Alan D P

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life, NRA Life, DSC, KCSCI, KSRA
I recently hunted cape buffalo with @MATTANJA HUNTING SAFARIS, PH Dieter Prinsloo. My hunt was very successful by day four. PH Dieter is very selective in choosing a bull to harvest. He insists on an "old" bull no longer with the herd, those past breeding dominance and therefore, hanging out alone or with other bulls in that class. I learned that type of pursuit is preferable for ethics and conservation, plus a hunter can be proud to have taken an old surviving warrior. Width and configuration of the horns never overrides hunting and taking the oldest duggaboy you can find!

I would highly recommend Mattanja Safaris and PH Dieter Prinsloo for an excellent cape buff bull hunt. Dieter is among the best PH's I've ever hunted with! I need say no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Sounds like a fantastic hunt

Got any pictures?

Dieter is a great PH and it sounds like you had a nice hunt. If you need help posting photos, we can help. I look forward to hunting with Dieter again late Oct this year.

Congratulations. I do want to see that Buffalo!

Sorry I failed to a post photo to accompany my message about hunting with Dieter Prinsloo, Mattanja Safaris.
20240625_103337.jpg

Excellent bull...old bosses with a lot of character! Congrats on a nice buff!

Were you hunting in one of the Legat areas where Kruger is mandating only 36" and under, mature bulls be taken? It's of no consequence to your hunt but interested if that is still the going practice in those areas.

Thanks for the report

Were you hunting in one of the Legat areas where Kruger is mandating only 36" and under, mature bulls be taken? It's of no consequence to your hunt but interested if that is still the going practice in those areas.

Thanks for the report
No, I didn't hunt inside Kruger, but adjacent to Greater Kruger. No size restriction where I hunted, but saw few bulls with fully hard bosses.

Can you tell us a bit more... How big was the property? Was it High-Fenced?
I haven't seen any area in S.A. that's not fenced in some fashion. That said, I now accept the fact that hunting a [i.e. 10,000 acre] high-fenced property is free-roaming and the animals have the same advantage as in "no-fence" property, if there is such. Even Greater Kruger's vast 8,000 sq. mi. area has exterior fencing. My thoughts and hunt criteria...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pedro villarreal