Specifying a double rifle

Darn you SWS1, I wanted one. Now that I typed it out. I really want one.
Curses!

There are some great classic doubles in the 20-30k range for sale on GI right now. If you can hand load for ammo, wouldn’t hesitate and buy a peice of history. Adds to the whole experience imo.

With how the NZD is and if you dont want to chew into that game fund you may be better off looking for a Chapuis. Not sure about the import them now after our last leader made you all safe.... mIght be easier to pick one up in OZ and take it back.

If I were in your position I'd go with the new Rigby boxlock or Heym. I think the new Rigby boxlock is around a 2 year lead time which isn't too bad considering other makers like Heym, Westley etc seem to be getting out to the 4 year mark now?
I'm also a bit biased cause I'm a Rigby fan boy so I'll always lean that way. Have you reached out to Tom Auger at Protactical in Australia? Protactical in Australia is the distributor of Rigby in NZ as well.

If I were in your position I'd go with the new Rigby boxlock or Heym. I think the new Rigby boxlock is around a 2 year lead time which isn't too bad considering other makers like Heym, Westley etc seem to be getting out to the 4 year mark now?
I'm also a bit biased cause I'm a Rigby fan boy so I'll always lean that way. Have you reached out to Tom Auger at Protactical in Australia? Protactical in Australia is the distributor of Rigby in NZ as well.
Thank you. Yes i thought Heym were looking at a 2027 delivery date if ordered in 2023..
Have you any photos of the new rigby? My understanding was that they had sold all of the initial run of 20...
I've just taken delivery of a beautiful Charles Lancaster and have reached out to them to see what they can do too..

I would get the K gun with the selectable extractor/ejectors, have it fitted. Get mounted for a Red Dot and an Swaro Rail mount Z8, 1-8 and 2-16. And to get more use, get 06 or 300WM or 375 barrels while you're at it.

Thank you. Yes i thought Heym were looking at a 2027 delivery date if ordered in 2023..
Have you any photos of the new rigby? My understanding was that they had sold all of the initial run of 20...
I've just taken delivery of a beautiful Charles Lancaster and have reached out to them to see what they can do too..
They are still made to order, I got a quote earlier this year, Tom has photos of the one they had as a display model that Rigby was cruising around the world with to show at different events. I've seen the photos, I like it.

I saw the display model in the gray, it still had several features that were apparently to be altered before production, like the oversized doll’s head. I couldn’t love it in that form, but if anyone has photos of the finished item please can you post them. Several of my friends have ordered them, I hope it turns out well. I think Rigby owes it to all of them to get a finished gun out in the field working hard asap to iron out any bumps before deliveries are made.

I saw the display model in the gray, it still had several features that were apparently to be altered before production, like the oversized doll’s head. I couldn’t love it in that form, but if anyone has photos of the finished item please can you post them. Several of my friends have ordered them, I hope it turns out well. I think Rigby owes it to all of them to get a finished gun out in the field working hard asap to iron out any bumps before deliveries are made.

Photos I have of it the barrels are still in the white

This is what I went with when I had the chance to order my double. It's in .450 NE.
Heym-1.jpg

I’ve been sent the photos of the one that was the display one… yes several features that weren’t to my taste.
Yes I’d like to see the finished model too.

@JvW how do you find the handling with that slim Forend? As in control of recoil with grip on the forestock? Lovely clean lines by the way (y)
No problems at all for me. I much prefer a splinter forend to a beavertail of any sorts. After a couple of shots the barrels heat up, but a cheap pair of gloves in my range bag sorts that out in no time. The barrels are 26" and nicely tapered, so the balance is superb. As the stock was made to my dimensions, the rifle fits like a glove and it is a pleasure to shoot. Because it's a .450, I asked that it be made on a .450/400 frame, so it's a neat package at just over 10 pounds.

Does anyone know where the new boxlock will be made? Rigby’s workshop is quite a small affair with no major machinery, more like a finishing shop.

Does anyone know where the new boxlock will be made? Rigby’s workshop is quite a small affair with no major machinery, more like a finishing shop.
When I was there in June they were cramped, however I was told they were going to move to a bigger place.

The prototype Rigby Boxlock when it visited here in August with Marc & Jerome. I think I've posted it here before. Not my best ever photo :E Shrug:

Rigby Boxlock.jpg

I see the wood comes right up to the fences, which is not the most attractive. But I suppose it adds a little to the wood strength.

Rigby boxlock.jpg

Rigby 2.jpg

The new Rigby boxlock...in the white.. .500NE..?

So the Heym 89 and this new Rigby (and Westley Richards boxlock..) are basically remakes of the pre-WW2 Webley long bar actioned boxlocks, albeit with modern barrel steel to cope with modern harder bullets..? I wonder what the Rigby will cost compared to Heyms 89..?

WR will not even quote a starting price..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyewrtcvf5876

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]