So you think you need to own a Stopping Rifle...

Unfortuanately the "practice" there goes in the wrong direction for a dg ph, part of why I stopped participating a long time ago....
Maybe after 100 years of non participating come and join again and give your input, you really have no idea what we do at the shoots.

Reactions: DWB
Maybe after 100 years of non participating come and join again and give your input, you really have no idea what we do at the shoots.
You mean there isn’t a framed portrait of IvW there to remind everyone of the top dangerous game PH in Southern Africa? I never could have guessed.

I still can't fathom how learning to shoot fast and accurate, in different positions, learning to reload from your belt, sorting out all the kinks in a rifle, learning how to clear jams, all from different forms or readiness (empty magazine, full magazine, bolt open, safety on etc etc), developing muscle memory, learning to manage recoil from your big bore etc can be bad for you....?

I find something like this to be very good training for learning to shoot with big bore rifles, especially the very big ones. I had once only the opportunity to take part in something like this in my country, which is scarcely ever organized here. It was purely a coincidence on a shooting range so that I was not able to use one of my big bore rifles but that of another participant's, a rifle caliber 505 Gibbs. It was fun and was the only time I had the opportunity to shoot a rifle of this caliber. I would like to do something like this regularly.

Reactions: DWB
I still can't fathom how learning to shoot fast and accurate, in different positions, learning to reload from your belt, sorting out all the kinks in a rifle, learning how to clear jams, all from different forms or readiness (empty magazine, full magazine, bolt open, safety on etc etc), developing muscle memory, learning to manage recoil from your big bore etc can be bad for you....?
Too much recoil too often = flinch development in many (most?) folks. It can also lead to serious health issues. Difficult to shoot a big bore accurately if you can no longer see the hand in front of your face. Not to mention shoulder injuries.

I have endured more than a dozen laser patch jobs to my retinas. Best way to describe it is a cattle prod going off in my brain. Sobbed like a baby. And then there's the major surgeries where eye is simply pulled out of socket ... with no anesthesia. I wouldn't wish it on someone I hated. Certainly not my wife (maybe my ex wife :D ). Be careful how much recoil your eyes absorb. I would estimate the risk of retina damage is higher than bull riding.

Last edited:
We are different, some have no problems with something like that, others cannot. I fired around 25 rounds of 505 Gibbs at this event without any damage.

By the way, anyone who owns a big bore rifle has to train regularly and needs a target that motivates them.

63.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorethaAtl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia