SOUTH AFRICA: TERMINATOR 10 Day Group Hunt with KMG Hunting Safaris in East Cape RSA July 25-August 5

Day 4 Lincoln and Ben Day 4 Morning

Day 4 saw Lincoln looking for a Nyala at a ranch that holds a very good population of them and is known to have very nice bulls. They spent the morning looking for and looking over several bull Nyala, but none that got Marius excited enough to get Lincoln on the shooting sticks. They broke for lunch, then went back at it for the afternoon. Once again, they found several Nyala but now shooters. So even though they had glassed over 20 Nyala bulls, Lincoln failed to hit the scoreboard on Day 4 as Marius was holding out for a real good one. That's how it goes when you have high standards...and the team at KMG definitely has HIGH STANDARDS. Many more days to hunt so Lincoln was in good spirits given he already had nice Impala, Blesbok and his dream Kudu in the salt.

Meanwhile Ben. who already had a Warthog, Blesbok and Bushbuck in the salt , was taking his turn looking for a Zebra. They were also keeping an eye out for a good Impala as both of those were on his "hit list".

They spent the morning looking for Zebra. They found some, but the zebra were in a position that did not lend itself to stalk at that time. They were in such a position that there was no way to get in on them without the wind being bad, so they mentally made a note to check on them again later.

A second group was spotted with a nice stallion in it and they put a stalk on them. Somewhere in route, the zebra must have spotted the movement and while not totally spooked, they were alert/nervous and kept moving off whenever Ben and Lloyd tried to close in. Centuries of being preyed upon by Lions and Leopards have made zebra evolve to have keen eye sight and be super wary in the thick cover of the Eastern Cape. Once again, anybody that thinks zebra are "easy" probably have not hunted them in the thick cover and hills of the Eastern Cape. Maybe in flat, more open terrain they are...but our experience was typical. You work for your zebra more often than not.

So "Group 2" of Zebra was also added to the "check on them later" list.

As the team was driving back to the lodge for lunch, the tracker spotted some Impala about 500 yards off the road, feeding on a hillside and pounded on the bakkie's roof. Lloyd stopped and glassed for a minute. They got out of the vehicle and glassed the herd while Lloyd broke out his spotting scope to really look over the best male. Lloyd decided he was a shooter and they plotted out a stalk to get the wind in their favor and to close the distance.

After a slow, careful 30 minute stalk, they were 220 yards out and Ben settled into the shooting sticks. His 338 Win Mag was zeroed at 200 yards, so he held just a hair high and squeezed the trigger....

Booom....the 200 grain Hornady SST bullet pounded the Impala on the shoulder and dropped him in is tracks...DRT as they say.

So the morning of Ben's day 4 ended with his fourth animal in the Salt

#PoundThatImpala
#KMGHuntingSafaries

Ben and Jessica with Ben's Heavy Old Impala.
Jessica was a real trooper and went on almost every stalk with Ben. She has no desire to hunt herself but loved the experience of stalking the animals from front to back. She is definitely a "keeper"
1723855802876.png

Another angle on Ben's Impala
1723855887720.png

Last edited:
Boom You go Dad!! Nothing better than hunting with your sons and building memories!! That kudu by itself is worth the trip alone!!
Yes....yes it was.

Was awesome to watch my son put that guy in the salt.

Derek was blown away with his first safari already at that point. And it was only 1/3 done :)

Such a great report, thanks for sharing the great time and memories y'all made.
Glad you are enjoying it.
Was tremendous father/son time
Stay tuned....lots more hunting to report on :)

Jealousy is preventing me from writing a rational evaluation of your hunt. I can only muster, OMG, what trophies! (And a great and detailed write up to boot)..............FWB

Jealousy is preventing me from writing a rational evaluation of your hunt. I can only muster, OMG, what trophies! (And a great and detailed write up to boot)..............FWB
Thank you Bill.

We had a tremendous hunt for sure. Marius and his team of Nick and Lloyd definitely guided us to some great animals.

Watching my son and two good friends experience Africa for the 1st time was really special to me. It can't be described. By Day 2 they were talking like "when we come back....". Taking a beautiful Black Impala to join my two standard colored Southern Impala was just the icing on the cake. At least to that point anyway. I just love Impala and have to take one every trip.

But for me, my best trophy was still to come. Stay tuned :)

Last edited:
A little tangential maybe, but pertinent still; @TERMINATOR we never know when the wheels are going to fall off. It can happen to the young as well as the old. We also don't know how the World will change. A trip like you have just had is what makes a life a good life. I am now seriously considering your hunt operator for my next Trip. Your trophies are exceptional, but at my age that is less important. Having hunted all 6 continents, what really matters to me is the quality of the trip. Your experience with family and friends made me read this several times. One can learn a lot about AH members from a hunt report. I salute you, and your PH's.......................................FW Bill

A little tangential maybe, but pertinent still; @TERMINATOR we never know when the wheels are going to fall off. It can happen to the young as well as the old. We also don't know how the World will change. A trip like you have just had is what makes a life a good life. I am now seriously considering your hunt operator for my next Trip. Your trophies are exceptional, but at my age that is less important. Having hunted all 6 continents, what really matters to me is the quality of the trip. Your experience with family and friends made me read this several times. One can learn a lot about AH members from a hunt report. I salute you, and your PH's.......................................FW Bill
That means a lot coming from you Bill!

You will never regret time spent hunting with Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris. Not only is he a tremendous hunter but his integrity is beyond question. He burns the candles at both ends making sure all of his hunts go off as perfectly as possible. And his team is a joy to spend time with in the field and at the lodge.

I don't hunt exclusively with KMG because sometimes I just like different experiences. But I never stop thinking about my next visit to the East Cape for a reunion with the people that I truly consider friends at this point.

As far as this trip...yes...we never know which trip will be our last for whatever reason. I think I have a few more in me (I have two safaris booked for 2026 right now). But if this one did turn out to be my last...it was a trip that was truly special doing it with my son and good friends. I could die with a smile on my face and happiness in my soul after this trip.

And there are some great animals to come yet in my report :)

Yea, pretty much everybody that saw that Kudu was like "Yea, that's the Holy Grail right there..."

He can always get a Fallow Deer on a future trip. That is what he had to cut out of the budget plus add some unbudgeted money. It definitely was the right call. :)
Sure it is life time trophy also official just second in size for KMG !!!

Ben Day 4 Afternoon

So after taking the Impala late morning, Ben and Lloyd took lunch, then set up for the afternoon to find a Zebra for Ben.

Happily the afternoon had the hunting gods smiling on them. Within an hour they spotted a group of zebra feeding on a hillside 600 yards away.

Lloyd broke out the spotting scope again and confirmed there was a good stallion in the group. This time, the hillside they were feeding him would allow for them to get up behind the group with the wind in their favor...IF the group stayed in that general area long enough to execute the stalk.

So Lloyd swapped his spotting scope and the group headed off in a circular stalk to get on the back side of that hillside, moving as quickly as they could go while crouching over. The group was practically jogging while hunched over and got to the back side of the hill the zebra were feeding on.
Once behind the hill they could move quickly while upright to give their backs a break. :)

As the PH's often do when on a stalk with animals in side, Lloyd left his tracker back near the truck and had him watch the zebra and provide updates during the stalk. As they neared the point where Lloyd was prepared to peak over the top, hoping to be maybe 100 yards from the zebra, the tracker informed him the zebra were still there but had fed their way further down the hill towards the valley below it. They zebra were still there and undisturbed, but just further away.

When Lloyd, Ben and Jessica peaked over the top of the hill, they could see the zebra below them, but by now they were further out. Lloyd ranged the group at 310 yards.

The hillside below them was pretty open between the group and the zebra and they could set up with Ben prone, shooting over his pack. So they elected to take the shot from there instead of risking trying to get closer. Ben's 338 Win Mag was plenty of gun, but he was shooting with a scope that, while fine optics, did not have a marked elevation turret. He had practiced out to 350 yards and knew what to do, but it meant at 310 yards, with his gun sighted at 200 yards, he would be laying the crosshairs along the zebras back right above his shoulder. Ben got settled in and confirmed he was steady and felt confident about the shot. Lloyd gave him the go ahead and made sure Ben was on the correct zebra.

Ben flipped off the safety, and waited for the target zebra to turn and give him the best possible angle broadside. The stallion was quartering away, and with a 310 yard shot Ben wanted a full broadside. After a couple minutes, the zebra complied and turned broadside. Ben got his breathing right, held his breath and settled the crosshairs along the line of the zebras back.

The .338 roared and the 200 Grain Hornady SST bullet dropped right into the "strike zone" landing solidly just behind the zebra's shoulder. Zebra are tough and the stallion staggered at the hit...but gathered himself and started to run off. Ben racked another shell into the chamber and tried to get back on the stallion, but before he could the stallion crashed to the ground while at a full gallop after running less than 75 yards. The shot to the lungs had done its job with the bullet resting under the hide on the far side of the zebra after shredding both lungs.

High fives were given and Jessica gave Ben a hug. Jessica had wanted a zebra rug for their family room very badly and she was super happy. As was Ben of course.

Like Lincoln and Derek, Ben was primarily a whitetail hunter, mostly hunting from a stand and making shots at point blank range. This was Ben's longest shot ever on a game animal by far, but our pre-hunt practice had paid off with knowing the bullet drop on his rifle at 300 yards. He made a great shot.

So Ben's Day 4 came to an end after the photo session and the team getting the zebra loaded into the hunting bakkie

#StallionDown
#338WinMagSmash
#KMHHuntingSafaris

Meanwhile Derek and I were on a ranch 70 miles away looking for a Gemsbok and my dream plains game animal...a Sable.

To be continued....

1723909466298.png

1723910104531.png

Just now catching up on your report. Fantastic Kudu and congratulations on some magnificent animals so far!
Very much enjoying your detailed report and style of writing

Just now catching up on your report. Fantastic Kudu and congratulations on some magnificent animals so far!
Very much enjoying your detailed report and style of writing
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the compliment on my writing.

I have been published in fishing magazines several times. I get a bit annoyed with the 30 minute time limit to edit here because sometimes I make a typo and don't notice it until after the 30 minutes is up. I am used to having a lot of time to proofread/re-read/edit things and I am kind of a perfectionist. I strive to make the reader feel like they went along on the hunt. That is my goal.
Hopefully that is how people feel most of the time when they read my reports.

We had a great group hunt with Marius and @KMG Hunting Safaris and it was fun to share the hunt with my son and friends.

Derek's Kudu was a beast for the East Cape of RSA. Now he is like "Only 716 days before we go back!!!" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSZAlanna0

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com