SOUTH AFRICA: Ubathi Global Safaris 2023

Moe324

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I wish I would of been a active user when I did this hunt in 2023 so I could do a proper day by day report. I bought this hunt as a PHASA auction hunt in 2021. From day one the owners were great at communicating back and forth with me. The details of the package was a Golden wildebeest for one hunter, a second hunter could come. If both hunters took 4 animals each hunter would receive a $1500 credit on the bill. It included daily fees and airport shuttle. Originally when I bought the hunt my friend Dave from Las Vegas was going to go with me. Unfortunately he broke his leg and required surgery from it so he had to cancel. Using Facebook I found a father and son from North Carolina that decided they would like to go. Ronald Barnard and his team were very good at answering all their questions too. I would be traveling to Europe after the hunt so I told Ronald I would be renting a gun. My list of animals besides the golden wildebeast was mainly night hunts and I wanted to start the tiny ten. The guys from North Carolina were after Impala, warthog, blue wildebeest, and gemsbuck. I told Ronald in advance my number one priority was a honey badger. We discussed all the animals I would need permits for and we sided on it was better to have a permit then not to. After a more then 2 years of planning it was finally time for the hunt. We got the extra special treatment of sitting on the runway for 2hrs in Newark waiting for a thunderstorm to past. Finally we were off. Ronald and Emil met us at the airport along with a father and son that would be hunting in camp too. We stopped for Whimpy burgers on the drive to Limpopo. We arrived at camp and went to bed it was late after the delay flying in. The next morning I met my PH Hein Lottering and my tracker Alfred. Hein was neighbors with Ronalds lodge. Hein owns his own lodge and outfit called Limpopo Hunting Safaris. Ronald had arranged for Hein to be my PH because he specifically specializes in night hunting. I would spend the next 8 days hunting with Hein. The duo from North Carolina would be hunting with Ronalds main PH Emil. I really wish I would of kept a journal of the hunt. As know it all kinds of blends together. Maybe because during that week of hunting I think I only averaged 4 hours of solid sleep a night. It was totally worth the trade off tho to hunt animals during the day and then again during the night. I was successful in shooting a honey badger, civet, genet, and porcupines off bait using a thermal night hunting. Hein definitely had his baits down. We went to each bait targeting a specific species hitting the bait. It was really cool seeing a leopard on the trail camera using one of the baits and a hyena using another. The first animal I took on the trip was the beautiful golden wildebeast. From there the other plains game I took hunting during the day was black, saddleback, and white flanked Impala, steenbok, common duiker, and klipspringer. We discussed what I was looking for in my impalas before hunting them. Being shoulder mounted I didn't care so much how dark the saddlebacks back was and I wanted a white flank with more of a white face. I found the horns on the white flank to be really crystal like clear and thought that was cool.I really fell in love with hunting the tiny ten. The klipspringer hunt in the mountains was really special with mountain and river views. The game was plentiful, the lodging was great, the food was great but I will say I ate more out of lunch boxes then anything. Ronald was great at having them prepared for us each day. The duo from North Carolina got all their animals and we're very happy with their guide Emil. I enjoyed my time with Hein learning a lot about the animals. He never rushed me or put pressure on me. I made a promise to him I would come back and hunt spotted hyena with him and know thinking I would like to finish my tiny ten with him since we started it together. His equipment for night hunting it is top notch. I have nothing but positive things to say about Ronald and Hein. If my memory is correct this is the order I harvested animals.
Day 1 Golden wildebeest and steenbok
Day 2 Common duiker and Civet
Day 3 Black Impala
Day 4 White flanked and saddleback Impala and honey badger
Day 5 Genet
Day 6 Porcupines
Day 7 Klipspringer
Day 8 I missed a baboon
Day 9 I hunted waterbuck with Ronald no shooter seen but saw a jackel and brown hyena in the daylight so that was awesome. Hein had a buffalo hunt with another client arranged before knowing about my hunt.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1723549813607.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to write up you adventure. The night hunts and Tiny 10 as just special hunts. Also welcome to AH.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your review. I have noticed they donate lots of hunts. How big was the property, any others there besides your group. Any signed of put and take operation?

Thanks for your review. I have noticed they donate lots of hunts. How big was the property, any others there besides your group. Any signed of put and take operation?
I hunted on different properties everyday. I know at that time they didn't hunt on the lodge property much so everyone was driving out. There was some other clients mixed in on my trip but I didn't see them much being gone all day. When we werent hunting during the day we were checking baits. Lots of them. I'm not sure in the put and take either. I know my tiny ten animals and night animals weren't. The golden wildebeast was on a large property with massive amounts of wildebeest. Obviously the color phase Impalas are a little different. But that normally comes with those color phases. Especially the white flanked and saddle back. The black was on a big property. I think the property we hunted waterbuck on the last day was 50000 acres. That's where the father and son that came with me hunted alot. I'm sure if you email Ronald he would answer any questions you have. He's very straight forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlaudiaI94

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe