SOUTH AFRICA: Pieter Lamprecht's Cruiser Safari's Is Better Than Disney World!

Nickcusato

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, USA
We just wrapped up another trip to Pieter Lamprecht's Cruiser Safari outside Thabazimbi Limpopo. Easy pick-up and nice drive north through some incredible scenery. I first hunted with Pieter in early 2011, and his properties and concessions never disappoint. From being met at the truck upon arrival with beverages at the greeting to ensuring we had all documents and a clear understanding of how to process our firearms for the return US flight at the airport drop-off, attention to every detail was evident. Pieter is a hands-on host available daily to discuss your hunting options and ensure you are having the time of your life.

This was the first trip to Africa that I could bring everyone. My ten-year-old, my 14-year-old sons, and my wife. She had been reluctant to agree for me bringing my boys in the past. I am so glad I took them to Pieter Lamprecht's for the first Africa experience. My sons both took respectable gemsboks and a nice impala each. My oldest also took a nice old blesbok & a great blue wildebeest. The PH's were understanding and directed both of my sons throughout the hunts. Most were spot & stalk, which kept the kids excited & engaged like nothing else. The PH's had my sons making great shots upward of 170 yards at times. Pieter and his staff, from the PH's to the chef, went out of their way to ensure my boys and wife had a great time. I was impressed by the care and how they catered to my little hunters.

I was able to take a spectacular old cape buffalo bull and had the excitement of tracking it, waiting for it to come out of the brush, and putting him in the salt. Most exciting trip to date as my sons were there to see it all and enjoy the adrenaline this old bull provided to us. Pieter's properties are full of outstanding examples of hard boss, old cape buffalo. Real dugga boys and a vast amount of them. Pieter has the world record sable in his herds at over 58 inches. It is a sight to behold. His sable herd is the best I've seen in all of Africa over the decade-plus of visiting. The fact that he owns most of the properties we hunted on means that he always makes sure the quality and quantities of the self-sustaining herds are managed optimally.

We were served some of the best game meals we'd ever eaten every night. From eland steaks to buffalo chicken fried steak, there was no meal we didn't thoroughly enjoy. Desserts served nightly were a hit with everyone. My wife passes typically on all the elk, deer, and other game I bring home in my 30-plus years of this but here she ate everything and raved about it. The food is prepared in a manner that is better than most resorts. After nightly coffee and drinks, we are off to bed. In our rooms, we found our laundry that was done daily. Every night, we had a hot water bottle that my wife just loved in our beds. Kept her feet warm and was a nice touch. My son's room was cleaned daily, and their clothes were folded and put away. A luxury they do not enjoy at home as they have to do it.

A riverside braai (barbeque) was a wonderful surprise on our seventh night. Pieter asked if we'd like to take a drive around the concession closest to the lodge, which we did a few times. So we hopped in, expecting to see some of his colossal sable bulls. We arrived at a torch-lit waterfront barbeque! It was outstanding. As we sat around the huge table talking, I could not help but realize I was in the middle of what will be one of my family's fondest memories. We made countless phenomenal memories, but I did not stop to think about it until we sat at this beautiful riverside table so carefully prepared for us. The PH's joined us as well as the Lamprecht family, and a great time was had by all. They have a great intuition and to adapt to the hunters' needs and wants. When there is families, the Lamprecht family will join. My last few trips were just us guys, a guys-only hunt, and the family didn't join us, but with my wife there this time, it made her feel much more comfortable & not be the only lady at the table.

My wife does not hunt, but thankfully the number of animals and quality of these concessions kept her taking more photos than I could have imagined. The side trip to Marakele National Park was an excellent opportunity to see elephants, rhino, and other plains game. We saw and recorded a spotted hyena running down the road on the way to the park. I have never seen one in Africa… ever. Once inside the park, the views are some of the best I've seen and rival Moab, UT, or Monument Valley scenery. As we climbed the mountain, our PH pointed out an elephant and stopped for photos. Needless to say, my wife was thrilled to see an elephant on the mountain eating and roaming free.

From the food to the exciting buffalo hunt to the plains game and confidence-building shots my sons made to the warm, welcoming environment, it could not have been better. The memories we made here at Cruiser Safaris are incredible. My family has so much to be thankful for, and this trip just put a string of magnificent experiences together in one trip. A Big Texas-sized 'Thank You' to Pieter, Lizelle, Delmar, Monroe, Rudolph, Samuel, Chico, and all the other staff and support personnel made this Safari the best one to date. My ten-year-old summed it up perfectly, "This is better than Disney World!".

IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
3NYBh6njQrihGvdvdxeNww.jpg
mD+SQrvmROGfHiclgaM+KA.jpg
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
cd301aa4-429e-4b78-89b3-a4594bff248f.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a fabulous Safari. I was happy to see you got the boys out there as I was also able to do that a few years ago and its still my kids favorite vacation!

HH

Congratulations to all, nice to see Cruiser is still going strong. Well done and thanks for posting.

I hunted with Cruiser in 2014. My first Safari. It was a great experience. I went back to RSA in 2021 for a bow hunt but chose Limcroma because they were better set up for it. Glad to hear Cruiser and Peter are still going strong.

Congratulations to you, your sons and wife on some great trophies, wonderful photos and memories to last a lifetime.

Congratulations! Families are the best hunts. Everyone gets the experience.

Great report, and really cool seeing the kid's success. I'm sitting here reading with my 10-year old son as we get ready to depart for a family safari in just over two weeks. The pics of your kids is getting him even more fired up!

Marakelle is running TWICE the sustained population it can sustain for elephants and they are severely damaging the park. Apparently there are plans under way to lower some of the perimeter fences with cooperating landowners under a coop plan. The private landowners will be able to get permits for a few of the Big 5 in exchange similar to Kruger.

Congrats on the hunt.

Looks and sounds like a wonderful experience for your family! Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Always a great safari with family ! looked like a great time.

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alloroprivatedining

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with