SOUTH AFRICA: Settlers Safaris In The Eastern Cape July 2024

You did well, congrats !

After the late night hunting we decided the next morning we would hunt around the lodge for waterbuck. So far the waterbuck had been out smarting us. So after a wonder breakfast we headed out. We started the morning glassing from some high vantage points. Once again we spotted some females. After awhile we spotted a shooter. He was in a area with a nice Ridgeline above him. We made a big circle around him. We left the tracker Lunger to keep an eye out on him while my PH Charl got us on the backside of the bull with a good wind. We got the sticks up at 200 yds. After the shot the bull ran into a thicket. We maneuvered around and was able to get a quick follow up shot on him. He ended up being a thick horned old bull with rubbed down tips. This waterbuck was important because I had left another hunt with another outfit very disappointed with the waterbuck they had me shoot. That's a whole different post that I will be writing soon. We ate lunch and then decided to go after black springbok on the property until 4. After that we had plans to try to intercept a big kudu bull that was spotted the day before eating on a free range planted field. Well the springboks did what springboks do and never gave us a shot. Those things move more then a meth head looking for their next fix. Next we drove about 15 minutes to the ag fields for the kudu hunt. We slowly made a stalk to the field edges using cover to block us. We came around a been and 2 female kudu caught us and bugged off. We moved forward and got set up on a point. The sticks were ready to go. Charl got excited and said a huge bull was walking out way but he could only see his horns. Just then I began to cough. I had been battling a cold the whole trip and the evening air made me cough. This time it was uncontrollable and got louder then I wanted. The bull herd me and ran the other way. I felt horrible about it. But I knew everyone knew I didn't do it on purpose. That bull was on a suicide mission but got saved that day. We stayed until dark but he didn't come back out into the open.

Messenger_creation_5aa6858c-7acf-408c-ac68-8abac23105ed.jpeg

The next day found us driving out from the lodge in pursuit of white springbok and black sprinkbok. We were headed in the same area roughly that we had hunted red lechwe in. Once again the wind was blowing strong. This property was surrounded by windmills. So it's safe to say the wind was normal for this area. So after picking up the local tracker we spotted a nice white springbok. With the wind we wanted to get close as possible. Lucky for use he ran on top a hill and walked away from us with one big bush between us. We used this bush as cover and stalked behind him. Eventually we reached the bush and I made a 150 yd shot in the heavy wind. Next up was the black springbok. The winds really picked up. I made a couple shots at two different black springboks missing both. The wind was ripping. Charl was very patient with me and encouraging. I just couldn't seal the deal. Finally we made a stalk and I got comfortable on the ground and shot at 200 yds. My bullet hit low in the front leg and then the nightmare of finding a 3 legged springbok started. I can tell you they run just as fast on 3 legs as 4. I don't normally shot from the truck but now we had to get this animal down. I missed a shot off the truck. The wind was brutal. One more shot freehand at it running just missed the neck. We searched for 4 more hours until darkness made us stop. We had planned to hunt cape grysbuck that evening but finding the springbok become the priority. Unfortunately we never spotted it again. I hate that it happened like that but it happens in hunting sometimes. The elements and weather just wasn't on my side. I was very happy with the white springbok. It was a beautiful ram with nice horns.

Finally it was my last morning in the eastern cape. My flight was leaving Port Elizabeth at 12:40. The evening before Charl and I agreed we would have breakfast and finalize the bill. While eating breakfast the owner of the lodge Murray Crous walked in and congratulated me on the white springbok and we talked about the black springbok. He looked at Charl and said hey he already paid for a black springbok if you got time to try to kill one on the lodge property. It didn't take him saying it twice and we were off in the truck looking. So far the black springbok hadn't be giving us any luck on the property. We had about and hour and half to seal the deal. About 30 minutes into driving we spotted a group with a shooter. We put on 3 different stalks trying to use cover to get into range. It was windy but not like the day before. Finally with 5 minutes left we get into range and I make the shot. The springbok runs like it's going to drop down over a canyon wall. But right before the edge it goes down. We hurry to get close and put a second shot into it before it drops over and we run out of time. There's one bush maybe 5 ft in front of it. So we use that bush as cover because we don't want it to see us and jump over the edge. We maneuver over and put the sticks up for the follow up shot. Charl is looking with the binos. The springbok is looking right at us with its body going to the right. He says you can see the arm shoulder area out it right there. I felt good and squeezed. Instantly it collapses and Charl says did you aim at the head. I said no the body. He said it dropped like a head shot. We walk up and the horn is shot off. But theres also a huge cut and hole in the neck. Then we turn it and find cuts on the other side of the face too. After studying it we determined the bullet hit one of the small branches of the bush causing it to hit the rocks and explode in front of the head sending pieces all over the front of the black springbok. What a way to end the trip. We hustle with pictures. And load the springbok up, we are know running late. We do a mad dash at the lodge to finish the bill up and get my bags into the truck. Luckily Charl wife is a saint and met us at the freeway to switch vehicles for the ride to the airport. I made it thru security just in time to board my flight to Johannesburg. I would highly recommend Settlers Safaris to anyone. The views and landscapes of the eastern cape are great. The staff at the lodge was wonderful. Murray and Charl are great people. The other hunters in camp were all repeat customers. One had a ant bear permit and was successful in harvesting one. That was neat to see in the salt. I will definitely be back someday to chase a Cape Grysbok and some other creatures im sure.

Great hunting report.
Congrats on getting some awesome animals.

Congrats on a successful hunt. Quite the adventure for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andres19H

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available