SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting Report With Phillip Bronkhorst Safaris

I do as well, she was with me in 2018 and 21, in 18 she talked me into shooting a 29 1/2” waterbuck and in 21 a 39” gemsbok bull. I only wish she would’ve been with me when we came across a 59+” kudu, she slept in that morning, I definitely wasn’t going to make that call unilaterally.

Congratulations! Very nice kudu! Impressive impala!

Sometimes the accountant need to stay back at the office in the lodge to get work done :ROFLMAO:

Did you know about the No Hunting on Sunday before you booked? I gotta say I've never run across that and although I don't mind taking off a day to relax a little, I'd prefer that to be my choice.

Sometimes the accountant need to stay back at the office in the lodge to get work done :ROFLMAO:

Did you know about the No Hunting on Sunday before you booked? I gotta say I've never run across that and although I don't mind taking off a day to relax a little, I'd prefer that to be my choice.
Lol
We did, and it was nice.

Great writeup. That kudu bull is nice. Deep curls and nice tops. Fabulous bull in every way.

Don't feel too bad about the waterbuck. It took me three trips to sort that out, including my only wounded and lost animal in Africa. They're always around when you're not looking for them. Decide to hunt them and they evaporate more quickly than a kudu bull.

I have a similar accountant, but mine only requests that the final tally to be equal on both sides. She calls it "an equal and opposite reaction." But, I already know what would happen if a 59" kudu showed up. Passing on that would put me squarely in the PH's crosshairs.

I have fond memories of a particular phone call from the bush to my accountant concerning a last-second exportable elephant add-on. That's what happens when the buffalo goes in the salt on day 3 of a 10 day hunt and COVID has messed up people being where they're supposed to be.

Really enjoyed the write up and many of the comments, I’ve came to a conclusion maybe I don’t need an accountant that lives with me after all lol

I haven’t hunted with Phillip but have known him since I was very little great guy to be around. That camp looked incredible, loved the tented accommodation and Lapa area.

The kudu you took is a great old bull shows his age on his face but also with the nicely flared tipped out horns fine old bull, I bet the day spent out on the pontoon boat was unjoyful. Looked like a good way to spend the day and eat some good food. A waterbuck that I’d say was worth the wait and a beautiful Nyala bull.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Day 8, Tuesday-Another early start this morning, as Ruan took us to Marakele National Park about 2 hours away in Thabazimbi. There are two sections to the park, one where you can camp in different locations, and the bigger part has the Big 5 in it where you can do the game drives. There is a tunnel under a highway where the park divides. The scenery in the Waterberg Mountains is pretty spectacular. It's very dry and there's a lot of dust in the air, so it limited our views from the top of one mountain. There's a lot of brush next to most of the one-lane roads, so it's hard to see wildlife. We saw an elephant, 2 white rhinos, klipspringers and numerous birds on the way to the top. In the camping area, there is one tent-camp place on a lake that you can rent. They had all the amenities, you just had to pack groceries in for your stay and fight off the vervet monkeys. I think it would be a pretty awesome place to hang out watching game come to water.
After returning to camp after lunch, we hung out watching animals come to the camp feeding ground/waterhole, I visited with the skinner and my wife caught up on some business at home. Another great dinner and campifire tales with all the crew and clients. I could get used to this. We made plans for a hike and other stuff the next day. Slept like a baby.
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0601.jpg
elephant mountain.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0648.jpg
Lake camp.jpg
Breeding bull at camp.jpg

Day 9, Wednesday-We went hiking today! There was a rock shelter up near the top of a koppie (hill for us Texans) on a neighboring ranch. There were some clay pots in the shelter, but they looked like kilns or chimineas. The Natives about 600 years ago used them and you could see smoke marks on the very low ceiling. It took about 45 minutes to get up there, with just a little scramble at the end. My wife kept saying she was going to get bit on the face by a snake at the end. Not very many people know about this. Now y’all do. They have a bush spa here at camp and Anna got a massage in the afternoon. Later we drove over to a big cat sanctuary at another adjoining ranch and looked at lions, servals and caracals.
Some of the other clients rolled in with a really nice Cape Buffalo. From what I heard, there was a charge involved. I can't figure out how they got it in the back of one of those Toyota trucks.
It was our last evening there, and we enjoyed the comraderie and good food around the fire. I was sad to leave, because the whole experience had been amazing. From the people, the animals, and the sights and the smells, South Africa had carved out a piece of my heart. I got a little emotional saying goodbye, there may or may not have been someone cutting onions nearby.
On the other hand, we were ready to get back home. Not really...

Day 10, Thursday-We all know how that drive is back to the airport, when you're thinking about the whole experience. I won't bore you with the day's details, but we spent a lot of time at the Whisky and Wine Bar while our plane was delayed 2 hrs. And, I wanted to throw the inconsiderate old bastage sitting behind me off the plane!

Thanks for letting me share our trip, we WILL be going back in a few years.

someone
last ascent clay pots.jpg
IMG_4987.jpg
IMG_4991.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg
lion.jpg
caracal.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg

Very well written! I enjoyed it immensely. It sounds like a wonderful trip. I, too, had to sit with my Kudu for awhile. I may or may not have gotten a little choked up. It was the fulfillment of a lifetime of dreams. Thank you for such a wonderful report!

I enjoyed reading your write up,

I’m a little late to the party!

That is just an an awesome Kudu, can’t wait to see him on the wall. Side trips looked really fun too. Glad you and your wife had an awesome trip.

Philip runs a top notch camp. I hunted with him in May of 2019. Eddie Greyling was my PH. Ruan had just started when I was there, I believe as an apprentice PH. Glad to see he is moving on up!

I enjoyed reading your write up,

I’m a little late to the party!

That is just an an awesome Kudu, can’t wait to see him on the wall. Side trips looked really fun too. Glad you and your wife had an awesome trip.
Thanks, Pinche!

Philip runs a top notch camp. I hunted with him in May of 2019. Eddie Greyling was my PH. Ruan had just started when I was there, I believe as an apprentice PH. Glad to see he is moving on up!
It is an awesome run place. Eddie stayed at my house back in February when they were here doing the show circuit. I really like him, he's a super guy. Ruan is going to make his mark.

Excellent Thank You for sharing :D Beers:

Excellent writeup. Congrats on a really awesome kudu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RheaWke57

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]