Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
I have been very busy at work and feeling very blessed with this amount of work that I have not yet compiled any reports this year on my two hunting trips thus far and decided to rather do one report over my hunting season of 2024.

So here goes Hunt no.1 for this year would be from May 9 to 12, 2024 with some good friends on a fabulous largish property in North West Limpopo about 60km as the crow flies from the Bostwana border.

Boston-2024-9.jpg

Early morning of 9 May 2024 and I pick up my good friend Riaan load up and head out north to Limpopo about 3 1/2 hour drive excluding pit stop or two.

Boston-2024-10.jpg

Quick Breakfast stop just north outside Nylstroom/Modimole and all 3 vehicles heading north in convoy from there.

My plan was to harvest impala and if chance came up waterbuck or kudu cow a gemsbuck was also not out of the pictue if it would present itself. Took two rifles along my new 7x57 CZ 550 Loaded with 160gr Safari Bullet Company solid shank bonded bullets 160gr travelling at 2600fps. The other my 6.5x55 Carl Gustav loaded with 160gr Hornady interlock travelling at 2400fps which Riaan my friend would use on the hunt.

Now this would be a my third visit on the property of 7000 acres but my first proper hunt on it from the visit in December just before Christmas and taking our two dogs for walks I came upon a lot of game especially impala and knew that would be easy targets. But it seems in the last 5 months since December some evil reigned over the property that we did not know. The property does not have permanent resident expect for the staff that keep the camp lodge and check water holes and fencing but not anti poaching or very active visual presence and so it was for the last 4 years with no issues.
All the neoghbouring frams would also not have any permanent residents as two of them were sold off recently.

Anyway before I get ahead of myself we arrived Thursday late morning unpacked had a bit to eat checked rifles on the range and off we went for the afternoon session. We were the first hunters of the season and game should have been very calm and relaxed like I have seen in December.

Boston-2024-2.jpg

Just before we head out the afternoon I kindly asked if we should start the coldroom so long as the impalas would be coming in of course and then we found that the gas somehow escaped and the coldroom is not functional. The owner letting us know they will make a plan and have it sorted. We have been experiencing very hot weather for this time of the year with temperature on the Saturday hitting 35C midday. So the coldroom was essential of course for the meat we would harvest.

So me and RIaan get dropped of first and we slowly make our way stalking very slowly with the wind in our favour. It was not 5 minutes and I spot a group of kudu cows and the stalk is on, slowly we move closer the cows are unaware of us and I see some impala also following them. I mark the largest cow and setup the shooting sticks they linger in the shade of a tree with quite a bit of bush covering vitals. Range around 120 meters and very little cover left for us to get closer.

I take the safety off and settle on the largest cow but there is another behind her I have seen the 160gr 7mm bullet penetrate really well and do not shoot as I knew there would be a good chance on a pass through. The longer I stand there as I wait for my shot the more my brain goes overboard the coldroom is busted what will happen to the carcass in this heat and its 3pm. Bugger this I'm sure we will get another opportunity I call off the shot and switch target to an impala ewe that was behind the cows. At least it would be a smaller issue to cool down the impala carcass than the kudu cow.

The kudu cows gently move away and we move closer to the impalas who are grazing and moving all the time. Suddenly the wind shifts and we are busted with the impalas leaving for safety.

Wow, what a nice stalk and that within 5 minutes of getting dropped of me and Riaan think. We head in the direction where the impalas fled and I tell riaan why I dind't take the shot on the kudu with the uncertainty of the coldroom being fixed. He fully agrees and on we go.

The other guys Deon was after Gembuck or impala and Adriaan after impala mostly walking together Arend our other friend was behind the mountain looking for a wildebeest bull. Deon was hunting with his 404 Jeff and aimpoint sight, Adriaan with his 375 H&H CZ 550 and Arend with his 416 Rigby CZ550.

Me and Riaan spotted and got busted on a bunch of stalks on more impala but somehting was not right the impalas were on very high alert yes there is a few brown hyenas around and leopard but the impalas didnt need to confirm you if they smelled, heard or see you they were off in a flash. This was a complete change on the walks I did with my dogs in December and from previous seasons impalas were the easiest game due to their numbers to hunt.

Boston-2024-18.jpg

Brown Hyena tracks was covering most of the roads on the farm.

So a difficult afternoon went by as we slowly head to back to camp only to be called in by radio to help on a might be wounded impala ram that Deon shot at.
Heading off in their direction after being picked up we followed the tracks of the would be monster impala ram but we could find any blood and had to halt the search due to light.

Boston-2024-17.jpg

[/CENTER]
Around the nice campfire we discussed everyones afternoon and Deon was sure that although the shot was longish on the ram over 100 meters he was secure and confident so he decided to head back to the area the next morning and keep looking as the gemsbuck was also in that area.

Arend, didn't see much except for a monster of a klipspringer but they were not on the list to be hunted.

Boston-2024-13.jpg

A good evening around the fire with all the words troubles being solved as usual by men who love to hunt.

The next morning I would be on my own in the area where I spotted the kudu cows and the impalas while Riaan and Adriaan would be going after gemsbuck and impala on another area and Deon after his monster impala that we could not find any trace of blood but also gemsbuck. Arend decided to stay in and rest he had couple of hard weeks at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great beginning to an adventure, can’t wait on reading the rest!

May 10, day of the dreaded chicken!!!!!!

Boston-2024-14.jpg

7x57 CZ550 topped with a Zerotech 4-15 x 50 scope, 160gr Safari bullet company bullet at 2600fps

So Friday morning I'm off on my own without Riaan these pesky impalas will not beat me I tell myself and I get dropped off very close where I got dropped off the previous afternoon. The wind is swirly but I can work with it. It is extra quiet like the impalas where knowing I wanted.

Got a few glimpses of mostly males and beacise of the warm wether the impala rut was not yet in full swing heraing a roar or two but not much of it. It was like the teenagers were checking and testing their new throat calls.

The impalas were just too switched on as soon as I spot one I spot it fleeing for its life. At one stage close to one mountain I heard kudu cows going mad barking at something for over 15 minutes I assumed it was a hyena or a leopard. I had a good luck at an almost good kudu bull pushing 49-50" but with at least another year or two to grow and some nyala ewes. Even stumbled on a good troop of baboons that was unaware of me good have shot one easily if I wnated too but did not wnat to spook the rest of the area.

What was going on, why would the impalas be so cagey? Surely if it was leopard or brown hyena all the other game would have been super spooky as well.

Boston-2024-12.jpg

Mountain where the kudus were going crazy just barking all the time.

It really started to heat up and expcept for a crack at a young balck impala ram and some nyala if I wanted to I went back to the lodge grabbed a beer and poundered waiting for the other guys hoping they would have more success.

Anyway awaiting the others and they took their time and for a good reason Deon found his wounded impala the 404 Jeff broke one of the impala legs reason for no blood and 6" higher it would have been a heart shot. Cracker of a ram and he had to finish it off while running away flaring tips and even made the Roland Ward record book.

Boston-2024-5.jpg

Old Warrior smooth horns and tips worn down sure he made good and spread his genes.

Adriaan also good lucky on a good impala ram.

Boston-2024-7.jpg

After a good brunch I didnt feel like sleeping as it was too hot and me and Riaan also not finding luck enjoyed the unheated pool. First time in my life that I was swimming in a pool on May 10th which is suppose to be winter.

Boston-2024.jpg

Sun was cooking my dear friends!!!!

Afternoon me and Riaan teamed up again to the other oarea where gemsbuck were roaming we just stopped my bakkie got out and there stood a yong zebra stallion on the road Riaan declined the shot as he looked young and off they went two of them.

Gemsbuck tracks were all over and we bumped into some eland later I managed to fire a very fast shot at an impala ram half an hour before dark. I had to fire through a gap in scikle bush. The impala ram was frontal looking at us and would flee any second so had to make a hasty shot I looked at what was my best gap between the hard branches of the sickle bush and fired. At the shot there was a lot of dust hanging in the air were the impala stood like if someone would fire into the ground.

Normally on a frontal shot like that, at about 80 meters the impala would have dropped right there but he bounded off to our left and vanished without a trace of being hit. We waited a minute before going to the spot where the impala stood. Tried to follow his track as best as possile but with a lot of impala tracks aropind it was not so easy then we started combing the area and me on the tracks.

40 minutes later we called off the search the dust and the way the impala just bolted off I must have hit a branch and the bullet must have diverted. I was not a happy camper to blow my only chance after two days on finding an impala.

Back at camp we BBQ'd some chicken me and Adriaan shared one chicken (Evil chicken it was)
Slept not so well that night and woke up with a funny tummy.

Almost forgot at about 10pm we heard an duiker/rabbit being caught by a leopard or brown hyena right in camp not even 100 meters from us in the mountain behind us.

May 11,

I wake up not feeling too great runny tummy and me and Riaan head out we go to the same area where we saw the zebra and gemsbuck tracks as well as close to the area where I missed my impala ram. We got of extra early to reach the area when there was enough light to shoot.

Boston-2024-15.jpg

Extremely fresh Hyena tracks again.

Forgot to mention on previous evening on the way back to camp we spotted a brown hyena down the road in the headlights. Track above was considerable ways away from where we saw the hyena but they do tend to move quite a bit in a session.

It was definitely cooler and that is good as Friday was seriously warm for winter. I didn't grab a coffee or anything that monring just feeling too uneasy with my insides and we walked slowly. We came around a bend and saw the ara where I missed the impala in the road stood a good looking ram. I quickly arrange the shooting sticks for Riaan and we wait untill he is perfectly broadside. The sun is behind us the wind in our favour pefect setup.

Riaan takes his time and fires the impala explodes in a jump and head into the thick sickle bush range was just under 100 meters and the other impala flee in a different direction.

Marking the spot where he stood we wait a minute or so and we are both extremly happy at least we connected. The shot looked good through my binos the 160gr bullet doing its thing.

We walk up to the spot and find blood and not so good watery blood and some pieces of meat we follow the tracks for a bit and the blood suddenly stops completely. There again is so many impala tracks around we start going round in circles and widening the circles. Surely this impala looked hit properly but it happened so fast you cannot always be sure of the exact impact on the animal.

We call in for back up and hear two quick shots in the distance just as we finished and asked for help from a tracker. That must have been Deon with his 404 Jeff . 10 minutes later we get a call back its going to take a bit longer to reach us as they need to get a traier to load Deon's gemsbuck we are elated its Deon's first gemsbuck and his first Roland Ward impala he is having a great hunt.

Boston-2024-6.jpg

Deon's Gemsbuck with the 404 Jeff and aimpoint sight. He is also using safari Bullet Company bullets.

We keep searching while we wait and half an hour later the tracker joins us. We show him the blood and where we lost the tracks he keeps circling back making sure he is on the right tracks and one hour later we found him stiffened up but a very nice large impala ram.

Shot was a bit too far back and exited on the stomach and that caused the exit to be blocked and lack of blood. As the crows fly he only managed 400 meters but was in a complete different line that what we thought.

Boston-2024-19.jpg

By the time we found him he was to stiff to pose for a proper photo. You can see the thick sickle bush in the background this was an old field where crops were planted.

Boston-2024-4.jpg

Adriaan, also bagged another great Impala

Loaded up and heading back to the lodge I started feeling uneasy didnt feel like eating anything and went down to lay down on the bed. What happened there after was a competion on who could make the worst noise when throwing up between me and Adriaan. That bloody Evil Chicken had it perfectly chronographed then Adriaan would vommit then minutes later it was my turn, man that was sick and we felt it. Nothing stayed inside even taking water would just start it up again I knew there an then my hunt was completely finished and so was Adriaan's.

That evening we worked out that the only me and Adriaan had to eat or drink at the same time as that one evil chicken. I felt horrible and couldn't remember when last I was so sick. Lucklily Deon had some charcoal pills which helped.

Arend, went out again in our abscence to see if he could find anything and stumled upon this very close to the mountain where the kudus were barking so mad.

Boston-2024-3.jpg

Boston-2024-1.jpg

Boston-2024-20.jpg

This Kudu bull was poached the poachers thought it was dead started cutting off the hind leg when the kudu must have stood up and somehow overpowered the poacher or poachers. It then stumbled down the mountain to finally end up here dying with lack of blood. The tracker who helped with the impala backtracked the bull up the mountain.

This was the cause of the game being so terrified at humans we found out from neighbouring farms further out that there has been a lot of activity with poachers and dogs, snares as well as silenced .22 rifles.

The poachers found a good spot for themselves more than 18 000 acres with no owners permanently based on the farms. Its a disgrace and was horibble to see and I suppose that is why the kudus were barking so mad not at a leoprd or a hyenas but the poacher or poachers.

I may have missed another photo of an impala that was hunted but that is the end of this hunt fired one shot and missed and then that bloody evil chicken. :sick:

Felt better on Sunday but very bruised and weak after not eating the whole day Saturday. Packed and headed back home and dropped off the meat to get prosessed.

Monday, I devised another plan to get my freezer filled but that is another story on it's own to be continued. :D

Very nice report! Very sorry to hear about the stomach troubles. I've only been to Africa 3 times and all 3 times I've had an upset stomach in camp. At least this last trip it waited until the next to the last day to act up. Also sorry to hear about the poachers. What a scourge!!!

Oh and congrats to the lucky hunters who scored some very nice animals!!

Ok, I will be off again today for another small adventure with rifles of course then next week I will have two hunting trip reports to cover. My son's turn to be behind a rifle as he hasn't had a chance to hunt this year yet with the start of his varsity life.

I hope to connect with something with very big hooves, tall and slender like my 458 Lott round.

16 May 2024,

After the not so enjoyable forced chicken diet I as able to quickly ask a friend who invited me for hunt earlier in the year if I could still join them. There was a resounding yes answer and my wife did remind me freezers need to be filled. (y) Shes a keeper thats for sure.

So, 16 May we headed north again this time along the banks of the Limpopo not far off from the previous weekend.

20240516-061650.jpg

20240516-063920.jpg

20240516-071531.jpg

Just before 11am we found ourselves at the farm's entrance the farm was split in two one side bordering the Limpopo and the other west of the gravel road going further north. Its' a working farm where they grow Potatoes as their main produce. There is about 6000 acres for the game to roam between the two pieces along the river and the west side.

Whats-App-Image-2024-05-16-at-10-58-42-d4fafddb.jpg

Selfie of the gang of hunters at the farm gate,

Whats-App-Image-2024-05-16-at-10-58-43-a4502c8b.jpg

We got settled in and went off to the range to sight and check rifles.
We did play a bit with 9mm and a 458 Socom and rifles were all ready to go.
My one friend would use the 6.5 x55 Carl Gustav and me the 7x57 CZ 550

Headed out at 3pm and meat animals was on the order of the day.
Waterbuck bull would be on my list if we bumped one or a cow for meat.
Otherwise it was impala, kudu cows, blue wildebeest, eland cows and warties.
The farm hunts by invitaion only and this would be my first trip and it went good I'm in for next year already!!!

So after a long10km walk and the keeping the wind in our face we bump and see kudu bulls that are off the list bump into young eland group and a waterbuck cow that almost gave me a chance but ran away before I was properly setup on the sticks.

Heading back slowly we headed back to the home we stayed in and going around a corner slowly as we walked we spot a kudu cow 120 meters down the road standing next to the road. Slowly got the sticks ready took aim and fired she jumped properly and headed back into the thick bush. We waited a bit marked the spot where she stood and walked over taking her tracks. On the way we spotted two young impala rams in an open field opposite to were the kudu cow stood.

Two minutes later we found her dead with a perfect shot and I hastily took a photo where she lay and then went to the open field to see if we could get my friend onto an impala.

20240516-165545.jpg

The wind was not great and the impala smelled us fleeing to the other side of the large field and range was way too far for us. We then moved to a waterhole and saw two zebra stallion in the road I didn't know it yet but zebra was on the menu but I did not get the memo luckily for them. They were very calm and we could have easily taken one at a range of 80 meters.

Took a couple of nice photos at the waterhole and headed back to the home.

20240516-172938.jpg

20240516-173008.jpg

20240516-173142.jpg

Me and Jay was on to cook dinner and the other two went Jackal hunting with a caller and thermal scope and they had quick success.

20240517-062515.jpg

Photo taken next mornning of their success.

20240516-185953.jpg

Anynone up for lamb Chops Yummie it was a good and a good day all in all.
After last weekends chciken fiasco this kudu cow down was well earned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldcrest

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.