Sources for 2 1/2” 12 gauge ammunition

Shako Badhan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I recently decided to get back into shooting and hunting with vintage British shotguns. Since I have been away from this past time it seems the lighter loaded 2 1/2” 12 gauge ammunition has become very hard to come by in the US. A strange fact given they are wildly available in Canada and the UK.

Does anyone has any suggestions on a source? I’m getting the feeling I might have to take the plunge and get into reloading.

I thought Gamebore was available here. Might also check with the US Westley Richards agency. I imagine they want to keep their US based vintage guns fed.

I thought Gamebore was available here. Might also check with the US Westley Richards agency. I imagine they want to keep their US based vintage guns fed.
Unfortunately Gamebore is not importing them at the moment and WR no longer has them on their site, I will definitely give them a call to check though

Unfortunately Gamebore is not importing them at the moment and WR no longer has them on their site, I will definitely give them a call to check though

Hmmm…how about RST? I think they also deal with shortys

If you find some let me know!!!

I recently decided to get back into shooting and hunting with vintage British shotguns. Since I have been away from this past time it seems the lighter loaded 2 1/2” 12 gauge ammunition has become very hard to come by in the US. A strange fact given they are wildly available in Canada and the UK.

Does anyone has any suggestions on a source? I’m getting the feeling I might have to take the plunge and get into reloading.

Federal Shorty also an option at 1.75"

I know there are several methods by which you can cut 2 3/4 shells. From exactly knives, table saws, special tools. It is not expensive but it is time consuming

RST
Rottweil
Sellier & Bellot
Eley
Hull
Lyalvale Express
Game Bore

All of these companies make 2 1/2" shells. Magtech makes all brass 2 1/2" hulls for hand loading.

Right now the usual suppliers of 2-1/2" 12 gauge ammo seem to be sold out most of the time.

I own and shoot vintage Brit shotguns with 2-1/2" chambers. I can shorten standard hulls and load them but I usually don't bother. I shoot low pressure loods in 2-3/4" hulls. This is absolutely safe and will not harm your gun. BUT you must find a source for the low pressure loads, which will usually be your own loading bench.

Very difficult to find currently.
RST and B&P but it’s more miss than hit.
Good luck and let us know if you find any, I sure can’t.

Right now the usual suppliers of 2-1/2" 12 gauge ammo seem to be sold out most of the time.

I own and shoot vintage Brit shotguns with 2-1/2" chambers. I can shorten standard hulls and load them but I usually don't bother. I shoot low pressure loods in 2-3/4" hulls. This is absolutely safe and will not harm your gun. BUT you must find a source for the low pressure loads, which will usually be your own loading bench.
I think I will end up going down the reloading route. I have never reloaded before, but maybe this is a good way to get my feet wet.

I’ll still be keeping my eye out for the factory stuff though.

Quick update, I found some RST! I also ended up with more than I can use. I’ll be posting a case for sale in the classified soon if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg