Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, RSA
2024 South African Family Safari

Outfitter: Wild Wildebeest Safaris, Tony DeBruyn
PH: Dawie Jacobs
Tracker: Rasta

Last year, my wife and I decided to take our family on an African safari. I generally travel alone for hunting, so this would be my first time taking my wife and daughter. My wife is not a hunter and my 15 year old daughter thankfully humors me by doing some occasional local hunting with me. She has been lucky enough to harvest 5 deer on one day deer hunts. She has also done a 3-day New Mexico Pronghorn hunt with me that she still describes as “very long.” Given these unique circumstances, I knew that I had to put together a safari that ensured everyone had experiences that they found fun and exciting.

Since I believe the best references are ones given by trusted colleagues, I contacted several friends that are regulars to the Dark Continent. From these, I spoke with several outstanding outfitters who I am sure would have all done a great job. I finally settled on Wild Wildebeest Safaris (WWS) with outfitter Tony DeBruyn. I was able to speak to Tony at length during a local get together hosted by a friend before the SCI show. He had excellent answers to all my questions and understood that I wanted to combine hunting and non-hunting activities to maximize our family experience.

Although sleeping in a wall tent in Alaska sounds perfectly reasonable to me, my wife believes a Holiday Inn is roughing it. In addition to their home camp, WWS has several different ranches they use for different hunts around South Africa. Tony sent me pictures of several camps and my wife and I agreed the camp in Limpopo would be an excellent choice for both hunting accommodations and proximity to other activities we wanted to do.

Days 1-2

We flew from Atlanta to Johannesburg on Delta mainly because it had the fewest connections from our home airport. My family has done several European and Central American flights previously, but 16 hours is a long flight for anyone no matter how you do it. We upgraded to Comfort+ and the extra room certainly helped my long legs. I am not sure it helped my 5’3” wife and daughter but it gave them more room for their stuff. After we landed and got through passport control, we were met by Dawie our gregarious PH who walked us to City Lodge. After we checked in, we went down to the restaurant, got a great dinner, and went back to the room to sleep.

Day 3

The next morning, we loaded up our luggage and set out for the lodge. The three hour drive to the Limpopo region was easy, pleasant and supported with healthy doses of biltong and Fanta. During the trip we discussed what types of hunting experiences and non-hunting experiences we hoped to have over the next week. Dawie our PH paid close attention and helped us put together a great gameplan. I told him our top animals were a kudu and sable for me and a zebra and wildebeest for my daughter. Additional animals were gametime decisions. I told him that I wanted to spot and stalk as much as feasible and possibly use blinds if needed for specific critters. As we were finishing up the conversation, my lovely daughter told Dawie that getting a zebra was the most important part of our safari and is the main reason she was there. I think he got the hint. When we arrived, the lodge was beautiful with a large central building and smaller buildings for each family. We were the only people in camp at that time. We got our luggage to our rooms, unpacked and went to the lodge for a delicious lunch.

After lunch, we went to the range to shoot the rifle. Because we were going to be traveling to a national park after hunting, I decided to not bring my own rifles and just rent one there. We shot our PH’s rifle which was a suppressed 30-06. When he pulled it out of the case, I initially thought it was a Winchester Model 70. However, upon further inspection it was a Musgrave which is a South African firearm company. The ammo were handloaded 165 g Hornady SST. Both my daughter and I shot groups less than an inch apart at 100 yards. We both agreed that his camo tape used to hide the shine of barrel did not do justice to such a spectacular gun. After shooting it for a week, I wish we could easily get Musgrave rifles in the USA.

After we shot the rifle from the bench, we practice a couple shots off Viper Flex Sticks. My daughter and I had practiced off a Bog-Pod tripod for the last month so this new-fangled contraption looked like a disaster waiting to happen. We were very wrong. If you haven’t shot from these before, you owe it to yourself to try them. The stability that they produce is amazing.

After our shooting practice, we decided to drive around the ranch to “see what we could find.” From my understanding, the ranch is traditional bushveld with dense thorny brush and some open high grass areas. That first night, we found three Giraffe, several kinds of Wildebeest, and a group of impala. We got out of the truck to look at the impalas more closely. There were several young rams and one larger one. Dawie sized him up and said the ram was a great one and that I should take it. About that time, the impalas decided to exit stage left. We headed off hiking after them and 20 minutes later we caught back up to them. Viper Sticks went down, the gun went up with the ram quartering to me at 70 yards. I placed the crosshairs halfway up the body on the front of the shoulder and squeezed the trigger the second he gave me the go ahead. I heard the sound of the impact and the ram ran to the left. We walked in his direction and found the blood trail. He laid about 30 yards ahead. The tracker, my wife and daughter arrived several minutes later in the Land Cruiser. If you know the relationship I have with my daughter, we constantly tease each other. When she walked up and saw the exit would at the bottom of the ribs she told me I shot too far back. Dawie rolled the over the impala and showed her an entry wound on the front of the shoulder and told her it was perfect. It was fun having someone else make my daughter eat crow. I have to complement our PH and tracker on the effort they put into great pictures throughout the trip. I admit that my understanding of iPhone pictures was point and shoot. Our PH, showed me that iPhone photos can be modified in all sorts of ways to enhance photo quality.

On the way home, we saw a large blue wildebeest bull. We hopped off the Land Cruiser and set off on the stalk. My wife came with us because she wanted to capture this moment on camera. We caught the wildebeest walking into a water hole. We got my daughter set up on the sticks but a tree was between her and the wildebeest. My wife decided she didn’t have a good angle to capture the moment on her camera decided to walk to our right, fully alerting the Wildebeest of our presence. He stood behind the tree for about 5 minutes before bolting away. Good learning lesson for all of us. That evening we returned to the lodge and ate an incredible dinner. We were introduced to Malva Pudding for dessert which we all thought was incredible.

Impala.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 4

The next morning we had a quick breakfast and headed out to hunt about an hour after sunrise. My daughter again reminded Dawie that finding a Zebra was her top priority. He reassured her that it was a priority for him as well. Right out of camp, we found a herd of Sable with one old bull. Dawie said he was a great one to take. We were off on the stalk. The Sable knew our intent and the large bull slid behind a tree and disappeared. We followed for about 15 minutes until his tracks entered the thick brush. Walking back to the Land Cruiser, Dawie spotted a kudu bull not 50 yards from us. While he was an immature bull, I still got to watch him stealthily move through the brush. Even when I could see his horns, I was amazed at how easily his body blended into the landscape. The title of the gray ghost is indeed well earned.

We drove around for a while before we saw a group of zebras. They were skittish, running at first sight of the vehicle. We eventually saw a black impala ram that looked fantastic. My daughter told me that she would like to shoot one of those and I agreed to it. Off we went a 2 hour hike where we would see the impala and just when we would set up they were off again. Finally, we made our way back to one of the roads and found a herd of wildebeest. Dawie said the golden wildebeest on the right was an old bull. My daughter said she was interest so we went ahead and set her up to shoot. The wind was perfect and the wildebeest did not know we were there. The golden wildebeest was standing quartering to her at 100 yards. She set up on the viper sticks, found him, and squeezed the trigger. He immediately fell to the ground. We hurried over and my daughter put in one more shot for insurance and it was done. She had harvested her first animal in Africa, an incredible golden wildebeest bull. She was beaming with excitement and pride. These are moments I live for as a parent.

Golden wildebeest.jpg

After loading up the wildebeest, we headed back to the lodge for an excellent lunch. We decided to catch a quick nap and headed back out around 3 pm. Dawie had talked to one of the ranch employees and he said the sable liked to come in and water in the early evenings. We exited the truck about one half mile from a watering hole and began our stalk. When we got to about 300 yards, we sat and waited. About an hour later the sable started to walk in. We identified a good mature bull with great horns. We snuck in to about 200 yards. The shooting sticks went up, I found him in the scope. Another quartering to shot, the shot felt great and we heard bullet impact. The bull immediately ran into the thickest brush on the ranch. We walked to where the bull had been standing. Steady blood was leading into the brush. We found him about 10 minutes later about 75 yards into the deep brush. I had no idea how we were going to get him out because the brush was so thick. Little did I know how versatile a winch and rope extension from the Land Cruiser was. Twenty minutes later my trophy was pulled out of the bush. I had never seen a sable up close prior to this point. He was an amazing animal and the mass of his bases was incredible. I am very thankful for this experience that I got to share with my wife and daughter. It was getting dark when we finished pictures, so we headed back to the lodge. That night we had a wonderful dinner of fat wrapped lamb meatballs and the most amazing candied carrots. I was also introduced to Castle Light beer which was excellent.

Sable.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephanyEa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available