SOUTH AFRICA: First Timers & KMG Hunting Safaris Didn't Disappoint

one66stang

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Three years ago, after going to our first DSC my wife made a comment that we should look at booking a hunt for my 50th birthday. I didn’t argue with her in the least. I spent most of that next year doing a ton of research and narrowed down a list of Outfitters based in large in part based off of recommendations on AH and from people I actually knew that had been. I met with everyone on the list and in the end, we really like Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris . So we booked a hunt and we just returned from our 7 day hunt. June 20-28 Our PH was Lloyd Freitag, and I could not have asked for a better hunt. It was much more than we ever had hoped. The Outspan lodge is set in the perfect spot and was a great place to return to every evening. Lloyd worked his butt off finding game and then getting my old broke down self where we needed to be to get the shots off.

I must say that the hunting was hard. Lots of hills in that part of the country and I think we went up most of them. Now I know. Next trip I will start the training a lot sooner lol. Its big country and we fell in love with it.

Marius was excellent at answering every question I had and in a timely manner. Never once made me feel dumb for asking.

We used African Skys for the layover and for rifle permits. That went off flawlessly. African Sky was a great place to start recovering from the plane ride. I will use them again also.

Any first timers want to chime in with questions I’d be happy to give you my perspective as a fresh first timer. AH really seems to have most of the answers if you just sort through enough.

Gun- Rem 700 300 Win, Factory 180gr ELDX. Nothing went further than 20 yards.

Zebra-186 yards off sticks

Bushbuck-306 yards prone of the bipod

Blesbok -158 yards off sticks

Wife/Impala -117 yards off sticks

Impala -151 yards off sticks

Kudu- 314 yards off sticks

I did have one miss on a Kudu at 180 yards off sticks.

I put that there as a reminder. Practice off the sticks. I shot a lot off of sticks before we made the trip and I really think it made a huge difference.

Anyways onto to pictures

Outspan.jpg
River.jpg
Zebra.jpg
SImpala.jpg
SBlesbok.jpg
kimpala.jpg
Bushbuck.jpg
Kudu.jpg
KuduTape.jpg

Attachments

• Mountian.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Mountian.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Man, KMG sure does put their clients on proper trophies. Congratulations on some great animals!

Man, KMG sure does put their clients on proper trophies. Congratulations on some great animals!
My PH LLoyd and listening to Nick and Marius in the evenings they are very consinuses of only taking mature animals. We glassed tons of animals that I would have been tickled pink to take and let them walk to mature. I am very impressed with the quality and game management practices they use.

Great! Thank You for sharing

Looks like you and your wife had a great hunt. Congrats. Some nice animals.
Bruce

Congratulations on your excellent quality trophies.
KMG are top-shelf, about to head back for round 5 myself.

Looks like a nice trip with some great trophys! Beautiful looking property.

Congrats and thanks for sharing! @KMG Hunting Safaris with another satisfied client, and rightfully so!

Congratulations! Now you can start planning your next safari.

Great trophies-that kudu has fantastic deep curls! Glad you had a good trip and thanks for the report

Sounds like an awesome first trip. Now you're hooked! Beautiful country you were in and it makes sense why the shots were longer than average. Interesting that you were able to shoot prone as well and that's the longest shot I've heard of for bushbuck! Mine recently was 20 yards and I couldn't even see most of him. Above average animals for sure. Well done.

Congrats on your first hunt. Fine trophies with very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Now you are hooked like the rest of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
van240784

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's