Soft vs. Hard Bases and How to Tell the Difference

Sabre

AH member
Reaction score
I have often seen in threads on here that someone will see an animal like a gemsbok and say the bases are still soft and/or green and that it was young.

I can see secondary growth, and I understand that is an indicator that the animal is mature. But, what are you looking at when there isn't secondary growth and you say the bases are either hard or soft, especially in a photo. Because to me, they look the same. And I have seen photos where there wasn't any obvious secondary growth and it was a very large specimen and no one said anything about the bases being soft.

I will post a photo of one example from this site of a large gemsbok that the person stated was very large, and it certainly appears to be in the photo, but there doesn't appear to be obvious secondary growth in the photo.

Maybe people responding could post photos with examples of soft bases and hard bases to help me understand.

Thanks.

GEMSBOK.jpeg

I’m not your man on hard vs soft on gemsbok, but iffen I’d seen THAT gemsbok, imma shooting. :cool:

First off a lot of comments are incorrect especially on the recent thread I think you are referring too. You won’t see secondary growth in all trophies. It’s an indication the animal is very old not just maturity. It’s been mature for a few years prior to that. I’m also uncertain if secondary growth occurs in all species or all areas or if is dependent on certain factors. If you get trophies home that have yellowish bases it was still growing. Here are some examples I have. All are good trophies with hard bases but you can see a difference of a more prime trophy vs a very old trophy. The secondary growth on sable is clear to see.
IMG_5745.jpeg
IMG_5743.jpeg
IMG_5742.jpeg
IMG_5741.jpeg

Also a lot of gemsbok shot as trophies are cows such as the one in the photo you posted. You’ll note the thin bases and long horns. Both my photos are bulls usually thicker straighter horns and much thicker bases.

Last edited:
Here are some trophies from my garage. You can see the yellowish soft bases on animals I wouldn’t consider a good trophy now that I know more. Unfortunately, there is incentive to harvest game animals as a crop before they are old. Particularly in areas with commercial game farming.
IMG_5747.jpeg
IMG_5746.jpeg

Last edited:
First off a lot of comments are incorrect especially on the recent thread I think you are referring too.

I wasn't referencing any specific recent thread. I just feel like I've seen it a lot where in judging threads or where people ask about age of animals someone will comment that the bases are still soft or green.

I can spot the secondary growth fairly easily as I suspect most people can. But oftentimes people will say the animal is still soft or green at the base, and I don't really see a difference.

In your photos of your taxidermy euro mounts it is quite obvious what you are talking about, and I really appreciate you posting those photos.

Do you have photos of what those animals looked like after the shot, like trophy photos? It might be really helpful to compare, especially on those hartebeest.

Thanks again.

Do you have photos of what those animals looked like after the shot, like trophy photos? It might be really helpful to compare, especially on those hartebeest.

Thanks again.
Here is hartebeest with the yellowish bases. It’s technically the longest red hartebeest I’ve shot. From Limpopo.
IMG_5750.png
IMG_5748.jpeg

Here is hartebeest with hard bases from previous photo. It should be noted though it isn’t an old hartebeest but mature. This photo looks like bases had a little more to go. From NW Namibia.
IMG_5751.png
IMG_5749.jpeg

Here’s another one from this year. A little older but a lot more worn down. PH said because of density of hartebeest on property and bulls fighting. From central Namibia.
IMG_5752.jpeg

Here is hartebeest with the yellowish bases. It’s technically the longest red hartebeest I’ve shot. From Limpopo.
View attachment 626957View attachment 626958
Here is hartebeest with hard bases from previous photo. It should be noted though it isn’t an old hartebeest but mature. This photo looks like bases had a little more to go. From NW Namibia.
View attachment 626960View attachment 626961

Here’s another one from this year. A little older but a lot more worn down. PH said because of density of hartebeest on property and bulls fighting. From central Namibia.
View attachment 626959

Very interesting, and thank you for posting those pictures to compare.

I have to say, you had really clear photos of the bases from very close up and even with that, it would still be difficult to claim to know that one of those was going to end up green/soft, just by looking at the photos.

I find it a bit difficult to believe so many people can tell instantly from one trophy photo from much further away which ones are "soft" at the base. I'm guessing some PHs might be able to, just find it hard to believe the average african hunter would be able to. I imagine most people are judging on size and shape of horns as well as condition of animals and then just saying they "can tell the bases are soft".

I could be wrong, and maybe there are photos out there that make the difference more obvious.

It really was valuable to have photos of soft after taxidermy and what they looked like right after shot. Thank you very much.

I have often seen in threads on here that someone will see an animal like a gemsbok and say the bases are still soft and/or green and that it was young.

I can see secondary growth, and I understand that is an indicator that the animal is mature. But, what are you looking at when there isn't secondary growth and you say the bases are either hard or soft, especially in a photo. Because to me, they look the same. And I have seen photos where there wasn't any obvious secondary growth and it was a very large specimen and no one said anything about the bases being soft.

I will post a photo of one example from this site of a large gemsbok that the person stated was very large, and it certainly appears to be in the photo, but there doesn't appear to be obvious secondary growth in the photo.

Maybe people responding could post photos with examples of soft bases and hard bases to help me understand.

Thanks.
The difference comes when either hunting with a PH or if you are hunting with a Professional Hunter. Not all PH's are Professional Hunters. Does that make sense?
This only comes with experience and should never be your job as the paying hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smith29

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com