Smokeless powder shortage on the way?

Roosterlund

AH member
Reaction score
Talk at my local Gun shop is powders will become hard to get because key ingredients are sourced from Russia and China. I have noticed the price of powders going crazy. I use a lot of IMR powder and see a pound can run from $65 - 75$ which is crazy!!! No IMR in stock at Midway. Think I’m gonna have to make the rounds and stock up. GETTING NERVOUS. What’s going on in this country???

It's been this way for the last couple of years.

Powder and primers are all on a short supply and if you see what you need you need to buy it then and not wait.

It's been this way for the last couple of years.

Powder and primers are all on a short supply and if you see what you need you need to buy it then and not wait.
I know what you’re saying. I’m hearing shortages like we haven’t seen. Russia is a main supplier of potassium nitrate. Not like before when Covid was supposed to be the blame. When 4350 and 4831 can about be only bought on gun broker. Bad stuff is coming!!!

I bought 5 or 8 lb jugs while the getting was good.

2000MR
Varget
Win748
CFE223
US869
RL7

H4350 and IMR4831 are my go-to powders for my 6.5x55. I have around a pound of each left.

I suspect the "Russia factor" is nothing but bunkum The real reason probably comes down to a mix of issues.

H4350 and H4831 are made by Thales in Australia and re-packaged/re-labelled by Hodgdon for the US market. Both powders are available here. However there maybe question marks around the current commercial relationship between Thales and Hodgdon and that may be impacting supplies. see also comment below re shipping.

Many "US" powders are actually manufactured in Europe and elsewhere then re-labelled for the US market. Europe in particular is redirecting a lot of its production towards building up military stocks. Something about having an unreliable ally and an aggressive neighbour. Many countries expecting a major war in the next 3 to 10 years and desperately need to play catch up with depleted capacity

Much of the US production is also redirected to military production for much the same reason.

A shortage of explosive accredited shipping in the global fleet is limiting the international supply. Likewise the mandated changes to fuel emission standards are increasing costs.

I suspect the "Russia factor" is nothing but bunkum The real reason probably comes down to a mix of issues.

H4350 and H4831 are made by Thales in Australia and re-packaged/re-labelled by Hodgdon for the US market. Both powders are available here. However there maybe question marks around the current commercial relationship between Thales and Hodgdon and that may be impacting supplies. see also comment below re shipping.

Many "US" powders are actually manufactured in Europe and elsewhere then re-labelled for the US market. Europe in particular is redirecting a lot of its production towards building up military stocks. Something about having an unreliable ally and an aggressive neighbour. Many countries expecting a major war in the next 3 to 10 years and desperately need to play catch up with depleted capacity

Much of the US production is also redirected to military production for much the same reason.

A shortage of explosive accredited shipping in the global fleet is limiting the international supply. Likewise the mandated changes to fuel emission standards are increasing costs.
This sums it up. I have enough Varget and Unique, I’m going to buy Alliant 2400 and AA 2230 anywhere I find some.
During the American Revolution, we produced potassium nitrate from select peat bogs in Pennsylvania.
Times have changed.

So much for the global economy.

Magnum primers are harder to find then any powder
I bought a half brick of CCI about 4 or 5 months ago. At the rate I go through 404J ammo, 500 primers will last me a few years.

We got the word from our suppliers. Powder Primers and loaded ammo will be in short supply predicted into 2026. At levels like we seen during 2020-2021 or worse.
My advise is buy what you think you might need for the next year or so. Personally I have stocked up on what ammo I think I may need for next three hunting seasons and safaris thru 2026.

This sums it up. I have enough Varget and Unique, I’m going to buy Alliant 2400 and AA 2230 anywhere I find some.
During the American Revolution, we produced potassium nitrate from select peat bogs in Pennsylvania.
Times have changed.

So much for the global economy.
I know I’m gonna get what I can find. This sounds like a good way to disarm the militia!!!

I know what you’re saying. I’m hearing shortages like we haven’t seen. Russia is a main supplier of potassium nitrate. Not like before when Covid was supposed to be the blame. When 4350 and 4831 can about be only bought on gun broker. Bad stuff is coming!!!

Look up Bruno's Shooter Supply in Phoenix, AZ. They have a website you can order from. I posted a thread her on President's day weekend with a special they were running on free shipping and no HAZMAT if you ordered like $300 worth.

Since I could not get to their store on the Saturday before and they're an hour away from me, I put in an order for 8lb jugs of both IMR4350 and H4831. They likely still have it in stock if you look. If they don't keep an eye on them, they've been the most reliable source for powder for me the last few years.

EDIT: I just took a look at their website and they still have H4831 and IMR4350 in stock in both 1lb and 8lb containers.

I’ve learned the past few years to keep on top of my personal inventory and buy when available rather than when needed. I’ve also moved to powders that have versatility across the calibers I load so I have options when low.
Picked up 500 magnum rifle primers, big bore brass and 11 lbs of various powders. I really don’t see prices doing anything but going sky high. Time for the insanity of the hoarders to return.

One other thing I didn't address was that Potassium Nitrate is a major component of black powder not smokeless. Generally not use in single base powders and sometimes a minor component in double base powders (0.1 -1.0 %). These days KNO3 is commercially synthesised from commonly available compounds so no need to worry about off-shore suppliers.

All I can say if you didn’t learn from the Obama regime, don’t call me when you’re out! Only thing I was caught short on then was 215 primers and varget, no worries now! If I run out of one thing, I will just move onto another! I helped plenty of guys out during COVID times, get your shit together guys, if you need it buy it, you should never go to sleep with less than 100k primers and plenty of powder to get you through the hard times.

I bought 5 or 8 lb jugs while the getting was good.

2000MR
Varget
Win748
CFE223
US869
RL7

H4350 and IMR4831 are my go-to powders for my 6.5x55. I have around a pound of each left.
I don't have a lot of most powders but I do have a lot of W748. Guess I'll have to substitute it for other ones and make it work. Same with brass. Time to get out the miter box and cut up some to make others. Kind of like during our Revolutionary War when the Patriots melted down lead utensils and cooking pot legs to make their musket balls because the British (like Hornady, Vista Outdoors and others today) had a monopoly on producing lead balls. That's where were headed boys! Reload Free or Die! LOL

I just got lucky and got 10 pound of "Similar to Unique" powder from American Reloading. I'm guessing that it's about 95% chance of it being Unique but they can't say it for contractual/liability reasons. That's my go to pistol accuracy powder. I've been stocked up on rifle powders for a while. Where I live Academy Sports has SP/SR in bricks on their shelves for 80/k + Tax which isn't bad. IIRC they even had some LR recently.

All I can say if you didn’t learn from the Obama regime, don’t call me when you’re out! Only thing I was caught short on then was 215 primers and varget, no worries now! If I run out of one thing, I will just move onto another! I helped plenty of guys out during COVID times, get your shit together guys, if you need it buy it, you should never go to sleep with less than 100k primers and plenty of powder to get you through the hard times.
Agreed! And don't call me if you guys run out of Bud Light, cause I don't have any. Buy some cases NOW while you still can and store them in your barn, garage or basement. It'll probably taste just as lousy for years just like it does when it's fresh. LOL

I just got lucky and got 10 pound of "Similar to Unique" powder from American Reloading. I'm guessing that it's about 95% chance of it being Unique but they can't say it for contractual/liability reasons. That's my go to pistol accuracy powder. I've been stocked up on rifle powders for a while. Where I live Academy Sports has SP/SR in bricks on their shelves for 80/k + Tax which isn't bad. IIRC they even had some LR recently.
"Similar to Unique"? Wow, I'd like to find a "similar" to RL15 powder for about half price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatlynRegi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?