SOUTH AFRICA: Notes On A First Safari

Sorry to hear. This is a bummer to read.

Don’t let this experience sour Africa for you.

Ask around on here, talk to site sponsors, you’ll find that Africa is/should be quite the opposite.
We’ve had some time to chew on it, and when family and friends ask we don’t have to lie to tell them how much fun we had.
But if there’s any group of people who can stand to hear the bad and the ugly along with the good, it’s y’all!

I’ve read and reread this report and took notes. I’m sorry for your experience, but at least you saw everything that can make a bad South African ranch hunt (even if you don’t fully realize it yet). This is what I noted reading your report.
1. I think you understood idea of auction hunt, but ask for as many references as you can. Reviews posted online are generally going to be positive/glowing, even you didn’t post a negative review here. I ask for multiple years of references and compare their answers. A wide range of answers that don’t align is a potential red flag. Always ask how many safaris/countries/outfitters references have hunted with to better understand their answers. A one safari client has a limited understanding.
2. Reading your report. It’s really the definition of a “whack and stack” outfitter. Multiple groups in camp and replacing you when you leave. Multiple PHs of varying quality and experience. Sounds like properties are really over hunted from lack of male animals. I’ve never heard of difficulty getting an impala ram. If you are happy with your nyala that is all that matters, but it’s not an exceptional trophy by any means. The blue wildebeest doesn’t appear old either. It’s my guess this outfitters regularly stocks more trophies as stocks deplete. Ask your outfitter questions next time about experience in the properties they hunt, how long they’ve hunted them, how quotas are set. Ask how many PHs they employ and how long been with company. How many hunters each season. It will tell you a lot about an operation. Not being completely forthcoming says a lot too.
3. Becoming a PH or outfitter in South Africa is very easy compared to other African countries. Not all are passionate hunters, many are just doing it as a business, some are burnt out. I won’t book another hunt without knowing who my PH will be. Ask questions about who your PH will be. Talk to him before hunt/booking. Changing PHs mid hunt isn’t acceptable to me as a standard practice. Nearly any outfitter can find areas to hunt and PHs to hunt for him. Really need to try and find an outfitter/PH you will enjoy hunting with because 90% of operations are generally the same except for the people. If an outfitter only hunts with one group in camp at a time or only one or two long term PHs it can really make them stand out. Running multiple groups in camp at same time makes it sound like money is priority not the hunting experience.
4. Paying for a wounded animal is standard. Outfitters behavior however sounds unprofessional. Unfortunately even though you were hunting together you are still separate clients from other hunter who was unsuccessful. Once again though, sounds like an outfitter that isn’t in it for the hunting experience just the money. It’s my guess his business model is getting first time clients that really don’t know better and making money on volume of clients.

I really hope you have a better experience with a different outfitter next time. I think you saw almost as bad as can be, can only get better the more you know.

I’ve read and reread this report and took notes. I’m sorry for your experience, but at least you saw everything that can make a bad South African ranch hunt (even if you don’t fully realize it yet). This is what I noted reading your report.
1. I think you understood idea of auction hunt, but ask for as many references as you can. Reviews posted online are generally going to be positive/glowing, even you didn’t post a negative review here. I ask for multiple years of references and compare their answers. A wide range of answers that don’t align is a potential red flag. Always ask how many safaris/countries/outfitters references have hunted with to better understand their answers. A one safari client has a limited understanding.
2. Reading your report. It’s really the definition of a “whack and stack” outfitter. Multiple groups in camp and replacing you when you leave. Multiple PHs of varying quality and experience. Sounds like properties are really over hunted from lack of male animals. I’ve never heard of difficulty getting an impala ram. If you are happy with your nyala that is all that matters, but it’s not an exceptional trophy by any means. The blue wildebeest doesn’t appear old either. It’s my guess this outfitters regularly stocks more trophies as stocks deplete. Ask your outfitter questions next time about experience in the properties they hunt, how long they’ve hunted them, how quotas are set. Ask how many PHs they employ and how long been with company. How many hunters each season. It will tell you a lot about an operation. Not being completely forthcoming says a lot too.
3. Becoming a PH or outfitter in South Africa is very easy compared to other African countries. Not all are passionate hunters, many are just doing it as a business, some are burnt out. I won’t book another hunt without knowing who my PH will be. Ask questions about who your PH will be. Talk to him before hunt/booking. Changing PHs mid hunt isn’t acceptable to me as a standard practice. Nearly any outfitter can find areas to hunt and PHs to hunt for him. Really need to try and find an outfitter/PH you will enjoy hunting with because 90% of operations are generally the same except for the people. If an outfitter only hunts with one group in camp at a time or only one or two long term PHs it can really make them stand out. Running multiple groups in camp at same time makes it sound like money is priority not the hunting experience.
4. Paying for a wounded animal is standard. Outfitters behavior however sounds unprofessional. Unfortunately even though you were hunting together you are still separate clients from other hunter who was unsuccessful. Once again though, sounds like an outfitter that isn’t in it for the hunting experience just the money. It’s my guess his business model is getting first time clients that really don’t know better and making money on volume of clients.

I really hope you have a better experience with a different outfitter next time. I think you saw almost as bad as can be, can only get better the more you know.
Thanks for giving a really thought out response. You raised some questions to ask that still hadn’t crossed my mind.
I’ll be much more prepared before next time thanks to help like yours!

I believe that @375Fox said that that outfitters main business model is $$$ and rotate as many people through camp as possible. It was never about a very positive experience. There are a large number of red flags that come up. So very sorry that you had a very bad first experience in Africa. Of the folks that I have met that had experiences similar to yours they ALL bought a auction hunt that wasn't at DSC, SCI or one of the other big shows. If at some point you have time fro a call PM me your number and a good time and I will walk you through the process my wife and I take to select an outfitter.

Thanks for your report.
There are plenty of lessons to be learned by anyone reading it.

You have put plenty of thought into your report.
You sure do like accepting responsibility, I wish the Outfitter did. Accepting your date selection is up to him and all the intendant stress and crap that goes with it. "Packing you in".... How are you to know that the camp is packed?

We are all hostage to the support or lack thereof being provided by the Outfitter in a foreign land. Trust in the required professionalism is the foundation of the business. Taking advantage of someone is not acceptable.

Yelling at and Abusing a client! Holy hell. In what universe is that acceptable.

I'm glad you managed to make something of your trip. I just wish it had worked out better.

There are a lot of us wishing we knew who the outfitter was. I never want to book with him! It's tough to be on a decently managed property in RSA and not even see a male impala for days, at least near Joberg. Only one rifle for 2 clients? Absolutely a nightmare. New hunter encouraged to shoot a animal facing him........
You folks had a VERY rough go of it. I hope you'll go again. Africa can be so much more. You did a lot of very cool prep work. You've learned a hard lesson. Next go with a quality company and you'll see a huge difference.
Bruce

Wow, that sounds like a shitty experience, I'm sorry you guys didn't have a better time. I just got home from my first safari and I'm planning the next one already. I went with Moretla safaris, partially because they only book one party no matter the size so I was the only guy in camp the whole twelve days. Hopefully next time is much better!!

Thank you for sharing this report.
There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this.

@gadwallop , first let me congratulate you on your very well written report, I really enjoyed it !

I have been on a few safaris myself, some experiences better than others, but yours was really bad, and as you say, we have no bargaining power in the middle of the bush.

So, I never hunt with anybody which has not been recommended by someone I know and trust.

Wish you the best next time, there are some very good professionals in Africa.

However, something as simple as, “You guys have a question? Sorry, it’s a well-established rule, I’m sorry you didn’t know, but if it’s wounded, I have to take it off my books,” would have sufficed. To scream at paying clients, in front of your other clients? Unconscionable.

And we were men without options. Fully reliant on him for our safety and future, four hours from greater civilization in Johannesburg, we had no bargaining power. We were strangers in a strange land. Despite being paying customers, we were guests, one more word away from wearing out our welcome.

I choose not to give this company a positive review. File this as one of the two- or three-star reviews that gets largely. I had memories to last a lifetime. I saw things I never dreamed I would. I spent time with my wife staring at the Southern Cross and walking in fresh leopard tracks. I shot a zebra and shared it with my loved ones. I would recommend "Jack" our PH to anyone, without hesitation, and I made friends from close to home all the way around the world.

Ultimately, this safari was not about the outfitter. It wasn’t about the PHs, nor the animals, nor even me. It was about the experience, and, boy, did we get one. You can try all you like to curate a trip to be exactly what you want it to be, but there will always be some unknowns. I hope hearing honesty about a hunting trip that wasn’t all a dream can help someone manage their expectations, or even find comfort in knowing they aren’t alone in thinking it wasn’t all that great. The highs come with the lows, life’s just like that, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Would I do this again? Yes. But I’d try to learn from some of my lessons and mistakes herein. Would I do an African hunt over, say, Alaska or New Zealand, or somewhere else exotic? Who’s to say. There’s a lot of world still left to see. But for now, I’ve had enough fun to tide me over for several years while my wallet recuperates.

At least until duck season.
Great, HONEST, report! Although I cringed along the way I truly appreciated your willingness to candidly share your experience. There are some great replies here to your report, as a newbie going on my first SA trip next year I am soaking up all I can (the bad perhaps more so than the good). Your attitude is inspiring, I'm not sure I would have had the same composure (assuredly, much to my own detriment as a "stranger in a strange land" as you most accurately phrased it)! I agree with some of the other responses, it would be of great benefit and a cautionary courtesy if you would share the name of this operation even if by PM only. I feel confident that I am not booked with this company next year but it could prevent a quasi (or complete) disaster for someone if you could point them in a different direction, I do however respect your decision to remain the bigger person in this debacle and to do so without further embarrassing this company. In the end, you capture what its all about anyway, the experience!

Wow, that sounds like a shitty experience, I'm sorry you guys didn't have a better time. I just got home from my first safari and I'm planning the next one already. I went with Moretla safaris, partially because they only book one party no matter the size so I was the only guy in camp the whole twelve days. Hopefully next time is much better!!
Hey, I would like to know more about Moretla safaris. Would you mind sending me a PM when you get a chance for some questions I have? Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profnjuki

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?