Smaller trophy room ideas sought...

As I live in an apartment, I dont´t have a trophy room, I have a trophy apartment :E Laugh: , so my trophies are spread all around, and yes, I´m a lucky guy as my wife likes it.

Only two advices I can give you for lack of space, european mounts, and only keep the best of each species.

Here is a sample of combinating trophies and other artifacts

20220201_194331.jpg

I have seen Red Leg's and agree with you about it. I particularly like the color choice for his walls, and the blend with woodwork he has... I may be doing some copying with mine in as far as that goes.

Trophy rooms are cool, but trophy houses are cooler. If you can find ways to tastefully weave mementos of your hunts into the decor of the home it has a very refined look.

In my opinion, if you want to see the best example on AH of a "trophy house" it has to be the photos uploaded by @Red Leg . It's not overdone, there isn't a repetitive row of dead animals, its just knit together with stories of militaria, Africa, hunts, old arms, leather sofas, pool tables, etc.

Guys that find a way to make it work with the decor usually are permitted to let the trophies overflow into common areas of the home, whereas the row of 20 shoulder mounts is relegated to one room above a garage.
Thank you, Very kind of you. Except it is a trophy room. Or perhaps the main area of the guest house. :unsure: The lovely Mrs Red Leg is just as glad not to have the great room decorated with fauna. Though I do have a lot of input into what we do in the main house as well. We both love antiques and art as much as I do militaria and hunting.

As I live in an apartment, I dont´t have a trophy room, I have a trophy apartment :E Laugh: , so my trophies are spread all around, and yes, I´m a lucky guy as my wife likes it.

Only two advices I can give you for lack of space, european mounts, and only keep the best of each species.

View attachment 455500
Love the scimitar on a stand. Am going to try something similar with a sable.

View attachment 455500
That's classy. I like really that. (y) (y)

Tundra Tiger, I'm very happy for you! My wife has always made sure I have room for my "shit" as she calls it. My room is 16 ft. wide by 26 ft. long with a ceiling that goes up to 13 ft. 6 inches at the highest point. I suggest you have a couple of beams running across it. My 2 beams were added later. Would have been much easier to put them in at the time of the build. I have a 1943 Thompson Brothers Canoe, and a 1930's duck hunting boat across the beams. My room is on the back of our 2 car garage with the only access to it being a single door inside the back of the garage. You cannot tell it is there from the outside. I have 2 sky lights, that do not open, for some natural light. No other windows are in the room. I used 4 ft. x 8 ft. x 1/2 " sheets of T-111 Fir wood for my walls. Stained and sealed them. Other than my Bison, Elk or Kudu (put those in studs) you can hang anything anywhere in the room. I carpeted my floor over padding and concrete, but wish I would have gone with a rustic wood floor. The ceiling is finished and textured drywall. I hope this helps with ideas for your project. You are more than welcome to PM me for any additional help that I can offer.

View attachment 455469View attachment 455470View attachment 455471View attachment 455473View attachment 455474
Some great “shit” Gibbs!! Any chance of posting photos of the canoe and boat?!?!?

Very cool. I’m in the market for a similar canoe to hang from the rafters at my camp. You have some great stuff!!

E9FE32C3-9FB6-4D5D-9D77-B64995269310.png

My favorite little corner.

Flipper Dude, I can see why it's your favorite corner! Beautiful!

You could incorporate a shelf into one wall to hold your smaller mounts and or mementos.
002.JPG

Jduckhunter, Shelves really expand your display area in any room. Great idea! Pretty obvious why your nickname is what it is!

Jduckhunter, Shelves really expand your display area in any room. Great idea! Pretty obvious why your nickname is what it is!
Thanks. I've been jduckhunter for a long time. That last photo was just the tip of the iceberg. And there's more coming, I just got a call from my taxi this morning. Picking up 3 more ducks tomorrow.
IMG_2393 (2).PNG

Thanks. I've been jduckhunter for a long time. That last photo was just the tip of the iceberg. And there's more coming, I just got a call from my taxi this morning. Picking up 3 more ducks tomorrow. View attachment 456479
How many different species have you collected??

How many different species have you collected??
Ducks and geese 39 species so far. Going to try for 2 more next winter.

When I built mine in Canada I put 1/4 plywood on top of the studs on every wall, then did the dry wall on top. Really helpful to support everything.
This is a great idea, behind my finished walls there is a layer of 1/2" plywood. That way I can hang even the heaviest of trophies anywhere I want on the wall without looking for a stud.

Hope I'm not taking this thread too far off track, but someone did ask to see them. The Cinnamon teal I brought home today and the Green wing teal I picked up last week from my taxi. I'm still on crutches so I'm not able to hang them on the wall yet but with a little help from my wife I was able to get some photos.

cinnamons.jpg
bluewings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dritsokwi7

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.