SOUTH AFRICA: First Safari With Bos en Dal SAFARIS

Days 10 and 11.
Miranda had wanted to hunt kudu and after seeing the one not quite ready male earlier in the hunt bec convinced she was not going to get a chance. The final 2 days were planned to hunt buffalo on a privately owned property with limited hunting about 45 minutes away. This large 8-10,000 acre farm is near appropriately named Koedoesfontein, Kudu Spring. We were up and away early with packed coolers. Arriving at the property we met the additional PHs who will be assisting us, Francois who lives on the farm, Louie and Frikkie. Louie, Frikkie and Rikus were getting additional days of DG hunting in order to meet requirements to hunt on their own. We all piled into one bakkie and head out in search of buffalo. Instead the bush had other plans. After about an hour or so, word came from the back Louie had spotted a kudu. Rikus and Miranda are out of the truck and on the stalk. We hear a shot, a loud thud and see the kudu run a few yards farther up the steep hill. He’s wobbly and a second shot sends him to the ground. Round of applause for my wife. We climb up the rock strewn hill 100-150 yards where we get a look at a truly magnificent animal.
854B0135-6877-4DAA-BB84-BD235EB58DDF.jpeg

Have to get some farm workers to bring out a large piece of canvas to slide the kudu safely down the hill. Louie had a measuring tape and it was a bit over 55 inches! Very proud of Miranda and her kudu.
A77A47A3-0AFE-44DF-A45E-B8DC53562D67.jpeg

After picnic lunch began hunting for buffalo. This turned out very differently than how it went in my dreams where it was always a nice easy stalk with a single shot and the buffalo goes down. Over the next day and a half we walked over 17 kilometers and did the equivalent of 146 flights of stairs, wife’s Apple Watch!

I missed a shot at a buffalo in dense cover and could not get a follow up as a second buffalo came on scene. The next 30 minutes was incredibly tense with 2 buffalo within 20-25 yards. Everyone was alert and all the PHs were calm. Not me I was very anxious and shocked I had missed. Eventually the buffaloes moved away and we could then look for blood but no a clean miss. Followed tracks but never close enough. Had to go back to lodge happy for my wife’s great kudu but feeling sorry I’d blown a chance for buffalo with only one day left.

Back next morning, Louie unavailable, but everyone else there. Start the search and find small herd of 4 bulls including the 2 from Day 10, 3 shooters. Begin the stalk up steep hill, only kind they have littered with rocks big and small. 30 minutes into the stalk and the young bull is making it impossible to get close enough to the others for a shot. Wind shifts and they are going, going gone! Take a break for lunch on the tailgate. Now the pressure is building, final hours of the final day!

Drive around to where Francois thinks they were headed and spot one of the 4. Stalk and he’s in cover not as dense as prior attempt but partially in shade. It’s amazing how difficult it is to see where to shoot. After coaching from Gerrit and Francois I fired and saw the buffalo immediately react to the impact. But he didn’t fall down like I envisioned, instead he began to run, I fired again and believe I hit him again. But he continued running another hundred yards until stopping but I can’t get a third shot away.

Thus began a 2 1/2 hour epic hunt for my buffalo. Lots of blood to follow and tracks occasionally in the sand showing a bad foreleg but the buffalo is a tough beast to kill. Someone said if you don’t make a good first shot, the next dozen just piss him off! We followed as quickly but cautiously as possible. Down a mountain, partway back up and then back down until finally found him bedded down in the shade. It took several more shots until we saw he was dead. I was emotional after this hunt, a magnificent animal was on the ground and I am proud of the trophy and the people that helped me accomplish my goal. Everything I’ve read on this forum about buffalo was correct. Amazing, exhilarating, exhausting, terrifying and incredibly difficult hunt. The PHs said their best buffalo hunt to date.

991CBA74-DE82-4DFC-8FDE-207A2113C706.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Buffalo Ken! You had a good team with you! I know that property well, it is as you say. Up and down, big and small rocks to boulders. But a great piece of property.

Congrats to your wife on an awesome Kudu

Thanks for a great report and congratulations to you both! Very nice trophies, great buff!, and that Kudu!..Wow!

Good looking bull @kdenn , way to work hard and get him in the salt.

You did it the hard way for sure. Glad it worked out in the end.

Thanks for sharing the family adventure. Congratulations on some nice trophies for you both.

Great family hunt with a very good buff to cap it, congrats :D Cheers:

Great report! Congrats on your outstanding trophies. That kudu was worth the wait!

Great buffalo and wonderful kudu!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeesaLague

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles