Smith & Wesson firearms is moving to Maryville, Tennessee (Near Knoxville)

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Just seen on our local News station that Smith & Wesson firearms broke ground, on building a plant; moving to Maryville, Tennessee, near Knoxville, Tennessee.

Not many details about the move on our local 10 o'clock news. Hopefully some you all will chime in with better details.

Mostly assembly, machining will stay in Mass

Just so you don’t get the look from all the local in Maryville, TN. The name of the town is pronounced “ Merrville.” It is a lovely town and they play great high school football there.

? Politically driven move ?
Oh, yes!

When even your hometown state reps turn anti-gun despite all the good, high-paying jobs you provide in Springfield, MA, it is time to say goodbye.

Massachusetts isn't called the Volksrepublik for nothing. The new governor, Maura Healey, was very anti-gun as AG and who knows how much worse she'll be in the new job. As AG she reinterpreted the law to essentially ban all new AR-15s.

https://www.mass.gov/news/ag-healey-announces-enforcement-of-ban-on-copycat-assault-weapons

Just so you don’t get the look from all the local in Maryville, TN. The name of the town is pronounced “ Merrville.” It is a lovely town and they play great high school football there.

If you’re talking to a local is closer to muuuurvill (drag the U and make the E silent)…

We lived in the Knoxville area for about 10 years, and in Muuurvill for about 3 while we were there :)

Great little town… some nice restaurants, most of the city is kept wonderfully clean and pristine… very nice, small private college there…

And HUGE football tradition that has produced several NFL players…

Just seen on our local News station that Smith & Wesson firearms broke ground, on building a plant; moving to Maryville, Tennessee, near Knoxville, Tennessee.

Not many details about the move on our local 10 o'clock news. Hopefully some you all will chime in with better details.
Sounds like Good News - Nice people in Tennessee, low cost of living, lower taxes (for businesses & workers). S&W should provide jobs to locals
and be more “welcomed” by State & local Government then they are in MA.
Now, if S&W could just eliminate that stupid “key lock hole” in their revolvers AND cut down on the heat & humidity in Tennessee - ALL would be great!

...and that's how we know when someone "ain't from around here" haha.

Been to Maryville many times. Lovely town.

We have the same pronunciation problem up here in KY. Louisville is correctly pronounced Loovull, not Looey-Ville.

...and that's how we know when someone "ain't from around here" haha.
I am not from there. However, I do know that both the high school football programs at Maryville and Alcoa are very good and would compete well even in Texas High School Football. The rivalry between those two schools is intense.

Does not mean they are not setting up a move for the future.
This could be step 1. I just love it when businesses move to the free world. We have new arrivals from corruptifornicate almost daily.

This has nothing to do with politics.
Most corporate moves like that are all about the bottom line.
Tennessee is a cheap place with cheap labor.

This has nothing to do with politics.
Most corporate moves like that are all about the bottom line.
Tennessee is a cheap place with cheap labor.
I don’t know that “politics” does not have some connection - as Politics affects many business decisions... MA would Not be considered a “gun friendly” State, neither the State or local Government would want to be seen as encouraging manufacture of guns, every local homicide/crime that involves a S&W gun may get “extra coverage” in local News etc.. The State has laws that could encourage holding S&W civilly liable for manufacturing guns that are later used in a crime — and eventually push thru laws that could hold S&W Executives responsible as well (that’s the direction things are headed). Although moving out-of-State does not completely insulate a company from that liability exposure - it may reduce it and would be “part” of what is being considered in their Business Decision. Good successful companies factor many things into a relocation decision. Maybe there’s an attorney from MA that has more expertise on this subject?

I don’t know that “politics” does not have some connection - as Politics affects many business decisions... MA would Not be considered a “gun friendly” State, neither the State or local Government would want to be seen as encouraging manufacture of guns, every local homicide/crime that involves a S&W gun may get “extra coverage” in local News etc.. The State has laws that could encourage holding S&W civilly liable for manufacturing guns that are later used in a crime — and eventually push thru laws that could hold S&W Executives responsible as well (that’s the direction things are headed). Although moving out-of-State does not completely insulate a company from that liability exposure - it may reduce it and would be “part” of what is being considered in their Business Decision. Good successful companies factor many things into a relocation decision. Maybe there’s an attorney from MA that has more expertise on this subject?
If that was the true, Remington who doesn’t reside in Connecticut, would have made it out of the sandy hook lawsuit, but they didn’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alissa34R

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia