Starting from scratch

I vote for Charlton McCallum although I haven’t hunted with them. First class operation.

A giant thank you to all you gentlemen, for your gracious advice , and opinions. I truly am gratified by your willingness to help. My heart is looking for a traditional free range buffalo hunt. My quandary is simply if want to track across the open tangles, or chase swamp herds in open areas, with 100 or larger herds.
I say this because my adrenaline is with the magnificence of the bull in his setting, at his advantage. This is the dream I have had for decades. My thoughts are to head to the next DSC convention, with a notebook in hand full of everyone of your wisdoms shed upon me.
Finding the right PH to me is about 60% of the hunt. His wisdom is part of the hunt, as much as the buffalo. Maybe I put too much in this, but I have had a couple negative hunts here in USA and Canada . The guide was let’s say , indecisive; in calling to the situation . I do not want my first African hunt to have the same sour feeling I hold for those hunts. Let me add I’m a good, prepared client. So I expect the same in return. To add a little gun talk. I have a scoped 375 H&H, for long shots. And a red dot sighted 458 Lott for the thick stuff. I think I’m ready, and yes I can shoot both well , as I pat my sore shoulder.

I’ve only done the walking and stalking in the thick stuff so I can’t comment on the swamp herds in the open (hence why it’s on my list for the next dedicated buffalo hunt). From talking to a few people who’ve done both, all but 1 have preferred Dagga Boys in thick stuff and logging miles tracking them. Below are a few outfitters/PH’s I’ve hunted with or ones I’ve spoken to and would book with.

Mozambique
Mark Haldane - Zambezi Delta Safaris
Grant Taylor - Mashambanzou Safaris

Zimbabwe
Vaughan Whitehead (hunted with) - Mapassa Big Game
Len Taylor - CMS
Dalton York Safaris

Tanzania
Jabu Kirkland - Game Trackers Africa
Morgan Potter - Robin Hurt Safaris
Kilombero North Safaris - (I don’t think you could get a bad PH even if you aren’t hunting with Quintin or Zidane)

Botswana
James Cameron (hunted with in RSA) - Johan Calitz Safaris
Dean Cook (hunted with) - Free lancing mostly but used to work for Rann Safaris

Zambia
Strang Middleton (booked with for 2025) - Strang Middleton Safaris

South Africa
James Cameron (Hunted with) - Safari Co Africa
Jason Van Aarde - H&J Safaris (he hunts all over and did a 3 month portered foot safari last year in Tanzania for Kilombero North)

As for rifle, either will get it done in both situations but if you go for the herd hunting in the open, I’d lean more towards the scoped 375 since your shots might be a little longer.

I've had really good luck with Makore Safaris, primarily hunt with oldest brother Gary but have spent time with his brother Neil in camp and also hunted with their cousin Dougie, he was a fun guy to hunt with. Super good guys. Coutada 9 in Mozambique and Save in Zim. I think Gary is also on some action in Northern Moz, Niassa, with a buddy of his that just put up a new camp. Their level of organization before and after the hunt is excellent, attention to every detail.

Good Day Edward

I would like to invite you to have a look at Tsala Hunting Safaris.

We have our own free range area’s in Moz and a concession area in Zim.Both these areas border National Parks with no fences between us.

I would love to give you more info on both the areas.

The PH’s will either be myself or my son Brandon.

We will be at SCI again in 2025.

Regards

Rouan

Thank you for the PH references. I’ll narrow down my list this week of where I want to hunt most . Then move towards a budget for that area. My heart leads me to a traditional tracking buffalo hunt, I’m narrowing the field a bit. I hope to have a budget in place by next month.
My 458 Lott goes to Magnaport soon for a porting job.
Put together my batch of hand loads for both rifles.
Things are coming together slowly. Thank you all for your help .

I think going to the shows is the best way to book a major hunt. I had gone on 8 safaris before attending a show and didn’t understand the value before I attended my first show. I’ll go on my 13th safari next month. I’d generally like to request a PH as a condition for booking a hunt now. You can get a good feel for an outfitter and the PHs that work for them by attending the show even if you are not that specific. I’ve only gone to two shows so far, but I had the same strategy both times. I went with a list of outfitters I wanted to speak with, spoke to them all, then followed up with a shorter list the next day. Some outfitters I left with a good impression of, some more neutral, and a handful I lost all interest in hunting with after speaking to them even though they had good reputations. You can follow up further after the show.
I’d also tell you to research the outfitters/PHs that actually hold the areas vs the ones just buying quota there. I prefer to hunt with the outfitters who hold the concessions, but there are a few exceptions. Take a look at charlton McCallum Safaris in Zimbabwe for a good tracking hunt. They have some very good areas and have several really good PHs working for them.

I have heard good things about McCallum before , I will take a look closer, and yes I want to attend next convention if I’m able

Hi Edward. I have hunted with several top-notch PHs. I would be happy to introduce you. Before we get to that, are you looking for completely wild and free-range (no high fences) experiences like those found in Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique? There are also free range areas in Namibia and I’ve heard of some in South Africa. Or is your budget and starting point more inline with South Africa and Namibia high fenced ranches? I have not hunted high fence areas so my help would only be useful for wild free range areas and PHs. Let me know.
Great advice here!

To add a little more details to @Edward Wright OP... Depending upon where you go, be prepared to add on other critters for the best overall value. If your budget allows.

For example the "deal" we started with on our Tanzania hunt in 2021 was a 16 day leopard and Buffalo package that included the full or long license (21 day), leopard and first Buffalo trophy fees, rifle import, road transfer to the camp from a regional airport. Additional costs would be flights including the low cost one from Dar Es Salaam to Mbeya, additional trophy fees (decent deals but they add up), ammo tax, gratuities for a large staff (21 people). At that point we made the decision (which turned out to be a fantastic choice!) to add lion and the extra 5 days to total the 21 days the license is good for. Ours was one of those higher total cost hunts but great value for what we got...

I do not recommend putting off your first Buffalo hunt to save up for something like this. You should ho on that first hunt sooner rather than later@ However if your health is good I might suggest just this as a second hunt.... or 3rd.

Deals occasionally pop up for one or two Buffalo on a 7 to 10 day safari in Tanzania which can be quite competitive compared to even RSA Buffalo hunts, especially if compared to "free range". Things to be aware of though; Is a charter flight needed? That can quickly blow the budget, what other animals are available not only on license but also on quota for your Outfitter and finally what he allows on this "hunt".

In some situations on the truly wild hunts.... And I would classify them at a different level than the often quoted "free range" hunts in some areas and especially countries that really do not offer the same experience as hunting in a truly wilderness area.... The Outfitters put together lower cost packages but reserve some more desired or restricted quota for the full bag hunts that bring in the bigger money for them. I do think this is quite fair as the guy spending $100k plus on a "full bag" should be entitled to shoot whatever he comes across that is legal vs. the guy taking a low cost filler deal offered up on a "short license". There may also be some opportunities to share a license and split the allowed quota.

I do think Zimbabwe (and probably some other countries) offers more flexibility in being able to find truly wild hunts of less duration and for specific animals without that high cost license and probably lower cost transportation, although watch out for charter flight costs in Zimbabwe and Mozambique also. If you restrict yourself to camps that can be driven into, it will lower the overhead of your hunt. If you do charter. Try to arrange the timing to split costs such that the plane is bringing hunters out on the return from taking you in, and bringing someone in when taking you out. It may be better financially to extend your days in camp if you can split charter costs.

Finally I want to discuss the concept of finding "a" PH.... Too often I think clients and especially certain PH's seem to think they are entering into a marriage of sorts;) It has been joked about the definition of the word "friend" in Africa is "someone who gives me money" ;) Now of course that is both not true in many cases but also has a ring of truth in it. There is nothing wrong with returning to hunt with the same PH and equally nothing wrong with going with a different PH every trip. Just be aware that if you cross countries borders, such as booking with a South African PH to hunt in Zimbabwe... Your South African PH is unlikely licensed to hunt in Zimbabwe. He therefore becomes your guest to tag along on your Zimbabwe hunt. He becomes your booking agent and your companion and observer. And you are paying not only for the cost of him being in camp, but his transportation cost, his daily fee because to him he is working and needs to be earning, AND a commission to him for booking. Not only that but if he and the Zimbabwean PH speak Afrikaans and you don't, they will inevitably begin having conversations that you are now not part of and you will be sitting essentially alone at the campfire, paying for the whole damned thing plus a good profit to "your" PH! Just book directly and take a true friend along instead, it will be a much more enjoyable use of your money.

Finally an example of something I find intriguing is Dalton and York... I have not hunted with them but the thing I like that they offer is a fair daily rate that is the same no matter what DG you are hunting. Then trophy fees on what you shoot. They just really seem to have a very straight up and fair pricing plan and are developing a good reputation. There are others also, I only mention them as they come to mind at the moment and there are several hunt reports with them on here;) Probably not an issue if booking only a buffalo hunt, or Buffalo as the only dangerous game.... But many Outfitters charge more per day if hunting lion and Buffalo for example vs only Buffalo. I really don't believe their costs are much higher, they simply charge more because they can;)

Great advice here!

To add a little more details to @Edward Wright OP... Depending upon where you go, be prepared to add on other critters for the best overall value. If your budget allows.

For example the "deal" we started with on our Tanzania hunt in 2021 was a 16 day leopard and Buffalo package that included the full or long license (21 day), leopard and first Buffalo trophy fees, rifle import, road transfer to the camp from a regional airport. Additional costs would be flights including the low cost one from Dar Es Salaam to Mbeya, additional trophy fees (decent deals but they add up), ammo tax, gratuities for a large staff (21 people). At that point we made the decision (which turned out to be a fantastic choice!) to add lion and the extra 5 days to total the 21 days the license is good for. Ours was one of those higher total cost hunts but great value for what we got...

I do not recommend putting off your first Buffalo hunt to save up for something like this. You should ho on that first hunt sooner rather than later@ However if your health is good I might suggest just this as a second hunt.... or 3rd.

Deals occasionally pop up for one or two Buffalo on a 7 to 10 day safari in Tanzania which can be quite competitive compared to even RSA Buffalo hunts, especially if compared to "free range". Things to be aware of though; Is a charter flight needed? That can quickly blow the budget, what other animals are available not only on license but also on quota for your Outfitter and finally what he allows on this "hunt".

In some situations on the truly wild hunts.... And I would classify them at a different level than the often quoted "free range" hunts in some areas and especially countries that really do not offer the same experience as hunting in a truly wilderness area.... The Outfitters put together lower cost packages but reserve some more desired or restricted quota for the full bag hunts that bring in the bigger money for them. I do think this is quite fair as the guy spending $100k plus on a "full bag" should be entitled to shoot whatever he comes across that is legal vs. the guy taking a low cost filler deal offered up on a "short license". There may also be some opportunities to share a license and split the allowed quota.

I do think Zimbabwe (and probably some other countries) offers more flexibility in being able to find truly wild hunts of less duration and for specific animals without that high cost license and probably lower cost transportation, although watch out for charter flight costs in Zimbabwe and Mozambique also. If you restrict yourself to camps that can be driven into, it will lower the overhead of your hunt. If you do charter. Try to arrange the timing to split costs such that the plane is bringing hunters out on the return from taking you in, and bringing someone in when taking you out. It may be better financially to extend your days in camp if you can split charter costs.

Finally I want to discuss the concept of finding "a" PH.... Too often I think clients and especially certain PH's seem to think they are entering into a marriage of sorts;) It has been joked about the definition of the word "friend" in Africa is "someone who gives me money" ;) Now of course that is both not true in many cases but also has a ring of truth in it. There is nothing wrong with returning to hunt with the same PH and equally nothing wrong with going with a different PH every trip. Just be aware that if you cross countries borders, such as booking with a South African PH to hunt in Zimbabwe... Your South African PH is unlikely licensed to hunt in Zimbabwe. He therefore becomes your guest to tag along on your Zimbabwe hunt. He becomes your booking agent and your companion and observer. And you are paying not only for the cost of him being in camp, but his transportation cost, his daily fee because to him he is working and needs to be earning, AND a commission to him for booking. Not only that but if he and the Zimbabwean PH speak Afrikaans and you don't, they will inevitably begin having conversations that you are now not part of and you will be sitting essentially alone at the campfire, paying for the whole damned thing plus a good profit to "your" PH! Just book directly and take a true friend along instead, it will be a much more enjoyable use of your money.

Finally an example of something I find intriguing is Dalton and York... I have not hunted with them but the thing I like that they offer is a fair daily rate that is the same no matter what DG you are hunting. Then trophy fees on what you shoot. They just really seem to have a very straight up and fair pricing plan and are developing a good reputation. There are others also, I only mention them as they come to mind at the moment and there are several hunt reports with them on here;) Probably not an issue if booking only a buffalo hunt, or Buffalo as the only dangerous game.... But many Outfitters charge more per day if hunting lion and Buffalo for example vs only Buffalo. I really don't believe their costs are much higher, they simply charge more because they can;)
I second the part about booking directly. If I want to hunt South Africa I’ll hunt with a South African outfitter. If I want to hunt Zimbabwe I’ll book with a Zimbabwe outfitter. The outfitters and PHs that hunt in their areas full time know it best.

A giant thank you to all you gentlemen, for your gracious advice , and opinions. I truly am gratified by your willingness to help. My heart is looking for a traditional free range buffalo hunt. My quandary is simply if want to track across the open tangles, or chase swamp herds in open areas, with 100 or larger herds.
I say this because my adrenaline is with the magnificence of the bull in his setting, at his advantage. This is the dream I have had for decades. My thoughts are to head to the next DSC convention, with a notebook in hand full of everyone of your wisdoms shed upon me.
Finding the right PH to me is about 60% of the hunt. His wisdom is part of the hunt, as much as the buffalo. Maybe I put too much in this, but I have had a couple negative hunts here in USA and Canada . The guide was let’s say , indecisive; in calling to the situation . I do not want my first African hunt to have the same sour feeling I hold for those hunts. Let me add I’m a good, prepared client. So I expect the same in return. To add a little gun talk. I have a scoped 375 H&H, for long shots. And a red dot sighted 458 Lott for the thick stuff. I think I’m ready, and yes I can shoot both well , as I pat my sore shoulder.
Good day sir,

We have several areas for you to choose from that will offer you this exact experience you are looking for. We can also discuss the options in deeper depth if your interested.

Please get in touch with us through DM so we can the send the information to you via email.

All my best,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaNilk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.