SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Farther/Daughter Bowhunt In Limpopo

Day 6 the last day of our hunt found us back at the place where we have had the most success. Sara is in the blind I killed the kudu and I’m in the one she’s shot the gemsbok and eland and I had the bad luck on the warthogs. We hadn’t been in the blind for more than 5 minutes and the amount of animals in front of us is unreal. I’ve never seen anything like it. There was eland, gemsbok, warthogs, wildebeest, monkeys, and kudu all in the feed/water. If we had wanted to shoot something it wouldn’t have been possible without passing through and hitting something else. At one point I’m pretty sure I could have grabbed an eland leg. There had to be 40-50 animals. We watch the circus for an hour of so and it has calmed down some. We see a good warthog on the far side of the water hole but just won’t come in and beds down. When it gets up I’m watching it through my binoculars and see a X on its left leg. It’s the pig I shot on the first day. The left and right was perfect and if it was 1-2” higher the pig would have been dead inside a hundred yard. It finally wanders off and never offers a shot. A little while later some more pigs come in and there is a big female in the group. We get to looking and can see a spot high on its shoulder. It’s the second pig I had shot on the first day. It comes straight in to the left side of the blind to 14 yard. This time the shot is on the money and the warthog makes it 30 yard and piles up in a cloud of dust.

IMG_4516.jpeg

The top hole is the entrance from the first day and the lower hole is the exit from the arrow that killed it.
IMG_3688.jpeg

While we where getting second chance opportunities on the warthogs Sara had some coming into there blind. Once again she make a perfect shot and the pig is dead in less than 50 yards. Sara at this point has impressed all the PH’s with her patients and her shooting ability. I’m very proud of her growing into a killer.

c91d5c0a-f1ef-4519-92bd-510e7a95d600.jpeg
2815d455-12cf-449b-9ed0-7e4915ba6361.jpeg

After the pics and the tracker leaves with my pig we Divan and I get back into the blind. We have a little lunch and a Castle Lite and kickback to enjoy the last little bit of my first safari in Africa. Divan decided that he needed to double check for holes in his eyelids and I just soaked everything in not wanting it to end. I’m not even sure where he came from but I look up and there is a giant impala at the water. I wake Divan up saying big impala. He get the camera on and I’m already at full draw. The impala is slightly quartering away when I release the arrow. The arrow goes in and destroys the off side shoulder, he jumps high and lands onto the concrete water trough and in a splash of water and a cloud of dust he is down in about 40 yards.

IMG_4534.jpeg
IMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4559.jpeg

When the tracker gets there Pressmore the tracker just keeps saying “Big,very Big”. The plan was to have everything Sara and I killed just to be euro mounted and have the skins tanned. The trackers would ask when we were loading animals up how we want them done. On this one Pressmore told me he was making the decision on this one and it has to be shoulder mounted. We laugh and I say sure but he has to tell my wife. HAHA. Ryno measured it when we where back at the lodge and said it would make Roland and Ward.

Well this bring us to the end of our safari and we have 2 day of touring around. I’ll do a post on it and my final thoughts on this adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia