SOUTH AFRICA: Heading Out For South African Safari With Limcroma Safaris

Day 3 AM
Up and at em again chasing Eland. We got close several times but the dang wind and how thick the brush was was making it super super difficult. We had seen several eland cows and I could have shot them if they were a bull, but the bull would be with them one second via tracks then divided and it was the cows who always busted us it seems. We did this until lunch time and decided to head back I'm for lunch being thr property we was hunting was so close to camp. On the way back to camp my PH spots a really nice Blue Wildebeest. I wasn't planning on shooting a blur this trip but when I laid eyes on him I decided to try and take him.

We jump off the truck and grt within 50 yds of him. I am waiting for him to take another step to get into an opening and...wind swirls straight to him. He immediately takes off running. Luckily he ran in a direction we had to drive by. I don't usually like shooting an animal from the truck, but decided if given the opportunity I would. When we turned the corner I could see him standing under a tree and the PH said to take him. I lined up squeezed off a shot and he was DRT. He turned out to be a super nice bull measuring 27in even.
20230423_063419.jpg
20230423_063434.jpg
20230423_095423.jpg
received_1423889228359705.jpeg
received_1953834808287453.jpeg
received_1644827852706531.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3 PM
After lunch we got back on the Eland. They had left the super thick area during the middle of the day and had went into an area that was more open. We figure exactly which block they are in and ease in. We follow tracks for maybe 60 yds and see a young bull. No big bull to be seen, but we know four bulls were in this group. About that time...wind swirls and bull takes off. We head back to the truck and ride around thst block and as we are doing so see two bulls about 600 yds down a rode. We ease that direction and stop short of them with thr truck to try and put a stalk on them. However, another bull unbeknownst to us was inadvertently hanging out on the way them and bursts out running straight for them. We see the two bulls we were after run back out in the road and steadily run away from us.

We decide to put the tracker on the tracks and go to this big super wide road we though they would cross which is quite a ways away.

We get there and I get set up on the sticks. By now it's 35-45 mins til dark. Tracker said they have moved closer main road. We book it up there on feet and grt set up. About 15 mins left to shoot and the young bull pops out at 250 yds, almost directly across from where we were set up. Then here comes the big bull. PH tells me he's at 258. Asks if I felt comfortable...I said yes. He said he's slightly quartering to us so shoot him a little forward. I get lines up squeeze the trigger and see a huge animal jump higher than one could imagine and mule kick.

We get down there to where he was an no blood at shot sight. However thr young bull is still hanging around and PH said chances are your bull is dead somewhere right here. The tracker eases out thr woods behind us now and gets our attention. He can see my bull from where he is. We slowly walk to where tracker is and he told us he saw the bull go down. We head into where tracker saw him and my Eland is down for the count! Super nice bull in my opinion. Nice Blue coloring, big body, and 34.5in and 33in horns. I was on cloud 9!!!

received_6298336356897045.jpeg
received_597873022311352.jpeg
received_934033471244401.jpeg
received_770155018013961.jpeg
received_611469017540697.jpeg
received_1259621074939728.jpeg
20230423_161818.jpg
20230423_161814.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! What great pics. Congrats on the harvests. Some very fine animals. Looking forward to the rest of the adventure.

Day 4 and 5
Both of these days were spent chasing the elusive bushbuck. On the first morning we saw a single shooter for a total of about 2 seconds as he was running away. The grass on the river was so tall all you could see were their heads in certain places. We did see several younger males and quite a few females that morning. That afternoon we went back to the same property we hunted that morning and only saw two females.

The next morning we chose to hunt a large property with several several miles of river frontage. However, the grass was the same here. Everything was super thick. As we were driving in we saw a pretty nice bushbuck that we wanted to get a better look at. However, we never saw him again. Throughout that morning we saw multiple young males and females. During lunch we sat up on an old water hole that had a lot of young green growth. We saw seven different bushbuck there from about 12-3. I wanted to stay but the PH said we should walk the property again in hopes we could find a shooter. Unfortunately, we walked and walked and never ran across anymore bushbuck that afternoon.

We decided that afternoon after dark we would go check a couple crop fields in hopes we could catch up with a big male. I didn't want to take one at night, but after many many miles I had decided I would be ok with this. When we drove into the field and turned on the spotlight, there were at least 100 bushbuck in the field. Unfortunately, none of the ones in the field were mature males. We checked a couple more fields with the same outcome. We did however see three brown hyenas on the road back to camp.

I still had a couple other animals on the list and ultimately decided we should pursue those and save the bushbuck for next year as the days were slowly but surely winding down. The bushbuck defeated me this year, but I will be back with vengeance next year!
20230424_070316.jpg
20230424_070320.jpg
20230424_073223.jpg
20230424_074438.jpg
20230424_082506.jpg
20230424_155734.jpg
20230424_164839.jpg
20230425_055850.jpg
20230425_112807.jpg
20230425_113029.jpg
20230425_121626.jpg
20230425_121629.jpg
20230425_125114.jpg
20230425_125222.jpg
20230425_125436.jpg
20230425_125825.jpg
20230425_125834.jpg
20230425_130304.jpg
20230425_130313.jpg
20230425_130323.jpg
20230425_130816.jpg

I can relate on bushbuck, that has been a tough one to get for me as well. Nice trip and write up. Gets me excited to go back.

Day 6
As the Safari was winding down I still had a Nyala high on the list. We had seen a couple younger ones throughout the hunt, but I was looking for a goodun. We set out that morning to hunt a property that had some nice nyala on it. We pull through the gate and immediately see a Nyala. However, he wasn't quite what I was looking for. He was pretty, but wasn't the "One". We proceeded to drive around the property for the next several hours to see several more Nyala, but not the one I was after. We headed back to camp at lunch for a quick bite. However, at lunch some other hunters and their PH was talking about a big beautiful Nyala that had seen on the conjoining property we were hunting. As the PH was describing him, my PH kind of perked up as well. My PH told me he thinks that may be the big bull we are after and he somehow got on that other property.

We decided we would immediately get back out and see. After a couple phone calls we were on that other property. By this time it was quite warm. We figured they would be in the shade or near water holes. We saw some of the guys that was going around filling up mineral sites etc...and they said they had saw a couple Nyala on the opposite side of the property. As we head that direction there is a single mineral site on the way in an open area. At that mineral site, about 300 yds away are two nyala bulls. The PH wanted to get a better look at them so we decided to drive around on a road behind the field that would come out around 100 yds from the bulls. We could easily hop off and get a good look at them. However, we never made it that far. Not 75 yds down that road/trail we saw a very nice Nyala. My PH said thats the one you need to take. We drive past him and turn left down another road to get out of sight of him. We ease off the back of the truck as the tracker slowly keeps driving. We slowly use the brush for cover and get within about 60 yds of the bull. The PH puts up the sticks and said let me check one more time to make sure. He said yes this is a very nice bull and is what you are looking for. I settled the crosshairs on this absolutely stunning animal and slowly squeezed off a shot and he was DRT.

I have seen Nyala on TV and in person but I had never seen any up close and personal. In my opinion, they are one of the most beautiful animals in the world. Not to mention, this one was a pretty nice one and was exactly what I was looking for.

20230426_063800.jpg
20230426_081456.jpg
received_591989132877194.jpeg
received_779098473909857.jpeg
received_535392042005190.jpeg
20230426_151703.jpg

After we got the Nyala loaded up and back to the skinning shed my PH and I discussed what other plan of action we could do. We could go back after bushbuck or go hunt a big golden wildebeest. I said lets save the bushbuck until next year, I was still mad at them at this point. Looking back I probably should have given it one more go, but ultimately everything worked out like it was supposed to.

We head to a property that supposedly has some really nice golden's. We get there and immediately start seeing some nice bulls. However, I wanted a special bull. My blue was right at 27in or a hair over depending on what you measured him with and I was looking for something comparable. We saw some really nice younger bulls and then right at dark ran up on a group of four. There were two definite shooters in the group. One that looked very similar to my blue and another that didn't have as deep of curls but was significantly wider and just looked ancient. I told the PH I wanted to get a shot at that one. We jump off the truck and slowly start moving into position. This group of four was constantly moving and eating. It was a chore to get out in front of them and get a shot through the brush. Its now getting super close to dark. They finally hit an opening and I get up on the sticks. My PH says if you do not feel 100% confident in the shot dont take it because its late. I told him I felt great. He said ok take the shot and shoot him in the shoulder. He was quartered to us a little more than I expected but I squeezed off a shot that hit him in the shoulder and exited behind the shoulder. He did a huge mule kick and was running with his head directly to the ground. Then we heard crashing and knew he was down. We gave it a couple minutes and headed towards where we heard the crashing and there lay my golden. He was a super old bull that had already worn down one side of his horns. His head was significantly larger than my blue's but his body was smaller. He was guessed to be 11-12 yrs old. My PH said it was the oldest bull he has had a chance to take. Not to mention, he measured a whopping 29in. My PH had originally guessed him at 27-28, but once we got up there he said he is much wider. He said he looked smaller until we got up there because of how big his head was and how long his ears were.
received_183320681308481.jpeg
received_570760708226923.jpeg
received_621786316491845.jpeg
20230426_174126.jpg

I was pretty pumped up with the trophies I was able to take on this day. My Nyala was a really nice one measuring 28.5 and the golden was just a freaking tank at 29.

I agree with you about Nyala. Beautiful animals. Bushbuck can be rather shy. I really enjoy hunting them. I have managed to take 5 and the are always an interesting hunt. Congrats
Bruce

I agree with you about Nyala. Beautiful animals. Bushbuck can be rather shy. I really enjoy hunting them. I have managed to take 5 and the are always an interesting hunt. Congrats
Bruce
I will get one next year. Eland and Nyala were #1 and #2 on the list. The bushbuck hunting was different and unique. They frustrated the heck out of me, but I truly enjoyed hunting them.

Day 3 PM
After lunch we got back on the Eland. They had left the super thick area during the middle of the day and had went into an area that was more open. We figure exactly which block they are in and ease in. We follow tracks for maybe 60 yds and see a young bull. No big bull to be seen, but we know four bulls were in this group. About that time...wind swirls and bull takes off. We head back to the truck and ride around thst block and as we are doing so see two bulls about 600 yds down a rode. We ease that direction and stop short of them with thr truck to try and put a stalk on them. However, another bull unbeknownst to us was inadvertently hanging out on the way them and bursts out running straight for them. We see the two bulls we were after run back out in the road and steadily run away from us.

We decide to put the tracker on the tracks and go to this big super wide road we though they would cross which is quite a ways away.

We get there and I get set up on the sticks. By now it's 35-45 mins til dark. Tracker said they have moved closer main road. We book it up there on feet and grt set up. About 15 mins left to shoot and the young bull pops out at 250 yds, almost directly across from where we were set up. Then here comes the big bull. PH tells me he's at 258. Asks if I felt comfortable...I said yes. He said he's slightly quartering to us so shoot him a little forward. I get lines up squeeze the trigger and see a huge animal jump higher than one could imagine and mule kick.

We get down there to where he was an no blood at shot sight. However thr young bull is still hanging around and PH said chances are your bull is dead somewhere right here. The tracker eases out thr woods behind us now and gets our attention. He can see my bull from where he is. We slowly walk to where tracker is and he told us he saw the bull go down. We head into where tracker saw him and my Eland is down for the count! Super nice bull in my opinion. Nice Blue coloring, big body, and 34.5in and 33in horns. I was on cloud 9!!!

View attachment 530938View attachment 530939View attachment 530940View attachment 530941View attachment 530942View attachment 530943View attachment 530944View attachment 530945
Who is your ph and tracker

Janlou was my PH and Philimon was my tracker. Janlou has been my Ph the last two years and is absolutely amazing. This was my first year having Philimon as the tracker and he was also phenomenal! Which all the crew and staff at Limcroma are.

Day 7
On the evening of day six I decided I wanted to attempt to take a zebra as the wife mentioned a zebra rug would look really good in the trophy room. I had never really wanted to take a zebra, but thought she was right and would add to the flow of the room.

That morning we woke to howling winds and it was a little chilly. It had been cool in the mornings on the back of the truck but was steamy hot by 9 every day. This morning the wind made it even cooler back there. We headed to the same property I took my eland on in an attempt to either spot some zebra or see some fresh tracks. We drove around for a bit until we briefly spotted a zebra in some very thick cover. The PH informed me the tracker was going to go in and get on the tracks and we were going to go set up on a road the zebra should cross if the PH was slowly tracking him.

We get set up on the road and see gemsbok and impala but no zebra. We head to the next block and continue this same tactic. The tracker radioed us he lost the tracks but would continue heading our way in hopes he could find them again in the road. Once again we saw gemsbok and impala but no zebra. My PH decided to continue to allow the tracker to work the tracks and we would slowly ride and get a couple blocks in front of the tracker as it seemed the zebra was still moving quite quickly.

As we are heading there I am on the back of the truck and the PH is driving. Up ahead I see a few zebras. I snap my fingers to get him to stop the truck and tell him where the zebras are. I tell him I don't have a problem shooting from the truck for the zebra. He tells me to take the big stallion on the far left. I get down on the gun, put it on the zebra's shoulder where it makes a triangle and squeeze off a shot. The zebra immediately takes off with his head hung low. I heard the impact because all my animals were shot with a 300 win mag with a silencerco omega 300. That combo isn't much louder than a 22! When we got to where we thought the zebra was there was no blood. My Ph tells me to stand there and he would go look in the direction the zebra ran. He is gone for about 5 mins and during this time the tracker meets back up with us. The PH emerges and I tell him I think the zebra was up further than where we looked. We ease up there and I spot blood. The PH tells me man that doesn't look like good blood. I was pretty sure I saw bubbles in some of it but didn't want to argue. We follow the blood for about 45 yards into the brush and wham bam there's my zebra. The PH busts out in laughter! He had already found the zebra and just wanted me to worry a bit! We had some good laughs after that.
20230427_085645.jpg
received_3484064985195505.jpeg
received_1011142969854697.jpeg
received_778795383572520.jpeg

After getting the zebra to the skinning shed and eating lunch, I asked if we could go to the river and fish. The PH said yes. We went and got some liver and hit a dove on the way to the river for bait. The PH couldn't find his rod so we borrowed a couple rods from the skinners. Lets just say, I have seen better rods at local flea markets lol! We get to the river, get set up and I cast a total of about 15 feet from the bank as there isn't any line left on the rod. Low and behold within a couple minutes I am hooked up with a big river cat. The cats there fought well and before long I had caught my first fish in Africa! We continue to fish until supper time with a couple nibbles but no bites. We take the catfish to the skinners as they apparently love them. All in all it was a great day!
20230427_165227.jpg
20230427_165255.jpg
20230427_165500.jpg
20230427_170441.jpg

Well done and some great animals.

Wow, looks like you had an AWESOME safari and you definitely shot some great trophies. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TodCrayton

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?