Soldier Buried In France

Neophyte

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
My uncle, whom I never met, is buried in France after being killed there in WWII.

His next of kin is his Grandchildren as his wife and daughter are now deceased. His daughter was my cousin. I hold the deed to the family plot in the cemetery. My dad is buried there and we’d like to have my uncle buried in the family plot.

One, how do we go about this and two, how do we get the government to pay for it? I’m willing to pay for my aunt to be dug up and reburied in the family plot as I’m her next of kin. I just think it would be cost prohibitive for me to do this for my uncle and he is buried in a military cemetery.

After they are all buried I’d close the plot. It would be the first generation of American born and their parents. My dad is already buried there with his parents. I have no desire to be buried there and I still haven’t figured what I’m going to do with mom’s ashes. She rides in a box in my Jeep right now.

I should preface this by saying I was career soldier, but I would think about it. He was a young man essentially unknown to any living relative who has lain with his comrades for three quarters of a century.

I should preface this by saying I was career soldier, but I would think about it. He was a young man essentially unknown to any living relative who has lain with his comrades for three quarters of a century.
This!

Those who died with him in that foreign soil were his family at that time.

I’ve thought about that.

From what I know he was pulled from the rear where his unit was to serve as a runner. He likely didn’t know those he is buried with. He also wrote my mom a letter as he was going to the front stating that he wasn’t going to make it through this battle. I read the letter.

He was a father, married, with two kids and a draft exempt job. He didn’t join for heroism but because my dad got mad at my mom and joined. He joined to look out for his kid brother. Kid brother went to the Pacific and came home so I could be spawned.

I don’t know why but after reading a letter my dad wrote to my aunt in WWII I feel like he should come home and be with the family.

Edit To Add: Dad always felt guilty about his death as they both had draft exempt jobs. So I ask myself if we should bring him back home. The only reason his wife didn’t bring him home was because she didn’t want to “burden the government with the cost.” A distinction not shared by those that didn’t live through The Great Depression.

Last edited:
The way that I am looking at it he was buried with his comrades, weather he knew very many of them or not. He has been resting in this location with them for longer than any of his other relatives have been alive.

If the "we" want to bring him back to a family plot then the "we" should find a way to pay the expenses of bringing him back to bury in the family plot. Then there could be a idea of just placing a marker for him in the family plot as so many others have done when members of their family have been buried overseas in a war zone.

It is nice that we have a government or a department of Veterans Affairs who might look into it, but in the end if the family really wants something like this after so many years they should find a way to do it themselves.

I’ve thought about that.

From what I know he was pulled from the rear where his unit was to serve as a runner. He likely didn’t know those he is buried with. He also wrote my mom a letter as he was going to the front stating that he wasn’t going to make it through this battle. I read the letter.

He was a father, married, with two kids and a draft exempt job. He didn’t join for heroism but because my dad got mad at my mom and joined. He joined to look out for his kid brother. Kid brother went to the Pacific and came home so I could be spawned.

I don’t know why but after reading a letter my dad wrote to my aunt in WWII I feel like he should come home and be with the family.

Edit To Add: Dad always felt guilty about his death as they both had draft exempt jobs. So I ask myself if we should bring him back home. The only reason his wife didn’t bring him home was because she didn’t want to “burden the government with the cost.” A distinction not shared by those that didn’t live through The Great Depression.
I would assume for the cost associated with the removal cost you could fly to France every year for the rest of your life and pay your respects . if it helps I built a monument to my father in a grove of shade trees , here where I live, he was a pacific theatre marine and is buried far away from me, gone but not forgotten.

As a respectful opinion from having my entire family on both sides served in various fronts i would contact my local vfw and start there but like others have mentioned maybe just leave him in peace there, no right answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope there is support to assist you with the process and expense.

The way that I am looking at it he was buried with his comrades, weather he knew very many of them or not. He has been resting in this location with them for longer than any of his other relatives have been alive.

If the "we" want to bring him back to a family plot then the "we" should find a way to pay the expenses of bringing him back to bury in the family plot. Then there could be a idea of just placing a marker for him in the family plot as so many others have done when members of their family have been buried overseas in a war zone.

It is nice that we have a government or a department of Veterans Affairs who might look into it, but in the end if the family really wants something like this after so many years they should find a way to do it themselves.
You bring forth an idea not considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrishaBgl2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?