Small gifts for PH and tracker

To break the ice I gave both my PH and Tracker a multi tool & head lamp each.

On Amazon you can get a 4 pack of head lamps for $20 and a multi tool for $20 or so. Peanuts over the course of a safari....

Cash is king.
Whether in deepest, darkest Africa, Patagonia, Christmas Island or Outer Mongolia.

I took Kangaroo droëwors to hand out on the last trip (y)
100_CLASSIC_FRONT_d7cde556-e6c9-4c5a-88ea-2a9a240e454a_600x.jpg

Attachments

• Droëwors - Buy Kangaroo Meat Sticks Australia | Barbell Foods.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 2
Depends, but above and beyond acceptable tips for staff.

Casio F91W
$11.99 on sale
Leather Gloves
Ball Caps

PH cash, they can sort out what they want

I always ask the PH if he or his wife need anything that might be hard to get in Africa. Usually tell me they are all set but occasionally get a request. This year I’m bringing some baby items for the Botes family and my usual welcome gift to the tracker/skinner/room attendant gifts.
Image1719675865.556100.jpg

HH

Depends, but above and beyond acceptable tips for staff.

Casio F91W
$11.99 on sale
Leather Gloves
Ball Caps

PH cash, they can sort out what they want
Leather gloves is a good idea. Not a hot item on the black market and used up fairly quickly. What size do you think is best?

Cheap watch would work too but likely to be sold.

Here's an idea. Kids around the lodge are always kicking a ball. Bring along a couple soccer balls (deflated of course). Those would go home for sure. I bet the ball would get grabbed up quicker than gloves.

Have always asked the outfitter what they might need. Often the answer is, "thanks but we're good" but have also been asked to bring trail cams, lithium AA or AAA batteries, and was once asked to bring a good knife for the skinner. That time I also brought an inexpensive knife sharpener but they probably sold it and went back to using a rock. :unsure:

Hard candy is also a winner; preferably enough to bring on mild diabetes!

Have always asked the outfitter what they might need. Often the answer is, "thanks but we're good" but have also been asked to bring trail cams, lithium AA or AAA batteries, and was once asked to bring a good knife for the skinner. That time I also brought an inexpensive knife sharpener but they probably sold it and went back to using a rock. :unsure:

Hard candy is also a winner; preferably enough to bring on mild diabetes!
I thought lithium batteries are forbidden on planes now. Didn't some explode in cargo a while back?

this chat made me think, so I asked my PH what he thinks is best and came back with the most simple/cheap/ yet essential things. Candy, shoes and clothing. There is always demand for this.

Leather gloves is a good idea. Not a hot item on the black market and used up fairly quickly. What size do you think is best?

Cheap watch would work too but likely to be sold.

SM/MD/LG - heavy on the MD
1 dz pair, each size, take up almost no space.

And if they do, it was a gift and theirs to do with as they please. If they are late after that, it's on them.

There is nothing at all wrong with gifts as long as they are a bonus to currency that pays the bills for the receiver.

If you have hunted with the same outfit multiple times then on occasion you can tailor a gift. An example would be a crafty staff member that carves Makalani palm nuts for clients with a shank made from a disposable razor. A proper Exacto razor knife set comes to mind.

I always leave all of the clothes, boots, and everything I can in camp when on the way out. It seems there is always somebody roughly my size or close enough that can wear them and if not, sell them.

Obviously high value items in lieu of cash should be discussed with your PH.

Some of us are fortunate to have access to things that those in other places do not have or, can only be had at a much greater expense than we are used to. I would feel guilty if I left the continent with any loaded 404J cartridges.

Your PH will probably tell you but if not make sure that your usd is clean and of the last few years. By clean I mean not crumpled up with rips. There’s a lot of counterfeit money so hence they want latest production 5 years old if possible especially for Zim, Zambia Tanzanian.
It’s no use giving a top if they can’t use it.

Edit I see trip advisor say 2020 oldest date for Kenya. So I’d run with that.

Your PH will probably tell you but if not make sure that your usd is clean and of the last few years. By clean I mean not crumpled up with rips. There’s a lot of counterfeit money so hence they want latest production 5 years old if possible especially for Zim, Zambia Tanzanian.
It’s no use giving a top if they can’t use it.

Edit I see trip advisor say 2020 oldest date for Kenya. So I’d run with that.
Newer bills from more recent years without tears, but there is no $100 bill with 2020. The last edition is still 2017.

I’ve brought 3m safety glasses. They are wrap around style and can be clear, slightly tinted or darker. They work great for a dusty ride on the back of a truck.

Uncommon forms of nicotine: try bringing nicotine gum, or nic pouches like zyn or something similar. You are bound to find multiple people who are happy to try some.

Paracord. Not so much a gift but a deposit into the truck to stay and be used for things.

Last trip the phs wanted crystal hot sauce and some other seasonings they were introduced to in the states. I also brought 2 basic leupold scopes, 3-9 and 2-7, US cash for tracking and camp staff

American currency...

You really just never know about anything else, unless your PH specifically tells you.

Gifts and cash. Knifes, hatchets, hats, headlamps....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LatonyaCal

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me