SOUTH AFRICA: KoringKoppie Hunting Safaris *Warning* Stay Away

@375Fox
My initial comment was spurred by this post on page #16 (and no other):

Doubleplay said:
“Agreed.
If I read a report of someone who went to Africa first time I take it with a grain of salt regardless who the outfitter is.
Same for the hunter goes to Africa multiple times but sticks with the same outfit.
What's the yardstick?”

For a first time hunter/reporter or a long time member that has posted multiple reports with the same outfitter; how are they supposed to interpret this? And note that there is no mention of “puff pieces” which probably account for less than 5% of the hunt reports on AH (please correct me if I’m wrong). I take it as condescending and, I can’t help but think that Mark took it the same way.

Mark Biggerstaff (one of the most respected members on this site) posted on page #18:
“Well, I assume from the comments that after 6 trips with the same outfitter, although at multiple camps ranging from Northwest, Limpopo and Kalahari my opinions don't matter.
Thats fine. I need a beak from AH anyways.
I don't know what has happened but this site has gone down hill in the last 3-4 months where it's not even pleasurable to log in and read threads.
There is to much bickering, bashing and uncalled for comments to me.
This will be my last post for awhile while I take a break from all this”.
I read it as a fair statement if emotion is removed especially in the context of new members that joined to make positive “reports” on this thread. I’ll agree with Mark on the bickering, bashing, and uncalled for comments though. Something has occurred more recently with the discussions on this site. The degree of professional is declining as well as the quality of information as a result.

@375Fox
My initial comment was spurred by this post on page #16 (and no other):

Doubleplay said:
“Agreed.
If I read a report of someone who went to Africa first time I take it with a grain of salt regardless who the outfitter is.
Same for the hunter goes to Africa multiple times but sticks with the same outfit.
What's the yardstick?”

For a first time hunter/reporter or a long time member that has posted multiple reports with the same outfitter; how are they supposed to interpret this? And note that there is no mention of “puff pieces” which probably account for less than 5% of the hunt reports on AH (please correct me if I’m wrong). I take it as condescending and, I can’t help but think that Mark took it the same way.

Mark Biggerstaff (one of the most respected members on this site) posted on page #18:
“Well, I assume from the comments that after 6 trips with the same outfitter, although at multiple camps ranging from Northwest, Limpopo and Kalahari my opinions don't matter.
Thats fine. I need a beak from AH anyways.
I don't know what has happened but this site has gone down hill in the last 3-4 months where it's not even pleasurable to log in and read threads.
There is to much bickering, bashing and uncalled for comments to me.
This will be my last post for awhile while I take a break from all this”.
I have no idea what your intentions are but you are taking my post out of context.
As far as Mark, who said his opinion does not matter.
Every opinion matters but for me some carries more weight.. you do what you want.
Besides don't be so sure about the % of the puff pieces...

Let me repost it :
think Kuche doesn't have a higher percentage of unsatisfied clients because a lot of their clientele doesn't know any better.
Agreed.
What's the yardstick?
You don't know what you don't know.

Last edited:
I read it as a fair statement if emotion is removed especially in the context of new members that joined to make positive “reports” on this thread. I’ll agree with Mark on the bickering, bashing, and uncalled for comments though. Something has occurred more recently with the discussions on this site. The degree of professional is declining as well as the quality of information as a result.
I hope Mark reconsiders because his “degree of professionalism” and “quality of information” will certainly be missed.

I have no idea what your intentions are but you are taking my post out of context.
Every opinion matters but for me some carries more weight.. you do what you want.

Let me repost it :

Agreed.
What's the yardstick?
And some don't know what they don't know because they don't know everything ... even though they think they do. You can take everyone's reports with a grain of salt if you want to. But climbing onto that "my yardstick is better than yours" high horse really doesn't build credibility. It burns it.

Let me repost it :

Agreed.
What's the yardstick?

I didn’t take this negatively at all. If you only hunt one country, what is your basis for comparison to others? I have been blessed to hunt six African countries over the course of many safaris. However Tanzania and Uganda have eluded me. In my mind I feel that I may have missed the best, however I have no way to objectively compare them to the countries I have hunted. I therefore look to the advice of those who have hunted them in addition to countries I have hunted to provide an informed opinion.

I've been on three safaris in which One was a complete mess one was decent but had some things happen that I would never hunt with them again and one in Zambia that was great the other two was in Zimbabwe.I would like to have done hunt reports to warn people but this thread reminds me of why I didn't.
You definitely have to have thick skin. Before I posted it I sent it to a hunting friend. He said you know your going to get some haters. I said ya I know but it's worth letting people know how I was treated by someone that's in a customer service business. I have been thru worse things in life and definitely have had people say worse.

You definitely have to have thick skin. Before I posted it I sent it to a hunting friend. He said you know your going to get some haters. I said ya I know but it's worth letting people know how I was treated by someone that's in a customer service business. I have been thru worse things in life and definitely have had people say worse.
Good for you. I gotta say that business about sorting out your own skivvies in the morning was over the top bad service. I didn't have to do that in the Army. And they specialized in bad service on purpose. But hey, what do I know? I haven't shot a hundred buffalo and hunted twenty African countries. My opinion isn't worth a grain of salt. :D

Last edited:
I don't usually post because I'm new on this site. However, I appreciate your post.
I'm planning my hunt for 2026. I have been talking to outfitters from whom I can get reviews.
I'm sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience, especially with your girlfriend being with you.

It's funny you say this because my first few posts to the site were actually during this thread when a bunch of members turned on OP and were bashing him for how he handled the situation. If I recall correctly I was saying that from the pictures he posted no one sticking up for the outfitter would be thrilled to have the waterbuck, impala, and warthog he posted as trophies. So my first posts to the site were to criticize the outfitter for taking smaller animals than he should and calling them trophies. But I did it without resorting to being a jerk about other people's animals they were happy about. You actually agreed with those posts, liked them, and replied in agreement.

I’ve probably been one of the most critical commenters to the OP. You’re welcome to call it turning on him and bashing him, or whatever else you want to think, but that was not my intention or how it was meant to come across. I’ve said multiple times I’m sorry he had a bad safari and I hope it doesn’t deter him and his girlfriend from future safaris. There are actions he describes that are unbecoming of a profession hunter regardless of the situation. There are several aspects I’ve been more vocal about with regard to the OP and his part in the situation, even if it’s only from his viewpoint. One thing you will see is I’ve never negatively commented on anyone’s pictures. A trophy is determined in each of our eyes. In fact that’s a criticism I’ve told the OP in that it’s his responsibility to determine if that’s a trophy in his eyes. There are animals on several threads that I’d pass on, i still congratulate them on a great hunt and trophy because it’s their trophy and if they’re happy that’s all that matters. Any comment made with regards to immature animals was about the OP opinion of the other hunters animals being immature and how that should have solidified him being more critical of what he was viewing and killing to decide if he’d be happy.

I’ve conversed with the OP privately multiple times. I know he’s genuinely interested in the tipping. I’ve shared my past experiences in handling tips, and let him know that same situation has happened to me as well as a slight variation or two of it. We’ve discussed the wounded animal policy and how others haven’t commented on it because that’s also a sour point of his. I doubt the outfitter tells anyone that up front, I’m sure it’s not always the case, and I’d venture to guess it’s a game time decision and situation/animal dependent. The OP probably drew the short straw but there’s also another side to that story and I’m not the PH in the moment so I can’t armchair quarterback why he did it. I have my suspicions given the photos/video shown:

I usually stay silent but…Wowzers…this thread has fallen apart. Probably needs to be put in the archives. I only say so as a moderator on multiple other forums.

To the OP. Some Terrible things happened on your trip. Looking back after the fact I wouldn’t say you were not in any type of danger but I understand the situation you felt you were in at the time.

Your “trophies” to me are underwhelming to say the least. Having not been to this particular outfit but seeing these new members join and post photos show me everything I need to know. These are cull animals if not inbred. Nothing is “trophy” about them. But I also don’t know in detail what this particular outfit offers other than what is in this thread.

As far as guns, I always take my own. If I’m after something oddball that doesn’t fit my caliber I will insist I shoot the rifle at the range and I always carry the ammo.

However you also have a responsibility to decide as you are the trigger man. You need to pick if you are happy with your trophy. I, like you hunt waterfowl a great deal. It is mine and your responsibility to pick the breed of duck we are shooting and to distinguish if it is not only male or female but if it is a shooter. Take a pintail for example. I would never shoot a female and I want to shoot a male with a large sprig, or a wood duck. I want vibrant colors on a male and most definitely not a female. Or a hooded merganser. I want to see dark black, no brown. Then I pull the trigger.

I’ve read all the posts and feel bad for you in some aspects but at the end of the day what failed is communication. Watching your giraffe video confirmed this. And I’m not against you as I have been in a similar situation in Africa. You do what you can to make it positive and hope for the best. You had a different dynamic with your girlfriend there. From my very limited perspective, I honestly hope after this and her staying by your side she becomes your wife. That alone would make you a lucky man!

Your animals / trophies are marginal at best. Hopefully you had a decent enough trip and I believe you paid a small enough amount that everything will be okay, maybe you can get something back from PHSSA (if that is correct) to make you feel better but honestly at the end of the day you need to make the final call. You are the trigger man. You decide. You pick. You choose. You kill or you let live. And communication is key. Tell the Ph you don’t want them to back you up, tell them you want to shoot the rifle, tell them you want more ammo and you want to finish the animal yourself. Tell them what size animal you are after. Tell them what type of food you eat, the drinks you drink, etc.

On a side note, I did have to laugh at your underwear story as I have dealt with that several times and while not the most exciting thing to deal with…TIA. However don’t be upset with the staff, they do their best but there are times they can’t distinguish your underwear from another guy in camp!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asrsportsmedicine

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?