SOUTH AFRICA: First Trip To Africa With GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS

jomw10

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi,

I just came back from a wonderful trip to South Africa with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS. Don Laaks was my PH. It was a great experience.
I flew British Airways to Heathrow/Johannesburg and then airlink to East London. No guns, I rented guns from games4africa.
The fly in went all as planned, cannot say the same on the way back!. Arrived to East London around 6pm, Don was there to meet me.
We started the hunt on their new North camp. Originally I was going to do the South African spiral slam (Eland, Kudu, Bushbuck and Nyala), but it quickly escalated into a lot of extra animals!.
We arrived late to a wonderful dinner before retiring for the long 3 days travel. Next morning we went to the range to test their guns.
I was going to use a 375H&H for the Eland and 7mag for the rest of the animals.
First shoot the 7mag from the bench, around 2" high (as zero), then the 375H&H about 3 inch high and 1 to the right.
I then grab the shooting sticks and shot the 375 again, this time it was touching the 7mag bullet hole. All is good, it's time to go hunting.
We started by chasing Eland. They have quit a few of them in this property. Saw some in the distance, and try to put some stacks in others.
At one point we send one of the trackers to see if he can push the elands into a closer area as they were far from any roads in a hilly area.
We start driving to the area we expect to start our stack when we saw another group of males in a more accessible area.
We stack them to within 300 yards. Now Don and Wik (he hunted with us the first day) start the process of checking all the bulls. I think there were 6 to 8 bulls in there.
Several were just laying down and not easy to evaluate. Eventually they settle in two bulls. But there was no shot as they were all very close and laying down. So we wait, what it feel like hours, probably just a few minutes. On the distance some wildebeest start moving, Don say, once they are in sight, the Elands will get up and move, get ready. And sure enough, the Wildebeest cross in front of the Eland about 500 yards and they start moving. Now it was my time to follow the correct bull.
The bull clear the others and was given the go ahead. I put the crosshair lowest 1/3 of the body, just behind the shoulder and pull the trigger (at 283 yards).
I see dust so I think I missed, all elands go running but want all of a sudden collapse in front of a bush, just 15 yards or so from when I shoot. The bullet had gone through the heart. First animal on the salt. Congratulations and pictures followed. Then 2 trackers and 2 skinners to get the huge animal into the back of the cruiser.

We drove back to the camp area to drop the Eland and have some lunch. All food provided was great, and also the facilities at both camps.
After lunch decided to go look for a blue wildebeest, first animal that was not on my original list. We put several stacks that were not successful, being busted by a lone wildebeest or not founding a suitable animal on a large group. Eventually we came across a single animal. Horns look very old. Short stock, sticks come out, now shooting the 7mag, shot is around 130 yards, it's a hit, but the wildebeest runs in circles and stop almost at the same place where I shot. Quickly a second shot and he is down. Two beautiful animals on the first day.

PHOTO-2024-05-23-23-44-20.jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-23-23-44-21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the second I decided to add a zebra to the list. Another extra animal ( a pattern is emerging!).
We went out in the cruiser looking for zebra, and got a call from Vick, who was leaving to his south camp to prepare for another hunter, to let us know that he had seen a group.
We drove close by and got of the cruiser, the tracker drove out and we start stalking once the zebras drop out of view. We got closer until we re-found them. There were 7 or so zebras laying down and eating. Don pick one, up went the sticks and another shot. Zebras all run down. We sent the tracker to where I had shot to not find any blood!. I know I had hit him, so the tracker starter following their prints while we walk the road. Tracker cross the road where Don saw some marks and eventually find blood but no zebra. We keep walking until I look to my right and there he was looking at me, still standing. It tray to move, but it was limping, gun went up and another shot, he was done. Original shot was at 220.
After collecting the zebra we went looking for a springbok. Saw several large groups, eventually we saw a smaller group (9 or so) of springboks together with some impala and wildebeest in the distance.
We pull a stack until we got to 219 yards. Up went the sticks and the springbok was down on the spot.

We had another half hour or so before lunch was ready and we had to drive to their south camp.
On our last spot we found an impala. Short stalk, sticks and gun went up. Shot at 139 yards, it ran like 20 yards and it piled up. 3 animals in half a day of hunting.

PHOTO-2024-05-24-05-55-36 (1).jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-24-05-55-36.jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-24-05-55-35.jpg

Quite a few of the members here, myself included, have hunted with @Game4Africa .
All the hunting reports are glowing testimonies to the professionalism of this outfit.

Looks like you’ve been around for almost a year but welcome and thanks for posting. Eager to see how the rest of your hunt goes! Don is a fun guy to hunt with-knowledgeable and great animal sense

On the third day we drove off looking for a Nyala or Kudu in their Woodvale concession.
After an hour or so we located a suitable Nyala. We were able to get closer to him, shooting sticks went up at 170 yards, shot and the Nyala ran about 10 yards and went down.
We loaded the Nyala into the cruiser and drove around looking for kudu, saw a couple of good kudus but were already running. Eventually we ran into, what I was told, was a huge duiker. Short stalk, shooting sticks came up at 163 yards. It end up measuring 5 1/2 ".

We drove around the rest of the day looking for Kudu but wasn't successful.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-28 at 11.13.21 AM.jpeg
IMG_8232.jpg

I've hunted with Wik in 2022, and he and his staff run an amazing outfit. My wife and I are heading back next year, with a friend and his wife. This is going to be their first safari. Great animals taken so far, please keep it coming.

Next morning we went to their mountain top concession. We spotted some cows at the top of a ridge but no bulls, at least we didn't see any. So we keep walking, after a while I turn my bino back to the cows just to find a bull. PH take a look and it's a go. We have to hike all the way back trying to not been seen. We are getting within 100 yards and a small bull jumps from about 20 yards from us, I think we are done, but we sprint into an opening an the bull is still there, slowly moving out. Shooting sticks go up, bull stops after a whistle, 7 mag does it's job at 80 yards. Kudu drops 10 yards from the shot and just shy of a big drop!.
The rest of the day we were looking for a bushbuck. Saw several females and a group of males and one female. She was obviously in heat, as the male kept chasing the smaller bulls out. Unfortunately couldn't get a shot, they were on thick cover and eventually stop moving.
I had the chance on a big warthog but he decided to leave as soon as I decided to take a shot!.

Next day we saw 15 bushbucks in the area, 12 females and 3 small bucks.

PHOTO-2024-05-26-11-37-17.jpg

On the next day we got off the Landcruiser to our first glassing spot. Don raises his binos on the very first stop just to see a mature bushbuck getting some sun!. We move closer get the stick up, unfortunately I start getting nervous, not sure why. First shot misses cleanly. But bushbuck didn't move. So I have time to fire a second time, this time is a hit (287 yards). He goes into the bush. We send the tracker and he founds blood but no bushbuck. We hiked up and down the hill, belly crawled on some thick stuff for the next 5 hours following barking sounds and blood trails. Well, following the tracker that was following blood/tracks. At the end I went with Don and the tracker went a little lower to try to keep the bushbuck in the area. We heard him very close to us, but not able to see him. We keep walking and Dan sees it, but I cannot make it. It's been a long 5 hours, so I handed the gun to Don to finish him off.
Very challenging hunt. Still cannot believe Simone (the tracker) was able to keep on the bushbuck track for 5 hours, sometimes following blood and sometimes just following tracks in such a heavy cover.
I'll just have to try another bushbuck on the next hunt.

After pictures and getting the animal out of there we proceed to drive to the opposite site of the property. To check on the big warthog. After an hour an a half of driving we get there. And the warthog is there. Get closer to the edge of cover, around 258 yards from the warthog. Shooting sticks go up, make a shot and the warthog drops on it's tracks. Confidence restored.

PHOTO-2024-05-28-11-13-19.jpg
PHOTO-2024-05-28-11-13-20.jpg

Last day we drove around another concessions that is closed by looking for big 5, but didn't see anything.
So in the afternoon I decided to go for one more animal. This time a cull impala.
We drove around looking for culls, and on the 3 or 4 stop we glass one in the distance. Got of the Landcruiser and closed the distance. Walk by a lot of buffalo sign and all sort of other PG animals. Eventually make it to the edge of a clearing. Shooting sticks went up, and I shot him at around 207 yards. He drop on it's tracks.

All in all a great hunt and experience. I will highly recommend game4africa to anybody interested in a Safari, South African style.
Food was great, company was great.

IMG_8454.jpg

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmellaX4

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!