Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland, Namibia - Caprivi
So, simple question for reloaders and experienced elephant hunters:

Recommended velocity for 300 grain solid bullet in 375 H&H for elephant?

This is straight off Hendershot's website for 375 H&H. I use 2500 fps for 300 gr bullets in my 375 Ruger.

1726314057516.png

I have not hunted Elephant with the 375, only the 416 Rigby. If using the 375 I would use the Woodleigh Hydro like I do in the 416. In my 375H&H the Hydros are running at 2600fps 3 mts from the muzzle.

My 25” Pre-64 shoots Federal 300gr Sledgehammers at 2550, I’m sure that will handle business!

I hunted elephant, and hippo as well, with my .375 H&H magnum once and for such game, I reloaded this caliber with Cutting Edge Bullet Safari Solid 300 gr.
I used Vihtavuori N150 and my average muzzle velocity was 756 m/s (2480 f/s). It's easy with double base powders to push them faster, but I don't think it's really necessary for hunting.
Penetration was very impressive and in straight line.
When I made my load developement , this is the only bullet that passed through a big stump that I used to hold my target.
With quartering away shots, except one, all my bullets passed through the elephant chest and same thing for the one in the head with a side one shot. The bullet we recovered was the first one I shot and it broke the opposite humerus of the animal which was paralyzed. That's why I was able to shoot several rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bensonchem

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?