SOUTH AFRICA: Buffalo With Craig Boddington

@Green Chile , what does Craig have to say about the R8? Great report so far BTW!
That's a great question. First of all, he was really jazzed that I brought the Dakota 416. He shot it and enjoyed the rifle. When I pulled out the Blaser at the sight in bench, he said well ok! I said yea I've been reading your writings about it and do you still like the R8? He said I like it so much that it's the main rifle that I use and then I had to get one for Donna (wife). We talked about the R8 throughout the week and he feels it's just a really smart system. He has never had a QD scope mount lose zero. That's impressive. When I shot the waterbuck and reloaded so fast for the 2nd shot, he commented on that. He said you can't reload faster than what you just did! By the way, I'm taking your steel R8 416 to Africa this fall for buff and the lighter R8 for PG.

Wonderful 'hunt report' and photos. This is really the new hunting sport journalism-'hunt report' doesnt quite do it justice-with excellent writing 'craft' techniques, notable companions to include both CB and the tracker who I interpretted said a small prayer or farewell over the one animal (his name we should know), and game and accomodations of which to dream. A real gentleman to take the time to give us his story and reflections and answer questions along the way. High standards at AH. I will be the one to say what every AH member who is following this is thinking--'green chile' needs to change his AH name to 'Broke Trailer.'

That's a great question. First of all, he was really jazzed that I brought the Dakota 416. He shot it and enjoyed the rifle. When I pulled out the Blaser at the sight in bench, he said well ok! I said yea I've been reading your writings about it and do you still like the R8? He said I like it so much that it's the main rifle that I use and then I had to get one for Donna (wife). We talked about the R8 throughout the week and he feels it's just a really smart system. He has never had a QD scope mount lose zero. That's impressive. When I shot the waterbuck and reloaded so fast for the 2nd shot, he commented on that. He said you can't reload faster than what you just did! By the way, I'm taking your steel R8 416 to Africa this fall for buff and the lighter R8 for PG.
I read in one of his books that he’s a big fan. But hearing that directly from him in person holds even more water.
That 416 R8 should be perfect. I’m about 90% sure that’s what I’m taking to Zim next year for Ele and Buffalo.

Wonderful 'hunt report' and photos. This is really the new hunting sport journalism-'hunt report' doesnt quite do it justice-with excellent writing 'craft' techniques, notable companions to include both CB and the tracker who I interpretted said a small prayer or farewell over the one animal (his name we should know), and game and accomodations of which to dream. A real gentleman to take the time to give us his story and reflections and answer questions along the way. High standards at AH. I will be the one to say what every AH member who is following this is thinking--'green chile' needs to change his AH name to 'Broke Trailer.'
Thanks for the compliments. I do try to write in an interesting, informative fashion. If you go back to my leopard hunt report, you will find a documentary style to help others understand baiting and the process of getting a cat to stand where you want it to, etc. Bear hunt in Canada...same thing. I hope the writing is interesting and helpful to others. I approach all of my 'hunt reports' with that in mind and sharing lessons learned...the good, the bad and the ugly.

I read in one of his books that he’s a big fan. But hearing that directly from him in person holds even more water.
That 416 R8 should be perfect. I’m about 90% sure that’s what I’m taking to Zim next year for Ele and Buffalo.
The one thing I keep considering is do I go bigger for ele on the R8...to 458 Lott. I know personally the 416 does just fine on ele but a bigger bullet doesn't hurt. I own several 458 Lotts but not in the R8 platform yet. I'm not a small bore guy for DG anyway. I do look forward to using the R8 416 for buff and lion in Nov. One thing about the R8 that I look forward to is having a smaller gun case. I'm tired of dragging the Tuffpak all over creation. I had to get it in a helicopter last year in Africa and it almost didn't fit!

Love the sable. The kudu bull is really nice. Not so deep on the curls, but height for days. I'd say high 50s, maybe 58".

Great writeup, and fantastic bushbuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
istonecare

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's