SOUTH AFRICA: Deflowering The .505 With DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS (Special Guest Spike T)

It was definitely an all hands on deck situation. I wasn't particularly worried about my own hunt as I really wanted to help my friend find his bull. And it was an adventure. Along the way, we saw some of my favorite wildlife.
1722566451008.jpeg

The one thing that I can say is that the search was relentless and exhausting. On Day Four, we brought Skinner John out to assist.
1722566571862.jpeg

The Johns went ahead with a radio followed the tracks. It should be mentioned that by this time there was no blood. Tracker John had to find and follow tracks based purely on his memory of particular characteristics of the bull. It should be mentioned that the trio would get close to the bull and bump him. He would take off and put distance between Dave, Mani and John. This happened several times over the course of three days.

DAY FIVE:
Tracker John led Dave and Mani to the bull in a thick brush hunting block. The bull had not eaten or drank in three days that John could see. We would eventually find out why. Mani dropped the bull with a single round at approximately 75 yards. Keenan, Mike, Sergio and myself were in the area and immediately moved to the scene. After winding our way through the brush, we caught up to Tracker John, Dave and Mani. And one very dead old bull. I can only guess at the relief that Mani felt now that it was over.

If you want to hear additional details of Mani's hunt, ask him at DSC. He says that he intends to go next year when it is in Atlanta. He'll be the guy in the neon slacks.
1722567423928.jpeg

1722567480498.jpeg

1722567527638.jpeg

1722567622071.jpeg

Now, the fight was going to be getting the bull out of the brush. Fortunately, Dave was able to summon workers and they began a full-on excavation of the brush so Keenan could bring the truck in. It took a while.
1722567779770.jpeg

Skinner John would recover Mani's TSX. Mani's hit had gone low in the chest, traversed most of the body and buried deeply in the intestines of the bull. His Cutting Edge Solid had grazed the surface of the hide in what would have been a perfect lung hit if it had been higher.
We all breathed a sigh of relief. Nobody wants to wound and animal. Thankfully, that situation was now finished.

Great bull! Sounds like several sleepless nights for sure....Congratulations @norfolk shooter

That night, we celebrated. The scene looked much like the victory feast at Winterfell Castle after the Army of the dead had been defeated and Arya killed the Night King. Some of you will get this reference. Much alcohol was consumed. Songs were sang. Stories were told. Having said that, it was kind of disappointing when Keenan told Sergio just how well-behaved we were.

DAY SIX: It was now time to hunt for my Cape Buffalo. Keep in mind, this was an eight day hunt. And yet, I didn't find myself worrying. In May 2022, I had finally dropped a bull on the seventh day of an eight day hunt with KMG. I won't say I believe in serendipity, but I kind of do. We followed tracks and got close only to have the Buffalo wind us and take off. However, this was the hunt I had wanted.

DAY SEVEN:
This was largely a replay of the sixth day. Long stalks and frustration. At lunch, I proposed a plan. Let's stay out longer and move on a waterhole. We knew Buffalo came into the water near or immediately after sunset. Dave was willing to give it a try.

In the LATE afternoon, our motley crew made our way through the brush towards a waterhole. Dave and I went ahead. We angled along the track leading into the waterhole when we saw a decent bull. Dave stealthily placed my sticks and I mounted them. The bull saw us and went out of sight to the right. Moments later, he came back. In actuality, it was a different bull. The bull presented a good broadside shot. Dave whispered, "It's 100 yards". I replied, "I'm good". I had zeroed at 100 years and felt confident. In the waning light, I acquired a decent sight picture but a little high on the shoulder. BOOM! I heard the thud of the round hitting. I immediately cycled the bolt and chambered a Barnes Banded Solid. I cycle from the shoulder but when I looked through the scope again, the bull was exiting stage left at a high rate of speed. Great. We're going to have to dig him out of the brush.

With tracker John leading the way, Dave and then I followed behind. I had topped off and was ready. However, I was making calculations. Diminishing light, thick brush, and angry wounded bull? Yeah, this is bad.

When the hell did it get so dark this fast?!

At this point, Dave deployed a thermal. After several minutes of searching, John advised Dave who told me that the bull was dead. I then saw that the bull was down. I asked Dave if he wanted an insurance shot. He replied, "He's upside down. he's dead". And it was with great relief that I realized my Cape Buffalo hunt was successfully concluded.
1722570084422.jpeg

1722570124331.jpeg

1722570193390.jpeg

It was a larger bull than I thought I would ever shoot. We took photos, breathed another sigh of relief and then wondered how we were going to get him out of there. He had traveled approximately 60 yards from the hit. My shot was about four inches high, but took out the lungs.

Once again, the industrial gardening crew came in and cleared brush for the truck to make it in. While standing out on the two track, Mani and I played with his thermal and spotted another bull about 200 yards away deeply interested in whatever we were doing.

1722570574259.jpeg

After getting my bull to the skinning shed, we went to the lodge. We celebrated, but it was more subdued. We only had one more day and then back to our lives in the US and UK.

Last edited:
WOW :D Beers: Dang! Brother that bull is a superstud!

The next morning, I talked to Dave. The plan had been to go to TweeRivier to hunt Limpopo Bushbuck. We clearly didn't have time. After shooting the Zebra and using part of the Bushbuck trophy fee to cover that, I still had a decent amount of money left over. I asked Dave what he had for culling. He said that he had Yellow Blesbok. He worked up a price and we realized that we could hunt four. I told him that Mani would get one, Sergio would get one and I would hunt two.
Dave said something interesting. "Blesbok die in a Leopard's mouth". It struck me as significant. I worked it into a conversation with co-workers when I got back to Vegas.

After breakfast, we set out. Dave and I exited the truck and moved on the first Blesbok of my hunt. I'm guessing the yardage, but I think it was close to 200. I mounted the sticks and sent the 190-grain CX into the heart/lung area. The Blesbok dropped. Our group converged, high fived, took pictures and loaded the Blesbok.
1722571353479.jpeg

Fortunately, this was a large mostly open area. Dave and I moved on and encountered another Blesbok. I believe he was about 150 yards. One shot and he was down.
1722571562156.jpeg

It then was Mani's turn. Mani's rifle is a Sako 85 7x64 customized by Callum Fergison.
I have asked Mani to post pictures of the Blesbok that he and Sergio shot. I don't know why I didn't take pictures.
Mani slapped a Blesbok to the ground and then Sergio used his rifle to follow suit.
This all took too little time so I proposed that I would purchase and Impala tag for Sergio to kill some time and let him try for a non-cull trophy. Dave and he made numerous stalks, but the hunting Gods were not smiling on us that day.

During the later afternoon, we went to the area by the river separating Dave's farm from Botswana. There is no water at the moment. Mani got to shoot Mike's .500J and I got to shoot Mani's .505 Gibbs. Sergio shot my humble .416 Ruger with and then without the muzzle brake. He noticed the difference. Mani shot it as well. I asked Dave and Mike if they wanted to, but they are too cool for small calibers.
Ask me about this picture if you see me at DSC. Yes, there is a story.
1722572223407.jpeg

1722572305257.jpeg

The end came for our last hunting day. It had been an adventure. We stopped by the skinning shed to take some photos. Skinner John had recovered my Swift A-frame.
1722572010994.jpeg

The three of us took a group photo with our notable trophies. We're hoping that Sergio will do this again.
1722572425335.jpeg

Mani and I recreated a photo from early 2022.
1722572483745.jpeg

1722572523882.jpeg

What is it like to hunt with us? I'd say we're fun. We TRY not to make the outfitter or staff crazy. I'm not saying that doesn't happen.
OUTTAKES, BLOOPERS, ETC
1722572702304.jpeg

1722572732730.jpeg

Mani asked me to pick up some leaf chewing tobacco for him. I got an assortment.
1722572807951.jpeg

Last edited:
Dave got us safely back to JNB and I met up with Mr. X who assisted me getting my rifles checked in. I bid farewell to Mani and Sergio as they made their way home on an earlier flight. I picked up more stuffed animals for my granddaughters at Out of Africa Kids. Since I started this, I find a carved wooden animal for any new member of the staff I work with. The Law Clerk changes every year. I found a Cape Buffalo for him as his spirit animal. Mostly this is based on his football highlight video and his tendency to ram his head into stuff. I followed my ritual of getting South African wine at the Duty free shop and then went to the Pizza place in the international terminal.
1722573360937.jpeg

My flight home was uneventful and I landed to the high heat of Vegas. Doc from previous hunt reports was there to pick me up. While he was waiting for me, he ran into my mother's cousin who was returning from Europe. He gave both of us a ride home.

And that concludes this hunt report. I hope Mani adds a few pictures that I know he has. It was fantastic to hunt with my friend for the third time and to meet his nephew Sergio and to start him on the path of a hunter.

What kind of world would it be without adventurers like Spike T? I am thankful to call him my friend.

It was great to be around Keenan as an apprentice PH. He has chosen the best to learn from and he will be amazing in the future.

Dave's staff take care of everything. His chef Hendrik stands out as one of the best.

@DAVE FREEBURN SAFARIS is absolutely fantastic. Dave's diligence and hard work made a tough hunt successful and left us with great memories. Mani and I are already talking about hunting with him again. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to hunt Cape Buffalo in South Africa. He put up with a lot. I can promise you that you will have a great hunt with Dave. I just can't promise you'll have @spike.t .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamiraPara

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?