SOUTH AFRICA: Old Guy, A Heart Attack, & Dreams Of A Cape Buffalo Hunt

You have inspired another old guy who had a heart valve replaced and has an ICD that just maybe I might be able to hunt Africa. Thank you. Congratulations on your bull.

Well done and congratulations! Thank you for sharing your adventure, I enjoyed it very much.

Well done!!!

Well done sir. A true inspiration to all that want a goal bad enough. Dedication and perseverance will solve alot of problems. You now have a wonderful experience that will be yours from here on out. Congrats and looking forward to reading about that rest of your safari.

I’m glad you got your buffalo and you were happy with result. It’s a great old bull. It was written in other report as well, but I still feel that is completely unacceptable to advertise and book a certain unique area then change planned hunting area without informing the client before the hunt.

Thanks everyone for the warm words. It means a lot!

Wonderfully told hunt. GREAT old bull. Get out of the house and keep writing about more hunts. I am 77 and want one more good hunt. God bless.

The property owner called for some heavy equipment with a front loader to help with staging the hero pics, field dressing, and loading the buffalo into Stefan’s bakkie. While waiting for this, the bakkie arrives with a very welcome ice chest of local beverages.

And almost too soon, we were on the way to the skinning shed.

We again had the lodge to ourselves, although that would change the next afternoon.

Not knowing what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised at the comradeship that quickly developed at "camp". AJ and TJ were the other two PHs along with "T the Camera Guy", one European hunter, plus a very experienced and well traveled husband wife team from the US. All great folks to share a beer or three with.

Around evening #3 with this bunch and AJ refers to me as “Uncle Joe”. It stuck and seemed to fit. I edited out the other hunter from the below pic because I don’t know if he would want it shared. Uncle Joe is the dude on the right. Stefan is to the left and AJ is center.

Uncle Joe.jpg

Congrats on your buffalo! Getting old is a bitch, but the alternative is less appealing at this point. I'm enjoying your write up a great deal. Good job on making it back to africa.
Bruce

A few Plains Game:

A really good warthog was the one other animal that I really wanted and planned for. They were on quota. I finally got one but it took a number of days and was actually the last animal I took. 100 yards off the sticks with a 300 grain A-Frame behind the shoulder. We just stumbled on him as we were walking back to the vehicle.

20230619_112841.jpg

AJ asked if I had a Klipspringer, which having never hunted any of the Tiny 10, I did not. None were available on the reserve, but a good opportunity was said to be available nearby. Plans were made and I had solids. A short stalk on foot after spotting. Some poor shooting, (first shot way too far back), and I had my first Tiny 10.

Klipspringer.jpeg

Also on quota was a pure target of opportunity – a heavy horned Impala that was running in a bachelor herd. Watching about 15 rams ease through the brush, Stefan asks: Do you want an Impala?
Are there any good ones? There is one great one. And off we go on another stalk.

Impala.jpeg

Congratulations!

I hope other that think they can't go read this and realize with some grit and determination they can make it happen! Good on you for not giving up!

I have read several people's stories on here that are people in their 70s+. I hope I'm in good enough shape then to do the same thing. Be proud of your accomplishments! Thanks for a great report!

Congratulations on your buffalo and other hard earned trophies. What other hunts do you now have planned?

Very well done sir!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!!

Waidmannsheil @shootist ! An amazing feat for yourself and some great memories to take home. Lovely buff and I really like that heavy impala ! Well done and thanks for sharing !

"Uncle Joe", Congratulations on your great buffalo adventure! YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks for taking the time to compose and post your story. I have a few years on you but it's a definitely an inspiration to keep up one's pastimes. We never know when the grim reaper is going to swing that scythe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwbybill

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.