SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Jannie Otto Safaris?

19_A_CPT

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commitee Member
Hunted
South Africa
Recently purchased a hunt through a non-profit's auction for 2 youth hunters and 2 observers with Jannie Otto.

Looks like they have a few different concessions in South Africa, Eastern Cape, as well as a few other places.

Anybody have any info they could PM me? Hunt reviews?

Will be my sons' first trip over.

Recently purchased a hunt through a non-profit's auction for 2 youth hunters and 2 observers with Jannie Otto.

Looks like they have a few different concessions in South Africa, Eastern Cape, as well as a few other places.

My wife and I just went on a hunt with Jannie last August. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. The experience was absolutely fantastic and we plan on going back in 2027! Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Last edited:

Here is a mini-review:

When we went with Jannie we were down in the Free State between two camps but all still in the Free State. Everything went smooth for us and we really could not think of any complaints. All accommodations were above extraordinary and the food was even better. We felt safe the entire time and really developed great relationships with the staff. I am confident that you will really enjoy his staff and partners based on what we experienced. We still talk to our PH weekly.

The hunting was fantastic and we really enjoyed each hunt. We told our PH that we wanted to use our feet to hunt and we were able to have some incredible stalks. It is really hard to explain how much we enjoyed it.

Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to know. It’s really fun to talk about!

IMG_7052.JPG
IMG_6899.JPG
5f1c74cd-062e-47ba-8cd2-d3ab6d27d73a.jpg
IMG_6926.JPG
IMG_6965.JPG
IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6978.JPG
78b38062-e30e-4f07-a818-d7d596999500.jpg

Last edited:
@19_A_CPT
My wife and I purchased one of Jannie’s donations and hunted in the Free State back in October 2001. We likely hunted one of the same concessions as @HuntingFreak. Jannie seems to have been in the business a good while and my impression is that he primarily spends his time marketing and booking trips these days, rather than actually hunting. He met us at the lodge our first day but we really didn’t see him after that. That’s not a knock on him just setting expectations. That said, we really enjoyed our PH, Mark Mackenzie. Based on the previous post Jannie has quality PHs working for him. The concession was nice and I really enjoyed the Free State just east of Kimberly. My wife really enjoyed it because the visibility was greater than when we hunted in the Limpopo Province. I think it would be great for kids. I could go on but you should feel confident in your outfitter…Ive not had a bad experience in South Africa though.

@19_A_CPT
My wife and I purchased one of Jannie’s donations and hunted in the Free State back in October 2001. We likely hunted one of the same concessions as @HuntingFreak. Jannie seems to have been in the business a good while and my impression is that he primarily spends his time marketing and booking trips these days, rather than actually hunting. He met us at the lodge our first day but we really didn’t see him after that. That’s not a knock on him just setting expectations. That said, we really enjoyed our PH, Mark Mackenzie. Based on the previous post Jannie has quality PHs working for him. The concession was nice and I really enjoyed the Free State just east of Kimberly. My wife really enjoyed it because the visibility was greater than when we hunted in the Limpopo Province. I think it would be great for kids. I could go on but you should feel confident in your outfitter…Ive not had a bad experience in South Africa though.
We hunted bow hunted Limpopo a few years back and the distance in Limpopo might be better for the boys (14 & 10). I will likely send them with my 257 Roberts which range won't be an issue but the accuracy might be with the young shooters. I guess time will tell. Get them shooting off the sticks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatrisSam

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles