SOUTH AFRICA: 2023 Waterberg South Africa 27 April - 1 May

SAT 29th of April - Family time to be treasured.

With the pressure off from Luken's kudu bull and he's dad telling me that's it he is done hunting over the phone we revised our morning plans.
Me and Bruce will climb up the mountain behind camp in search of kudu and waterbuck.
Aaron and Hayden will stalk the flater areas for impala or warthog for Hayden.
Luken will sit at a waterhole and I gave him my 7x57 to shoot either an impala ewe or young ram for our freezer. (Otherwise he would be sitting doing nothing)

There is a road up the mountain and we decided to hug the mountain untill we are close enough to vertically catch the road otherwise we would have gone another km or so to where the road starts.
We quickly spot an impala ewe about 20 minutes into our walk and I put up the shooting sticks. She was unaware of us but before I could line up she vansihed where there is one ewe there must be more and we carefully stalk closer.
Suddenly the bush above us on our right erupt with probarbly 3-4 kudu running up and there is impala busting out same direction than the lone ewe and suddenly its all quiet.

Well if me and Bruce were not awake no we were now! We went another 200 meters or so and then went up the mountian to join the ascending road. The fresh tracks from the kudu were evident and going up the same road.

20230429-065934.jpg

Special place this Waterberg mountina range in Limpopo

20230429-072135.jpg

20230429-072147.jpg

The road up the mountain.

We were just enjoying the views and the walk and the plan was to summit and then go down a neck and climb up to where they built a new deck viewing area above a cliff face which you could just see from the camp. That combined with a new road I wanted to see and explore.

The road goes up and there is a spot where you can turn the vehicle and head back down again but is still a way off from the physicl summit. There is an flat area where 4x4 vehicles can make a u Turn.

20230429-084231.jpg

We went slowly as we came to the area where a 4x4 vehilce can turn around and spotted two kudu bulls slowly walking away from us in seperate direction going up. Never seeing their horns only their bodies. Long ago there were tribe poeple staying on top here that melted iron and you can see rocks arranged in a certain way all over there.

We slowly went up as quietly as possible and as we got to one of the higher plateaus I stepped on a rock that was loose and hevay and it made quite a nice loud rocking sound. Cursing myself I thought that is it all the game would have heard it and all fled.
It was not 30 seconds later I spotted a kudu 50 meters away from us a bit lower feeding it was a cow and a good sized one. I quickly grabbed the shooting sticks from Bruce Lined up and she looked up.
She was not sure what I was as I as peering over a bush and standing still. Meantime Bruce had no idea what was happening when I took the shot.

I was very steady and could have taken a shoulder shot but opted to take a headshot and would have no wonder where she will end up if she ran after the shot. It all happned so fast Bruce just saw legs of of the kudu cow in the air as she fell.

The animals around us suddenly came alive with two cows flying past and then baboons running towards us from below. There was a huge one sitting on a log and I handed Bruce the 375 and told him to shoot the big one. Just then a young kudu bull born last year stepped in to obstruct Bruce's view. These animals had no idea what happened for them it could have been ligthting.

The other baboons spotted us made alarm and everything ran off.
Suddenly I realized although I made a huge sound with the rock rocking the kudu must have thought it was the baboons looking for insects and scorpions. (y)

We slowly made our way over to the downed kudu cow and Bruce was still so surpized how I spotted her never mind shot her. She was a beaut of a cow and will be fine dining. But right now we are on top of the world and we have to get her down. As the crow fleis we were about 300 meters away from where the 4x4 vehicles could turn around on the road.

As luck would have it I had a bit of reception on top and sent Neels the farm owner a pin location. The other message of telling him that we needed help and I shot a kudu cow didn't go through at first and he replied lovely view aint it??? :LOL: :X3:

20230429-081323.jpg

Eventually messages went through and he told me he is on his way and I told him I would gut the cow in the meantime while we wait.

It was really nice and the view fantastic from there and after gutting we stood on the side and waited for the vehicle we could hear it before seeing it then saw that Neels bumped into the boys. Aaron Hayden and Johannes the tracker and loaded them as well to help.

This could not have been scripted better they boys were going to join us on top and from there we could all hike to the new viewing deck.
Neels, has done this retreving bit quite a bit before and brought along straps and two harnesses. The harnesesse would help on the shoulder and the strapss to pull the kudu up from the ground to go over the rocks.

Some action while pulling the cow out to the vehicle.
Me left Johannes and Aaron in front and Bruce on the right. Hayden was the cameraman.
Uncle Neels supervising from the right.

20230429-092139.jpg

20230429-092037.jpg

So we got in some good exercise in that morning going up going down dragging a kudu cow and then we would would go back up and down to hike to the new Viewing deck.

With a big bonus that the boys would be with us it was truly a blessing in disguise that I shot that cow up there. But like they say you take what the bush gives you. It was part of the adventure and having the boys there to help and see was something none of us will ever forget.

Neels, showed us around where the small village was located of the tribe and then we filled up our water and headed off.

20230429-100157.jpg

Tired but ready for the next leg of the adventure after loading the cow onto the bakkie.

20230429-101143.jpg

Almost at the summit but a clear view of the Poer Zyn Loop river at the bottom, the cliffs are on the next mountain to the left while from there we were right above our camp below.
Miles and miles of Africa as you would say this part of the country is rough yes there is fences but they are not foolproof in the mountains and animals come and go if they wish.

Next door is 25 000 hectares of a reserve where there is even wild dog packs that come and harras the game on the farm and the reserve is green so no hunting. The farm is smack bam in the middle of the Waterberg Biosphere and I'm sure Jaco from Kwalata knows extactly where this is.

20230429-101339.jpg

Special moments and places shared with our boys now men as they are both 18 years of age

20230429-101243.jpg

So we had to peak the first mountain climb over the remaining part of a game fence that was still intact. Climb down onto a neck and up again higher to get to the new viewing point.
Bruce's Garmin watch said in total to the deck we climbed vertical 282m so that was 280meter higher than the camp. Total of 8km to the viewing point. We could have gone down wit the kudu and got there with the 4x4 back up but that would not have been so much fun.

Over the fence we go.

20230429-101756.jpg

Down the neck and up to the next peak you can see the cliffs on the right side of the photo.

Some nice memories and views captured below.

20230429-104332.jpg

20230429-104524.jpg

20230429-104641-1.jpg

20230429-104838-1.jpg

20230429-105219.jpg

You can just see the camp with the blue water between the leaves of the tree on the right.

20230429-105516.jpg

20230429-105528.jpg

So after spending half an hour or so enjoying the view, sounds and smell we took on the new road to head all the way back down behind the mountain to where Luken was sitting.

The new road was and is supberb. I made a decision seeing the tracks that this is where I will hang out when I'm back in July. Multiple kudu, waterbuck, sable and wildebeest tracks. We went around the corner when we heard something move on the oppsite side of a valley. I asked Aaron to throw a rock and out popped a huge kudu bull easy 56" in length and we were basically on top of him before going round the corner.

He never stopped or slowed down so very sly and would not give a hunter a shot. Not even 5 minutes later whe busted baboons very strong suspicion and chance it was the bunch when I shot my kudu cow. They scattered and then a young one kept looking at us from a tree 100 meters away.
I got the shooting sticks ready and let Hayden take the shot perfect the baboon dropped right there from the tree. He had his first kill and a baboon just to break the ice.

No, it is not a big one but I just wanted Hayden not to go back empty handed as it was their last hunting day. If a chance on a baboon can be taken as they are a nuisance on the farm so be it. Hayden was extremely happy and the baboon was not shot from a hide, vehicle but from foot.

20230429-114111.jpg

More on the troubles the baboons make they eat all the fruit or drop all the wild fruit even if they are not ripe. They trash all wild bird nests and eggs there is very little guinea fowl around for example. With all the reserves in the Biosphere the baboon numbers are not managed and as most of the area is anti hunting the population is booming.

The farmers in the area who grow crops struggle and actually hire people sitting around the fields especially maize from dawn to dusk to chase them away. The farm itself is 3000 hectares and there is 3 troops that roam the area that is 2 troops too many. The big males are notorious on killing young lambs especailly duiker, klipspringer and impala.

Except for that and I forgot to mention this was the first time I saw Sharpes Grysbuck in the middle of the day the previous day. Normally only found on the northern side of the Soutpanberg mountains. Seems like they have a good setup and area except for the high numbers of baboons and hope that over the years and management I can see their numbers grow.

Not far from the baboon we spotted two klipspringers cross the road and I quickly asses them there is a ram and a ewe and the ram is defintely on my list of tiny ten and he his good enough.
I tell Aaron to quickly pass me the 6.5x55 and start to lign up the shot. Range is about 60 meters and the ram turns quartering. I aim for behind the shoulder when he suddenly moves off and he is gone taking the ewe with him.

That was close but July is around the corner and I will be back.

The road that was quite flat is getting steeper and although we had hopes that you don't really need a 4x4 vehicle to get up to the viewing point we struggle not to slip and slide down the road while walking a steep ravine to our left.

The ravine looks out of place with tall trees and a proper canopy and open forest floor sheltered by wind and sun it is perfect area for bushbuck and duiker. We were almost down when we hear the bakkie coming our way. Neels went to pick up Luken at a specified time and we took a bit longer to come down from the mountian stopping for the kudu bull, baboon and klipspringer along the way.

Luken, managed a great shot on a impala ewe with a brainshot so good eating again for us.
He never took a picture of the ewe and himself and never told us so sorry, no showing only telling.
He did enjoy shooting with the 7x57.

About 2km from camp we bump this lone impala ram and we quietly get Hayden lined up and he excecutes a perfect heart shot. Hayden was worried as it didnt drop right there like his baboon but found it 30 meters further.

Hayden, cannot stop grinning a baboon and an impala about 2 hours from each other for his first kills.

20230429-125240.jpg

WOW, what a morning we got back at camp just after noon!
We did a 12km Hike up and down the mountains, got a kudu cow dragged the cow back to the vehicle with the help of the boys hiked to the new viewing deck.

Hiked down with the new road got Hayden's first kill, Luken bagged a fine impala ewe and just at the end Hayden his impala.

Getting the boys to make us much needed and good late Breakfast me and Bruce discussed that this afternoon will be Dad's only. The boys would stay and camp and just chill.

Lounging around me and Bruce headed about 4pm to the spot where Luken got the impala ewe and we took the 6.5x55 and the .22 along for in case as well.
I cut some fresh branches so we could sit behind the makeshift blind as the leaves form the previous branches as dried out and started to fall off.
The sun had to hit one of the mountains behind us before we could be concealed as the sun was right behind us and we didnt have a backdrop.

Chatting about the morning events the world and just general chit chat I heard something moving in the leaves. The noise was concerning to me as it was constant and heading towards us.
I called it as a snake and told Bruce to be on the look out. Out of my sight Bruce could see a snake heading towards us. I asked him what colour it was and he told me it was green.
Cool, so no worries its either a boomslang non agressive at all or spotted green bush snake harmless.

Two minutes later I spotted the snake I have no idea why Bruce said green but it was light grey and it was a young Mozambique spitting cobra about 1 meter in lenght. At that stage he was just 1 meter away from Bruce's feet. I picked up sand and threw it at him through the branches to chase him away and tell him he's not welcome. We stood up I grabbed the .22 and we walked around to the front of the makshift branch screen. Standing back and throwing more sand towards the branches we could not spot the cobra anymore and went back again to our seats.

But before sitting threw sand again to make sure he took off somewhere else.
So we started our conversation again after the little bit of exitement. It was about half an hour later when I heard leaves again but this time right behind me.
Almost twisting my neck like an owl I spotted the bloody cobra again and quickly stood up as soon as I was upright he saw me and turned. This time at high speed away from us.

I threw more sticks and sand at him untill he was well away.
Could you believe the bloody snake's bad manners?
It could have been nasty imagine he came the first time through the screen and suddenly be between us, one sudden move from our side and one us could have been bitten.

Sorry there was no time for nice photos only time to get out of harms way.
By the way it was very hot that day again although the morning with our hike it was cool and a bit cloudy.

So after this episode the sun finally hit the mountian behind us and we were sitting in the shade and could be extra quiet and sitting still. The noises of the last bit of day from the birds and insects started in earnets and suddenly stopped as well.

Then I heard something about 100 meters away from us and we peered and this proper warthog boar appeared out of nowhere. First I was surprized as this was rough rocky area and you would rather see a bushpig than a warthog boar, maybe he was just roaming looking for a sow?

Anyway he headed straight fo the water and Bruce got ready instead of going to the water he started moving from left to right about 80 meters from us casually walking he stopped and I told Bruce to shoot but then moved again he went past a tree and then stopped again. My words were not even out of my mouth to tell Bruce to shoot and he fired.

The shot looked good it happend so quick there was time to check the opposite leg but the shot was smack bang the entry on the shoulder. We could hear the boar running towards us then veer off into the bush and then the disticnt sound of an animal lying on his side kicking.

We grabbed both rifles the .22 and 6.5 and ventured closer.
At first Bruce could'nt see the downed boar and I told him to look for the log under the trees then he spotted it. We walked closer and I could see he was busy expiring but still breathing heavily. I loaded the .22 and told Bruce to give him a coup de grace between his eye and ear which he did and it was over.

It's the dead ones that kill you and I have seen too many time a warthog looking dead but as soon as you come closer they suddenly jump up and get going again.
I showed Bruce those very sharp lower tusks and let him feel it and the first responce that came from him was that he could imagaine if they cut your leg and catch and artery. He then understood why I got him to shoot again.

20230429-173452.jpg

This was not Bruce's first warthogh but his first proper boar with a bit of tusks.
The exit was a bit back and that is why the boar was still alive and I was cautios. The entry was perfect if he stood properly broadside.

It was 5:45 pm we got the bakkie loaded the boar and opened up a cold one to celebrate and headed for the farmstead to get the boar slaugthered.

By the time we got back to the camp the boys had a roaring fire going dishes were done and I could concentrate on the food by the fire.

20230429-191629.jpg

Lamb Rib seasoned with good spice and lemon juice it was fantastic.

Thats a wrap for probarbly one of the most exiting and eventull days I have had in the bush in one day. That is also why I'm glad we have this proper forum/community to share and capture these adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done gents!!!!

Sorry that I had to sit this one out!!!

Yes, you missed out on a lekka trip.
Next time.

Fun fathers and sons trip. Monster kudu bull for the young man. Congratulations to you all! It will be hard for you to wait for July so you can go back

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

What a special trip. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us!

Congrats, seems like you guys had a great time.

Thanks for sharing !

Congratulations! What a great looking hunt and to me there is nothing better than hunting in Africa with family and friends. For the kids, they will remember this adventure for the rest of their lives.

Great looking Kudu!

Thanks for sharing.

Sunday 30th of April, - Chill day for all

With no rush or need to gather anymore meat for the freezer we took it very slow on Sunday.
Woke up later than normal enjoyed coffee and just listening to the world waking up.

Bruce and Hayden started to pack up as they had to get going Bruce's dad was moving home and he needed to help out especially with his workshop and tools.
The trip was good and I almsot had to tell Bruce to get going as we enjoyed tlaking about the weekend and the hunt.

We heard baboons not far from camp and the boys took the .22 and the 6.5 to see if they could get a chance at any? The baboons did made havoc a few weeks ago on the tents climbing on top of the canvas roofs and riding it untill the whole tent fell flat and then pissing and crapping all over it.
They now installed a line of Razor wire just under roof for the baboons not to climb on top of the canvas roof anymore.

Bruce and Hayden finally got enough courage to get going andf back to the city life at about 10 am.
Luken and Aaron wanted to go on a short walk to find anymore chance on baboons and I told them to be back at 1pm.

I was going to make my world famous fresh liver recipe for Brunch/lunch with Ciabatta bread and melted cheese over it and creamy liver sauce with a hint of fresh chilli sauce onion and bacon mix.
So while the boys were out I was cleaning and cutting up the liver and onions getting all of it ready.

When I was one preparing all except for melting the cheese on the Ciabatta I decided to have a swim since it was getting hot again and it was very relaxing with thousands of small fish mostly Tilapia cleaning and nibbling all over your body. Told my wife about it and she said she would have freaked out.

About 8 weeks earlier there was a pod of hippo that trekked through coming form the Mogol river up the Poer zyn loop but didn't hang around much as the area is very rocky and went away again. They have also seen a small croc in January and also had a big python almsot catch a dog while he was lurking in the water.

Swimming all alone your mind starts to wander and I decided I had enough of a swim. :LOL:

istockphoto-1019921800-612x612.jpg

But later my friend Gys and his dad Neels the farm owners pitched up and I told them great timing as they would be able to get some of the world famous liver. I got the bread into the oven and we just chatted over what I saw on the fram the experience the guys had nd just general catching up talks.

The two bouys came back not firing a shot and getting a clear chance on any baboon or monkey and we dug into the food. Everyone had seconds and there was enough left over also to give to Johannes and Moses the trackers.

The boys went fir a swim afterwards themselves and the plan to drop them off later and see what they could find either another wartie or impala ewe or young ram.

20230430-151854.jpg

20230430-151643.jpg

I was planning to just take a drive around myself obvioussly with a rifle just in case but decided to drop off the boys and have a quiet afternoon and visited my father not far from the farm.

Got back and Aaron bagged a young impala ewe shot was about 120 meters with the 375 H&H.

IMG-20230501-WA0019.jpg

They were prepared as you can see with headlamps not to struggle like I did with the wildebeest cow.

Had a very slow evening cooking vegetables or we call them Chicken over the fire and a good night's sleep.
We woke up early the next day and got packing up the gear and loading all the meat Luken did a quick breakfast of bacon and egss and we took last photo with Luken and his set of kudu horns.

20230501-085645.jpg

Look at that mass on the horns exceptionall the way to the tips. Grand old bull.

Till next time 29 June to 2nd July will be round 2.
Thanks for reading and enjoying our adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great time . Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Real nice kudu!

Wow, what an adventure @Frederik ! It is such an honour to assist in someone’s first big game hunt. Luken will have memories for a lifetime with that grand old kudu bull!

Aaron and you did very well too, lots of good meat for the freezer :)

Thanks a lot for sharing and writing so well all the events, it demoed like we were there with you :)

Congratulations and waidmannsheil for you and the boys!

Thank you @VertigoBE it was good for everyone, I spoke to Hayden's mother yesterday and she said he still keeps talking about the hunt. So definetely a new hunter in the making.

Great adventure! thanks for sharing. your doing grand work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]