So..Gentlemen...wich .450 - 476NE cartridge must be considered the best of the lot..?

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa
And please...keep you answer within those mentioned..

My take is the .470NE.. It is a very balanced cartridge..5000 foot - pounds + and low pressure. You could argue that the .500/465 is very much the same..but where is the ammunition today..? You could, as Boddington does, argue that a double can be built somewhat slimmer in .450NE..but again..ammo is scarce..

So..simply because ammo is plentyful...and otherwise it is very well proven and popular...I say .470 Nitro Express..

Opinions..?

So I have heard opinions that the 450NE is better for a client than the 470NE as the 500 grain bullet of the 470 has a reduced sectional density and therefore penetrates less deep given similar muzzle energy. I have always thought that at some stage you must reach a point where a bullet penetrates sufficiently well to achieve the task and my suspicion is that the 470NE is more than adequate for the job. Has anyone experienced the 470NE being inadequate??

Certus..I have a double in .475 3 1/4...a nice round that..

Sorry..mine is a keeper..

475.jpg

And please...keep you answer within those mentioned..

My take is the .470NE.. It is a very balanced cartridge..5000 foot - pounds + and low pressure. You could argue that the .500/465 is very much the same..but where is the ammunition today..? You could, as Boddington does, argue that a double can be built somewhat slimmer in .450NE..but again..ammo is scarce..

So..simply because ammo is plentyful...and otherwise it is very well proven and popular...I say .470 Nitro Express..

Opinions..?
I completely agree with you.
.470 Nitro Express takes the cake, hands down.

There is no "best". They are all great. Gives you an excuse to own one of each to check them out yourself.

I have a peculiar dislike of NE cartridges that do not have straight walls. For me, that makes the 475 NE to be ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandy75942

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt