SOUTH AFRICA: 2021 Group Hunt With Bos en Dal SAFARIS

Congrats on the great hunt. It's always great to hunt with fellow veterans.

Looking forward to hearing more of the hunt.

Agree.

I help coordinate/host an annual veterans deer hunt each year over veterans day week/weekend, and an annual hog hunt in the spring with the same group of guys.. We've had about 30 guys come through camp over the last several years, and generally have about 10-12 show up at any given hunt (about 50% of them are regulars that make it to almost all of the hunts, and the other 50% are generally first timers)...

We've now progressed into a group that is doing international hunts together.. This Bos en Dal hunt was the first, but we're already in the planning phase for a 2022 Bos en Dal hunt as well..

Its a great time every time a group of like minded, hunting centric, vets get together.. This 2021 Bos en Dal hunt was honestly the best/most fun international hunt Ive ever been on (out of 4x Africa hunts, and probably a dozen or so traveling hunts elsewhere)..

The last hunt of the trip for us was what was previously described as the easiest hunt I have ever had in Africa..

We really didnt have anything left on the agenda, and were for the most part just riding the property in search of whatever the bush would provide. I'd seen a paid of nice gemsbok a few times earlier in the week that I thought if we could find them again, I might be interested in making a run at them. I'd also seen tons of blue wildebeest and had thought another wildebeest rug might be nice as a bedside rug to help cope with cold hardwood floors in the mornings, but we really had no plan..

While driving one of the main properties at Bos en Dal we spied a pretty good sized herd of blue wildebeest that had a few decent shooter bulls in it.. they were on the move pretty briskly though and were a few hundred yards away, and we werent really sure where they might be going.. It appeared that they had just left one of the larger dams and had been getting a drink, but where they intended to end up now was anyones guess..

A quick decision was made to see if we might be able to head them off, and if so maybe get a better look at them and see if one of the "shooters" was really worth taking..

We drove probably 1/2 a mile, took a 90 degree left turn on a crossroad, drove another 1/4 mile and took another 90 degree turn, essentially putting ourselves on the opposite side of a squared off piece of property, hoping that we could get to some higher ground, look into the area we had just left and see where the herd was going..

Believing we were probably several hundred yards ahead of them or more and we really didnt know where they were going, we parked the bakkie, dismounted, and got in no hurry to get the rifles out or begin to move to higher ground.. In fact, everyone in the vehicle needed to pee, so we each stepped off a few feet in a different cardinal direction, dropped trou, and began to relieve ourselves, with me facing rearward from the vehicle..

Francois, in a hushed, but hurried voice shouted "Dave! he's here!!!!!" not having a clue what Francois was talking about, I didnt get in any hurry to shake things off or move in his direction.. and Francois proclaimed just a little louder.. "He's here!".. Slowly I turned around, still not having zipped up my fly, to see a nice blue wildebeest bull just standing in the road, staring at Francois, about 80 meters in front of the bakkie, with other wildebeest periodically passing behind him going from one field to the next..

Hoping not to startle the bull, I grabbed my rifle (fly still unzipped :) ), and moved toward Francois slowly.. as I approached Francois put up the sticks.. the rifle went on top of them, and less than 5 seconds later the trigger was pulled and the bull dropped in his tracks right in the middle of the road...

We literally didnt even have to move him 6" to pose him for pictures :)

IMG_1116.JPG

Many attempts were made on bushbuck. We pretty much went out every evening we were there in search of one, and saw a dozen or more over the course of the trip.. but they were all females or young rams with only one exception..

At one point we decided to try to set up an ambush.. We put out some bait/feed (alfalfa and molassas) and set up a trail camera about 100 meters from a treeline where we thought we would have a nice hiding spot, that was located less than 100 meters from a small river and just outside of a large (maybe 1 acre) patch of reeds.. While Gerrit and Francois (PH's) were setting up the bait and camera and the huntress and I were looking on, a very nice ram darted out of the reeds, up an embankment onto a ridge, and into the treeline and was gone within about 3 seconds (not nearly enough time to get sticks up or even try to take a shot on the fly)..

Non crock cock pic below :D

View attachment 417949
Awesome croc! The more I see them, the more I want one; but that's pretty much everything in Africa at this point.

My bushbuck hunt on the river was definitely one of the highlights and my favorite hunts on my trip in June. The number of bushbuck we saw was astounding.

A few pics from one of the other hunter's hunts... (bar over face since he isnt a member here, etc.. trying to somewhat respect privacy :) )...

50_ Kudu Bull.jpg

Nate's Impala.jpg

Wildebeest.jpg

Warthog.jpg

He had a great week considering this was his first ever hunt in South Africa, taking a nice kudu bull as his first ever African animal, followed by a pair of impala (he also took a cull ewe), then took a nice wildebeest.. and then finished his hunt on the final day, in the last hour of daylight taking an old one tusk warthog...

I can't believe I missed this...and I thought I was watching for it too! Nate sent me some of his pics while you were over there. Awesome!

Thanks for sharing your hunt and Congrats!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txhunter210

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!