SOUTH AFRICA: MATTANJA HUNTING SAFARIS, Dieter Prinsloo For Buffalo, Sable & Warthog

NH Boy

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
My wife and I just got back from our second trip in 3 years to South Africa. This time I booked with Dieter Prinsloo owner of @MATTANJA HUNTING SAFARIS. This trip was geared towards Buffalo. After my first trip, I knew I would be back to try for buffalo. and if I was traveling all that way why not a Sable and try again for a Warthog( the one critter that eluded me on my first trip). One thing we wanted out of this trip that we missed out on last time was a chance to see more of the big 5. Dieter assured me we could probably find a few of the big 5 with a day trip to Kruger Park or one of the other area parks.
We arrived in South Africa a bit later than anticapated due to a problem with Qatar Airlines and my rifles. I would like to elaborat. The first time we went to Africa, I enlisted the help of Travel Express for flights and advice on the do's and dont's of getting to and from Africa. This time, I don't know why, I decided to handle this planning myself. BAD DECISION. It shouldn't be complicated, but it is.

I flew with Qatar Airlines last time and had nothing but a great experience; so I booked my flights with them again. It all started when I got to JFK airport and tried to transfer my rifles from my connecting flight to Qatar Airlines. That's where things went bad. Qatar Airways said I needed a preapproved authorization number/code that I could only get from dealing with one of their agents. I explained that their website said nothing of this, nor did the person my wife called 4 weeks before our flight! The lady insited that's what I needed and she gave me a number I could call to try to get this authorization number/code. When I called this number, the lady that answered knew nothing of such appoval code and stated exactly what was on the website...needless to say, the Qatar airlines ticket/baggage lady didn't care. She was not letting me on that plane with my rifles.

I did call Travel Express while at the airport and Jennifer said, in fact, there is a pre approval process...it would be nice if the Qatar people that answer the phone actually knew their job. So now I have missed my flight and I am ugly. I reached out to Dieter at Mattanja Safaris and he said not to worry, he had enough rifles and ammo just get on the next flight. I called our wonderful, nearby, daughter and said, "Hey whatchya up to? Do you mind driving to JFK to pick up my rifles?" God bless her! I don't know what I would have had done if she wasn't able to drop what she was doing at work to come bail out old dad. Qatar did manage to get us on the next flight, but so much for our planned layover for 1 night at Afton House and a nice steak dinner to unwind. I contacted Elize at Afton House in Joberg and explained my situation. She was so kind and held our room for us so we could have a hot shower and a good breakfast before catching our last leg on Airlink that morning to Hoedspruit where where we met Dieter and his tracker Elephas.

After gathering up our luggage at Eastgate Airport, it was a short 1/2 hr drive to camp where the we would start hunting. At camp we met Dieter's friend and fellow PH Derian Koekemoer of DK Safaris who was be able to help us the whole time we were there as he was between clients.
The first afternoon, we checked rifles (not mine!) and found no adjustments necessary. After a good dinner we sat by the fire enjoying a drink and getting to know each other and talking of things to come.
I won't go into a day by day account but over the next 3 days we travelled roads looking for fresh tracks. We saw a lot of Buffalo and several "shooters" I think we made 5 or 6 stalks. One in particular was good for me as we got right in close but determined the bulls were not really what we were looking for. To be within 50 yds or so of 4 bulls was good training for what to expect.

Late morning of day 3 or 4 ( I like losing track of the days, that's how I know I am on vacation) we came across tracks of a small group of buffalo there seemed to be a good bull in them, based on the tracks. Long story short, we finally got in front of them just before they were getting ready to cross a gravel road. Up came the sticks and we waited... finally and old cow came out in the road and spotted us immediately it seemed like forever but she finally relaxed and started feeding. The next one out of the brush was the one we wanted. As he came out he was further than I anticapated. I was guessing about 110-120 yds away when he turned slightly towards us giving a beautiful quartering to shot. Someone whispered, "Right on the point of his shoulder." At the shot he reared up and fell fell right on his nose. A quick follow up shot and I had a buffalo! Now his comrades boiled out of the bushes and were not happy their leader was not standing.. we moved about half way closer and waited for them to give up on their charade. Finally they conceded to go elect a new boss and moved on.
never has a drink tasted so good around the fire as that night...

Dieter and Derian asked me if I would be intersted in trying for a spotted Heyena. A future client had to cancel, opening up a spot they had been baiting. They thought with a little luck we could get one of the Heyena they had on trail cam. I said sure so we put out a bunch of the buffalo entrails on the bait pile and waited... The first night, a leopard hit the bait according to the trail cam. I was worried the leopard would own the bait, but they assured me the heyena could and would run the leopard off. Sure enough, the next day, the cam showed that 3 different Heyena's had hit the bait. More bait was placed, the blind was freshened with fresh tree boughs, Derian rigged up an infared attachment to the rifle and we were going heyena hunting. If Africa isn't edgy enough it really takes on another element after dark! The guy's said we had one night, as the coming full moon wasn't going to help the cause. Not to worry, not an hour after dark, the biggest, ugliest Heyena I've ever seen, or I should say only Heyena I've ever seen, made the mistake of thinking it was getting a free meal.

Next, we went to a concession for Sable. It was a drizzly, damp, cloudy day and nothing seemed to want to be out in the weather but we stuck with it and finally found a couple of bulls. We pushed a bit hard and blew them out. Several hours later, we located them again and we were able to get in to range without spooking them and I got a beutiful Sable bull.

Somewhere in this period I finally got my shot at my "white whale" the elusive Warthog and I missed.....I don't know how but $#@!% happens...
The next day we took a day trip to Kruger park and saw some amazing sights: elephant, hippo, crocs, lions, leopard, and a bunch of other plainsgame and birds it was a very nice, relaxing day. We also changed camps to accomadate some other clients, as much as we loved the first camp it was fun to go see another another camp a short distance away and settle in to some new surroundings. The guys now where on "mission Warthog" and pulled out all the stops. They had a secret spot where even I should be able to get one...long story short we went to a beautiful piece of property that seemed to be having a warthog convention. Right off, we saw a decent one (to me decent) Dieter says we can do better ...famous last words...but low and behold late that afternoon the gods finally thought I had paid my due diligence and gave me a another chance and I had me a beautful Warthog!

Another critter that was on my hopefull list was a Civet despite giving it a good try a couple evenings it wasn't meant to be. BUT I was blessed with a lovely large spotted Genet.
All in all a wonderfull trip with great people, good food, and laughs, we got to see a different part of South Africa and all it has to offer. Many thanks to Dieter Prinsloo of Mattanja Hunting Safaris, and Derian Koekemoer of DKSAFARIS and his wife and family for a unforgetable adventure. Dieter and his team made sure that my wife was part of the action and even squeezed in an afternoon of shopping for souveniers and a tour of Hoedspruit (thanks Johlene!)

20230729_140038.jpg
20230726_195656(0).jpg
20230727_185654.jpg
20230725_122729.jpg
20230724_101818.jpg
20230729_081920.jpg
IMG_8832.JPG
20230731_121715.jpg
IMG_8852.JPG

IMG_8855.JPG

20230723_173841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Hunting Report. What cartridge/rifle was the buff shot with?

I know Dieter. Good dude . Hard working & honest PH. I know you had a great experience.

Congratulations.

What did your wife think of safari camp pampering--food, daily laundry, attentions, campfires?

Excellent. I was cheering you on for the hyena from TX! I hunted with Dieter a few weeks ago. Great guy and we are making plans for next year.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congratz! thank you for sharing your experience. When I first started hunting africa a old hand told me to always use a travel agent that specializes in Safari travel. And I believe that the little bit they charge is worth every penny and then some!!! Sorry you weren't able to get your rifles on the trip. And thank goodness your daughter was able to bail you out. The night hunts are special and have a much different feeling to them than the normal daytime.

Good report, congradulations. Very nice animals.

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Love that sable - beautiful animal! All great trophies!

Very nice safari with Dieter! Congratulations! I have a buffalo hunt planned with him next June/July. I hope my hunt is as good as yours! Warthog is on my hit list, as I too have been skunked before, looking for a good one to take. Thanks for the good summary of your trip and the hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mymobilityscooters8929

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?