South Africa

Thomas1212

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got the invite to go on a hunt in South Africa in 2025. I want to prepare myself in whatever ways I can. I was hoping for some recommendations of podcasts, books, maybe even other forums. We are still hashing out the details with the outfitter and whatnot now, but I am excited to say the least.

For those that have been, what are you thoughts on taking your own rifle vs renting one. I really like the idea of bringing my own, but I am not entire sure how the rest of my party feels. In terms of taxidermy is it better to have them do it and ship or tan and ship over?

These are just a few questions I have right now, I'm sure more will pop up.

Thanks in advance

Hello all,

I just got the invite to go on a hunt in South Africa in 2025. I want to prepare myself in whatever ways I can. I was hoping for some recommendations of podcasts, books, maybe even other forums. We are still hashing out the details with the outfitter and whatnot now, but I am excited to say the least.

For those that have been, what are you thoughts on taking your own rifle vs renting one. I really like the idea of bringing my own, but I am not entire sure how the rest of my party feels. In terms of taxidermy is it better to have them do it and ship or tan and ship over?

Thanks in advance

@Thomas1212

Welcome to the AH.com Forum! As Pablo mentioned to you in his reply, the answers to your questions have been thoroughly discussed in these forums. Many are ongoing discussions that I'm sure you will find very helpful and informative. The search feature will get you started. (y)

Hello all,

Thanks in advance
Full transparency - I absolutely despise UA and Delta. They have a history with SAPS and with hunters.

The missus and I just hunted Limpopo the back half of August, we just got back to Houston a week ago. My best friend flew UA through EWR. He and a number of other hunters arrived at JNB to discover their rifles were still sitting in EWR.

We flew Qatar Air through Doha, with an upgrade to econ+. It was about $2K cheaper than trying to do the same thing with UA or Delta (via ATL). We had about an extra 4-5 hours of air time with Qatar, saved a couple thousand USD, and I was able to use my own rifles (I'm a lefty, with cape buffalo on the menu).

Unless you're a handloader with your own pet loads, you will do just as well to rent a camp rifle, though. I have very custom loads for my 9.3x62 and my 6.5x55. if your regular white tail rifle is something like a 30'06, 308 Win, 270 Win, 7mm RM, and you're RH, you would be just as well off to rent a 30'06 or 300 WM from your outfitter. If you use Gracy Travel, bringing your own rifle is a piece of cake. It took me all of 5 minutes to clear SAPS when I got to JNB. Took me another 5 minutes to clear SAPS on my way out.

My rifles arrived with no issues. My friend ended up having to rent a camp rifle.

Every question you have will be answered in these forums:

For those that have been, what are you thoughts on taking your own rifle vs renting one
Many will say, go with rental rifle, no issue.
Me, on the other hand, will say the opposite.

There is no reason to doubt rental rifles. But what you dont know, is what kind of ammunition you will get. The bullet is missing link in entire planning on rental rifle.

I was on four safaris so far.
I have seen some woundings and game losses in the camp on big antelopes with cheap bullets on rental guns.

So, my strong recommendation is take your rifle, and your premium ammunition.

In terms of taxidermy is it better to have them do it and ship or tan and ship over?
This is question on cost, and question on quality.

1. Cost. I do dip and pack, ship home and do taxidermy at home. In my calculation this is cheaper. (quite a lot cheaper, but I live in Europe, maybe it will not apply to you)

2. Quality. I cannot say if the African quality of taxidermy is better or not. There have been some complaints on African taxidermy on arrival - on this forum. Some clients here have been satisfied.

Safari full service - if you travel "with style":
There is always option, you want full package in logistics because its easier, regardless of cost, set up everything in Africa, make shoulder mounts, pay for everything, wait for delivery, nail them on the wall upon receipt.
This is hassle free - then do taxidermy locally - if that is the target. Otherwise after delivery of salted hides, you will need to look for taxidermists in your vicinity.

I think that overall, the biggest issue is cost planning on taxidermy, and shipping.
Safari budget planning is straight fwd affair (flights + package + extra cost and tips), until you come to taxidermy and shipping. (this is the biggest issue)

Then if you go with group of friends to safari, to make the list of taxidermy of what entire group wants will be difficult, and later people can change their mind.
For example, 4 hunters, 20 animals. To make the list of taxidermy and ask for price quote will be difficult.
On my first hunt, I did not know even what to ask? Will I have three shoulder mounts, or 4, will I take any rag? How to decide?

Then how can I ask for price quote? Price quote for taxidermy is then one thing, and price quote for shipping is another.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ledigamespro

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]