SOUTH AFRICA: Waterberg SA Safari - Progress

Roan: .243 Tikka

First shot was single lung. It didn’t have an exit hole. That 1 shot probably was enough because he didn’t go far and laid straight down with blood in the nose. Second shot was through left shoulder and went straight through and out of the right shoulder. Through the top of the heart and both lungs.

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3136.jpeg

IMG_3142.jpeg

IMG_3143.jpeg

Lechewe: .243 Tikka:

2 broadside shots at over 300 yards in fairly quick succession. Both heart and lungs are shot.

IMG_3342.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

Two recovered 80 Grain Barnes TTSX bullets.

IMG_3456.jpeg

IMG_3455.jpeg

img_3458-jpeg.633942

IMG_3461.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Accommodations

Main Camp:

My Cabin/Chalet
IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

Camp Lodge & Chalets/Cabins:
IMG_2892.jpeg

IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3482.jpeg
    IMG_3482.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
Emirates Airline:

I will fly Emirates, if possible, before Delta. Emirates was great in so many ways:
1. Price - less than $2,500 with exit row seat upgrades. Used my personal travel agent who understands how to book for hunters. Booked a couple months out…
2. Communication - clear and concise from, email, to phone calls, to direct conversation at ticketing, rifle and ammo check in, and throughout the whole process to include a weapons transit form for Emirates.
3. Seat selection - Easy and convenient.
4. Nice polite and helpful people to deal with from each end.
5. Dubai airport is an amazing place to layover vs Atlanta.
6. No flight cancellations or changes to deal with like Delta.
7. My rifle checked all the way through to Joberg from San Francisco.
8. My economy seats were great.
9. Nice equipment (Airbus).
10. They understand hunters, rifle, and ammo check in processes.
11. More food than I could eat and quality was good.
12. Friendly flight attendants that covered over 20 languages each flight.
13. Layover times varied. I chose a longer layover in Dubai going to RSA because of uncertainty. I just wanted to leave SFO early, so it was a little over 7 hours. Worked out good on the first leg because I was able to shower in the Hotel lounge using my priority pass. My return layover was about 4 hours, which was enough time to transit through. Allowed time to stretch my legs, do a little shopping, eat, and shower in the lounge.
14. A morning arrival was very important to me! I don’t like the Delta late flight and having to stay the night at a safe house/guest house. It was nice to be on my way to camp by 11:30am. I hunted that night!
15. They didn’t charge me for oversize or additional checked luggage. I may have lucked out for both directions this time.
16. I got priority assistance and to the front of the line because I had weapons and ammo. They knew who to call and understood the process of rifle permits and check in on both directions. Gave them my passport and they had my forms in minutes! Made things so easy!
17. My rifle checked all the way back through to San Francisco from Joberg.

I thought about business class and laying down most of the time. I’m 6’-2” and 230 pounds. I’m in my early 50’s, so it made sense to consider. I did fine with my seat selection. I booked early enough to get the same seat each flight and both directions. Exit row, no one in front of me, room to stand up and stretch, steps away from the bathroom. And, I saved a lot of money! More money for more animals to hunt!

IMG_3801.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TerranceYc

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles