SOUTH AFRICA: Buffalo With Craig Boddington

Thank you. I feel the same...very fortunate to take that sable.

Good question on Boddington. He setup 4 weeks in a row with a different hunter each week...he was an observer during each hunt. He did take a buff for himself a few days before I got there. He told me it was about 1/3 smaller than my buff. Craig is easy to be around and is not distracting or hogging the attention. He was there to connect with me and it was very comfortable having him on the hunt. It was fun having him on the tracking, glassing, recovery, etc. He carried his double when we were hunting buff but otherwise, he was carrying a camera and it seemed like he's as into Africa as ever. I was kind of blown away by his feelings about the animals we took together. He was over the moon with his compliments on these amazing animals. Pretty cool. I personally think he should do more of this with his readers and impart more of his wisdom/experience in his later years. He's early 70's now and talking about hunting less. I will be hunting with him on his farm in KS this fall for deer and looking forward to that.

I am never one to grab a tape measure but the PH tells the tracker to go get the tape from the bakkie and he runs off to get it. I look at Craig and the PH and they are shaking their heads slowly. I break the silence and say I don't know what I'm looking at here...he's huge...I've never seen one this big. Craig says very slowly, "I have NEVER seen one this big either." The tape measure arrives and I stand back while Craig and Chico take some measurements....11" bases...48.5" length.

View attachment 621569
Beautiful sable! That is awesome! I have seen bigger, but the bigger ones I have seen all had rubber stoppers on the ends of their horns with a harem of cows to breed. :).

I was sorry to break the trailer but the PH was more amazed than irritated by it. Craig's statement was what Ruark really meant to say was "use enough trailer".
Made me laugh! That trailer looks a bit small for a huge bovine.

Lots of good roasts, meat for some biltong, and ground meat to feed a lot of Africans.

To begin with, heartfelt congratulations Green Chile! I am so happy for you, and I really mean it.

Amazing Buffalo and Sable indeed. All I can add is that I wish, without jealousy, that they were mine... :)

A quick reaction to the following two posts:
I read in one of his books that he’s a big fan. But hearing that directly from him in person holds even more water.
That 416 R8 should be perfect. I’m about 90% sure that’s what I’m taking to Zim next year for Ele and Buffalo.

The one thing I keep considering is do I go bigger for ele on the R8...to 458 Lott. I know personally the 416 does just fine on ele but a bigger bullet doesn't hurt. I own several 458 Lotts but not in the R8 platform yet. I'm not a small bore guy for DG anyway. I do look forward to using the R8 416 for buff and lion in Nov. One thing about the R8 that I look forward to is having a smaller gun case. I'm tired of dragging the Tuffpak all over creation. I had to get it in a helicopter last year in Africa and it almost didn't fit!

There is no question whatsoever that the .416 Rem will be a near-perfect killer on Buffalo and Elephant.

But, for what it is worth, my own path has been to skip the .416 Rem and go for the .458 Lott. Why?

KO factor

I subscribe to the commonly held thought that the role of a client and the role of a PH are not to be confused, hence the need for a stopping caliber may not be as relevant for a client. However, every year it seems we hear a handful of documented reports when the client had to shoot in self defense, and even occasionally when the client had to shoot to save the PH, or in the worst cases, after the PH was killed or badly mauled. It is rare indeed, but it does happen. This is factual.

From this perspective, there is no arguing that the .458 Lott is a better choice than the .416 Rem.

I am not aware of too many modern folks having more experience than John Howard "Pondoro" Taylor and I see little rationale for questioning his conclusions, shared, it must be noted, by a comfortable majority of "White Hunters" of lore. In John Taylor's parlance's the baseline for stopping power is around ~70 KO. The .458 Lott / 500 gr meets the requirement. The .416 Rem / 400 gr does not (~55 KO).

Pressure

While still not meeting the required KO, the .416 Rem meets the .416 Rigby power in a much smaller case, but only at the price of a much higher pressure.

It is rumored that most ammunition manufacturers have quietly reduced their initial .416 Rem loads after repeated issues of over-pressure events and stuck actions in Africa. Whether this is true or not I cannot say, but it would make sense for them to have done so, as it is factual that the .416 Rem has been (and can still be?) sticky in Africa, even in factory loads.

To each our own, and I do not have advices to give to either of you :) but there you have it, the two rational reasons why I chose the .458 Lott over the .416 Rem. We will likely never need to shoot to stop, and we may never experience a stuck case on the Elephant of Buffalo spoor, but if we do............

By the way, as you already know, I cannot be more supportive of the "small" Pelican 1700 for a 3 calibers, airlines compliant <62" and <50 lbs., Blaser solution.

Pelican 1700 with Blaser R8 & 3 barrels & 3 scopes (bis).jpg

As to which stock to bring, steel insert or alloy insert, or both, I have come to only bring one stock, the steel insert one. It soaks up recoil on the .458 Lott, and it does not bother me to have an additional Lb. on my shoulder with the other calibers. Besides, it makes the .257 Wby virtually recoil free, hence a surgical-precision tool, and whether the third caliber is .375 H&H (cats / eland) or .300 Wby (larger PG), it makes them both a joy to shoot.

You guys enjoy your hunts, I wish I could go this year, but it is not in the cards :cry:

Last edited:
I always love your posts...factual not emotional...solid data...practical and scientific. Love it.

I experiment somewhat as I go...maybe more than I should but it's how I learn as well. I'm also well read and know there are many who will always have more experience than me and I don't want to reinvent the wheel...no need for that. I know the 375 can do it...and I've been there and got the t-shirt. It's lighter than I prefer for buff and ele, which are my fav species to hunt. 416 is better and still suitable for PG and that's no small consideration. I shoot 416 Ruger, Rigby and Rem mag...even 500/416 in a double. I like the caliber.

I also do not load any of my ammo to the redline...it's just foolish and doesn't gain you anything but might put your butt in a real sling of hurt someday. I'm not likely to be the guy having pressure issues with my 416 handloads. I run them a little slower. I also like the idea that whatever gun I'm carrying can take care of whatever I run into or Africa offers up...tiny 10? Got it. DG...got it. There are compromises here of course.

It's a whole different game when you go after ele. I think differently when they are on the menu. I take ele very seriously. Buff are big cattle...no disrespect it's just what they are. If you screw up, they WILL hammer you but most of the time it's not that hard. Ele are totally different. In ideal scenarios, 416 does just fine for me on ele. When it gets crappy, 416 feels a little light and I look at big bore doubles or big bore bolt guns. I've gone ultra heavy to 500 Jefferies, 500 nitros, etc and that's one way to dig out of it. I'm sliding back a bit in my thinking to something like the 458 Lott. That's just where I'm at right now. These are really personal decisions for all of us that get in there close to big DG and rinse and repeat. Do it once and it's whatever. Do it over and over and your thinking can change. Just my .02

On the R8 subject...I love that the platform can do anything. I don't like the idea of having one action that I will change barrels on for this or that opportunity. You go out for duiker and you find a killer waterbuck. You are looking for sable and the DG comes out. I do like the idea of having 2 guns setup differently...one for PG and one for DG. To my way of thinking, I'm getting pretty happy with the idea of having two R8's...one setup for DG and one for PG...and maybe even a 3rd barrel for some specialty like long shots in the mountains on Vaal Reebok or night shoots on little critters and cats or whatever. You get my point.

After my first Tuskless hunt and being in thick brush. No where to run. And if they come for you there is not time for small bullets to work by hemorrhage. I am a firm believer in taking more horsepower than you think you need.

You won’t feel the recoil when you shoot

I always love your posts...factual not emotional...solid data...practical and scientific. Love it.

I experiment somewhat as I go...maybe more than I should but it's how I learn as well. I'm also well read and know there are many who will always have more experience than me and I don't want to reinvent the wheel...no need for that. I know the 375 can do it...and I've been there and got the t-shirt. It's lighter than I prefer for buff and ele, which are my fav species to hunt. 416 is better and still suitable for PG and that's no small consideration. I shoot 416 Ruger, Rigby and Rem mag...even 500/416 in a double. I like the caliber.

I also do not load any of my ammo to the redline...it's just foolish and doesn't gain you anything but might put your butt in a real sling of hurt someday. I'm not likely to be the guy having pressure issues with my 416 handloads. I run them a little slower. I also like the idea that whatever gun I'm carrying can take care of whatever I run into or Africa offers up...tiny 10? Got it. DG...got it. There are compromises here of course.

It's a whole different game when you go after ele. I think differently when they are on the menu. I take ele very seriously. Buff are big cattle...no disrespect it's just what they are. If you screw up, they WILL hammer you but most of the time it's not that hard. Ele are totally different. In ideal scenarios, 416 does just fine for me on ele. When it gets crappy, 416 feels a little light and I look at big bore doubles or big bore bolt guns. I've gone ultra heavy to 500 Jefferies, 500 nitros, etc and that's one way to dig out of it. I'm sliding back a bit in my thinking to something like the 458 Lott. That's just where I'm at right now. These are really personal decisions for all of us that get in there close to big DG and rinse and repeat. Do it once and it's whatever. Do it over and over and your thinking can change. Just my .02

On the R8 subject...I love that the platform can do anything. I don't like the idea of having one action that I will change barrels on for this or that opportunity. You go out for duiker and you find a killer waterbuck. You are looking for sable and the DG comes out. I do like the idea of having 2 guns setup differently...one for PG and one for DG. To my way of thinking, I'm getting pretty happy with the idea of having two R8's...one setup for DG and one for PG...and maybe even a 3rd barrel for some specialty like long shots in the mountains on Vaal Reebok or night shoots on little critters and cats or whatever. You get my point.

100% agreed on all the above, especially the false promises of red-hot loads :)

As to the .500s, you are more man than I am, these (except the .500 NE which is mild) are just too much fun for me :E Lol:

The way it works for me is that the .458 Lott too shoots flat enough to 200 yards so that if I bump into the "next world-record three-toed unicorn" (© Boddington) while on the DG trail I can take the shot. But this remains a hypothetical... :E Rofl:

To each our own, but I have not yet bumped into something good enough to persuade me to shoot while on the Buffalo or Elephant spoor. Admittedly, if I met your sable's identical twin brother, I WOULD take the shot and run the risk of spooking a Buff I may not yet have seen 100 yards ahead down the trail ;)

The more practical application of the Lott on PG is to bag a young imp[ala for the pot (I love fresh grilled impala liver!) on the way back to camp, or to put out of its misery an old warthog for bait after a lost Buffalo or Elephant track.

When I have DG and PG on the license, I always start with DG. I think that we all do. So chances for me to have the .257 Wby pipe on and bump into a DG that I can legally take are about zero: if my PG barrel is on, it means that my DG is in the salt.

I do not change barrels willy-nilly in the field. I only do when the safari shifts from DG to PG, or, for example, from monster Kudu one day to Vaal Rhebok the next. As to "duiker to waterbuck", or any PG combination, the .257 Wby takes care of everything. In truth it is the barrel I use the most. I DO put the .300 Wby barrel on for dedicated monster Kudu, but I have already used the .257 Wby with amazing results on Wildebeest and even Roan. This is in line with the exceptional reputation for killing way out of its weight-class that it has built on Elk in the US (although I do use the .300 on Elk...).

Last edited:
After my first Tuskless hunt and being in thick brush. No where to run. And if they come for you there is not time for small bullets to work by hemorrhage. I am a firm believer in taking more horsepower than you think you need.

You won’t feel the recoil when you shoot

Took my 458Lott barrel and 375H&H barrel this trip. I never mounted the 375H&H. I would have taken it on two different occasions. I just took the 458Lott because it was set up. Have shot it at 200 yards, was comfortable with that distance.

It is a fine line of balance that is for sure.

This was also my first time taking the 1700 cases. One for my R8 the other for my wife's rifle. It was much more enjoyable moving those cases around.

Awesome report! Awesome animals! Congratulations! Looking forward to the rest of the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandySomme