SOUTH AFRICA: Bos en Dal SAFARIS #6

Here is a pic I took. Do you see him?
I know it's not great pic, but was a great animal to see.
IMG_8333.jpg

There is a 20lb (estimated) bull elephant in there.

What will sometimes impress you and sometimes scare you is how an ele skin can look like whatever ground it's on. I've had that happen to me many times and it makes you wonder how many times you went past one without knowing it. Also, how silent they can be even when moving...they are ninjas.

6/24
Usual morning, up at 5am gone by 6:30.
Today loaded up 375 and 458 Lott. We are concentrating on finding buffalo. I plan on taking advantage of Gerrit's special on buff cows. We have not seen any so far but today we started covering the property. Hunting buff here is challenging. The rolling thick terrain and two mountains and valley in back of place. By lunch we had seen a lot of game. Kudu, Impala, Blesbuck, Sable, wildebeest, Nyala but no buffalo. We took a break about 11 and went in for lunch and headed back out around 2pm. About 4pm we spotted a good size herd of wildebeest. Made a stalk in on them. Gerrit picked out a bull he wanted removed from herd. He was facing us at about 90 yards. I was packing the 375HH this time. Decided on a frontal shot, but he quartered just a bit so went to the front of the right shoulder. As shot went it looked like he swung his head to lick himself. We could tell he was hit, but was a cloud of dust drone the rest of the herd taking off. When we reached the spot he was standing there was blood but also pieces of horn!! Started following blood and tracks. He went about 70 yards. How I don't know. There was a big chunk of right horn missing and a bullet hole in front shoulder. He was pretty messed up and only took a pic of him laying as we found him.
IMG_8386.jpg

Called Robert and guys to come get him so we could continue on looking for buffalo. We finally found a herd of 25-30 Buffalo but it was already after 5:00pm when we did and sun was setting. Just not enough time to do anything with them and make a stalk. So we headed back to camp. On way in from the back area of the property I started feeling ill. Up to this point I had been pushing pretty hard and not sleeping well. We hit camp and I went showered ate just a small bite of dinner and went bed by 7:30.

6/25
Up at 5 like always. Felt great had a good nights sleep finally. We headed back out looking for buffalo. Found a small herd and looked them over from a distance, they were in a fairly open area. Decided to make a stalk in on them and try for one of the cows. We had closed distance to about 100 yards and like usual the crazy winds we had been having swapped direction and they were gone. They didn't go far but went into some thick bush. We got wind right and started again. We were in some really thick stuff. You could hear them but not see them. They were less than 50 yards but you couldn't see them.
Then like has happened before the wind swirled and they were gone. This time we could here them go up hill and over the top. We decided head in for early lunch about 11 am. Gerrit was leaving for the afternoon to take care of some stuff in town and would be just me and Rikus this afternoon. We left about 1:00 I wanted go by range and double check 300 and 375 as we had been bouncing around a good bit the last couple days. Both were still on sight. We started back looking for the buff. Found some zebra and made a stalk on them and as usual the dang wind switched and blew that stalk. Wind had been crazy last couple days. Swirling and swapping directions in the valley and hills. We did find buffalo 2 more times and made stalks but both ended with no shots because wind swapping and blowing the stalk. Finally about 5:00 we gave up for the day and headed to camp. Early dinner and to bed. We have plans to head to another property to look for Croc tomorrow.

Days like that are where you get a lot of experience stalking and starting over. It may not feel great but that's where we get a lot of our learning from. I had really shifty winds the same time frame as your hunt...must have been a weather system working. It was cold most mornings.

Good to see you made it back safely. Reading along fir the rest.

Days like that are where you get a lot of experience stalking and starting over. It may not feel great but that's where we get a lot of our learning from. I had really shifty winds the same time frame as your hunt...must have been a weather system working. It was cold most mornings.

We had same. Cold mornings and cloudy days. There were a couple days never took jackets off. We had same crappy winds most days and a couple afternoons had really strong winds.

Good story Mark.. Im enjoying the follow-along.

6/26
We will be hunting over the next few days several different properties. These are places Gerrit arranged for hunts for specific animals. I will not be listing exact locations or names on open forum as they are big 5 properties with Rhino on them, as you all know why.

Up at 5:30 and getting things ready. Big breakfast and left around 7:30 for 2 hour or so drive northwest close to Botswana border. We will be hunting Croc today.
We arrived at camp, beautiful is all I can say. Greeted by staff and PH/manager of property. We went and had some coffee/ juice and light snack. Signed paperwork etc.
IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

There is a drainage system thru property and numerous tanks/dams. We will head out and start checking the tanks to see if we can find one sunning. It has been cold and activity has slowed down some the PH says. The first one we eased into has several crocs laying on an island in the middle of it. After about 30 min looking everything over it was decided to move on. None of these were laying in a good spot for recovery and or were smaller young crocs. As we are walking back to truck came across a set of large croc tracks in the sand. PH decided we need follow these and see where it goes. After a bit he thinks it is headed to a dam a good bit aways. We go to truck and drive over to that area. We stopped 600-700 yards out and started easing that way. About 100 yards from it Ph motions for us to hold up and he will go take a look. He comes back smiling and gives a thumbs up. We start easing in being quiet as possible. This croc is laying up on bank warming itself in sun. Sleeping almost it appears. I am packing the CZ 375 HH for this. We are about 65 yards from it and work around for a side neck shot. I want the skull for a euro mount so no head shot. I hit him with a neck shot, followed by a second round just behind front leg for lung shot. He is flopping his tail and sliding into the water and hit him with a 3rd round in top of back between front legs as he slides into the water. We wait a min or two and nothing. So we go around to where he went in. As we are watching and looking where he went in a big bunch of air bubbles erupt. PH says he is done. He calls for some extra help and grapple hook. The guys hook him on third try and start dragging it to the shallow end. When they get him mostly out they take a large piece of rubber inner tube and tie his mouth closed and finish dragging him up on bank for pics.
First pic is him laying on bank
IMG_8574.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8417.jpg
    IMG_8417.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 103
We headed back to lodge where staff had prepared us a very excellent lunch. We departed camp about 3pm for drive back to Bos en Dal main camp. We arrived back at camp and had about 30-45 mins for a quick drive see if we could spot any buff cows for an idea where to start in the morning. We found them right at dark and that gave us an idea where to head in the morning.

Enjoying the report, and congrats so far!

Thanks for the sharing of your adventure, and Happy belated Birthday to you!

Mark enjoying your report, Africa is a great place to spend your birthday.

@Mark Biggerstaff I pass off the hurricane to you now. Looks like it has slid more east over the night and the track is no longer right over my house o_O

I'm glad you were able to do spot/stalk on your croc. That approach is much more interesting than I had given it credit for before doing it. I bet your heart skipped a beat when he kicked into the water!

Mark, what a great safari, and some great animals taken. Love the all the character on that crock. Congrats! Keep it coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lynda54D95

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.
RLP wrote on professor's profile.
Good morning. I am a Ruger fan myself. Have you sold to anyone on the site before? How old is the ammo?

RLP
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here