570324
you know what we say in the south…”you can tell a man his bird dog is ugly, but don’t tell a man his bird dog can’t hunt”

Anyone have luck with these or do they just slide around?
612AA5B8-E9CB-4DB5-BB0D-4F5E4691BE1A.jpeg

Anyone have luck with these or do they just slide around?
View attachment 577482
A little duct tape would cure any movement, and you don't have to worry about diminishing it's appearance.... :D Beer Bottle:

They didn't give you much room to work with on that rail...

edit; Would it work to use a pair of rings in front of the turret? That would eliminate the rise from that vortex 1pc mount

A little duct tape would cure any movement, and you don't have to worry about diminishing it's appearance.... :D Beer Bottle:

They didn't give you much room to work with on that rail...

edit; Would it work to use a pair of rings in front of the turret? That would eliminate the rise from that vortex 1pc mount
I might end up going back to the new rings idea. But I have not found any 11mm dovetail rings that are inexpensive ;)

The best thing here is practicing with double triggers. It was new to me with my first double and took some getting used to.

The only solution I know to your scope height issue is to use dovetail rings to mount your scope. Something similar to what the CZ550 does with their double square bridge mount.
1704032843263.png

Two problems I see with this is finding a set of rings to fit your dovetails and then getting the scope turret between them while maintaining proper eye relief. The last possible issue would be if the scope rings were QD that you would need something to index from to ensure you could return to zero after removing the scope. Or you could simply get non-QD rings because the recoil of the 30-06 isn't likely to make them slip without an indexing notch.

Doing this would drop your scope about 0.5" to 0.75", which may still make a cheek riser necessary.

Thanks. I will start scrounging through the parts bin for low scope mounts. I totally spaced it yesterday that I have a set of 11-22mm dovetail adapters that I was using. I can use those with a normal set of low scope rings.
I am not going to worry about quick detach. I am not planning on this being a 300yd rifle. I am probably going to spend hours on this scope idea and eventually wind up with the red dot back on it :)

Thanks. I will start scrounging through the parts bin for low scope mounts. I totally spaced it yesterday that I have a set of 11-22mm dovetail adapters that I was using. I can use those with a normal set of low scope rings.
I am not going to worry about quick detach. I am not planning on this being a 300yd rifle. I am probably going to spend hours on this scope idea and eventually wind up with the red dot back on it :)
Look for rimfire rings. Weaver Grand Slams are steel, and are fixed (non QD); $30 from Midway. Warne makes a good QD version, also steel, for the 3/8"-11mm dovetail. The dovetail on that rifle has a front stop, so indexing the front ring against the stop provides the indexing for QD. Putting the 2nd ring as far back as the turret allows should give adequate support, even with both in front of the turret. The Warne QDs are $55 from Midway (I just put a set on my Son's CZ 457 and Grandson's Ruger 22).

Hey everyone. I have had an IZH94 30-06 O/U tucked away NIB for over 20 years. Finally decided I am getting old and ugly enough I cannot fault this rifle for looking the way she does so it is time to shoot her and try to fall in love or trade her away.
For those of you unfamiliar with these rifles, Baikal made these O/Us in a variety of configurations. Most bring rifle/Shotgun combo with some being double rifle. These are based off their shotgun frames. Not sure how many they sold.
So, I need some help to see if this ugly duckling and I can make this work. I would like to mount something like a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on there. Don’t figure I will be taking any shots where an 8x won’t work for me. The top of the barrel has a dovetail cut into it. I measured it with my calipers and sketched it out. It extends 2.95 inches in length.
Does anyone have any idea what Mount type matches those dimensions?
Once we get that problem solved, someone can give me guidance on how to not need a fence post nearby to get it to break open View attachment 570316View attachment 570317View attachment 570318View attachment 570319View attachment 570320View attachment 570321View attachment 570322View attachment 570323View attachment 570324
@WisconsinKen
You ain't wrong it's ugly but built like a brick outhouse.
If it's a 3/8" dovetail you can use rimfire mounts or put a 3/8" pic rail adapter on it and use full size rings.
To me that rifle is screaming for a 2moa red dot but hey that's me.
Bob

Thanks Bob. It just arrived today so I might try to dig back into the project this weekend. I do like the way the red dot sits on there and the site picture.
@WisconsinKen
The ranges you will use the rifle, probably a max of 150 yards if it regulates properly the red dot will be ideal.
Bob

This came from an established seller on ebay that is located in Bulgaria. I am very pleased with the quality of this one I bought for my BRNO ZH304. They make a couple of versions for the IZH94. Do yourself a favor.

20240103_133358.jpg
20240103_133520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanKeighl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]