Skins Wanted For Taxidermy

ameliebeth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've put this in the right category, so apologies if I'm wrong.
I've been looking to get a Striped or Brown hyena skin for a while now, but with no luck. I've been advised by an African taxidermist that my best shot (pardon the pun) is to get an English person to shoot me the animals I want on their African shooting holiday, get the skins tanned and bring them back to the UK with all the legal paperwork etc and for me to pay them the money for it all.

So I am looking for someone from the UK whose going on a shooting holiday and who will shoot me a hyena, or a genet, civet or ocelot. I just want the tanned skin, not made into a rug or mount.

Any offers?
Like I've said, I will pay you whatever it costs you to shoot the animal, get it tanned and paperwork for import.

I did go to a Taxidermy auction the other week and there was an incredible Brown hyena mount for sale (killed in 2009) apparently it cost a lot for the owner to get it imported, I'm not sure if that's because it was a big heavy mount, or just the import fees were high. Anyway, I didn't have £1,200 in my pocket on the day so had to let him slip away.

ameliebeth, I think that you should do a lot more research before putting out there such request. I believe there are four different species of Hyena and just throwing the generic name out there is irresponsible on your part. As far as the Ocelot is concerned, not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

IMPORTANT
Leopardus pardalis (Ocelot)

Included on CITES Appendix I. The species is protected across most of its range, with hunting banned in Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Suriname, Trinidad, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela, and hunting regulations in place in Peru (Nowell and Jackson 1996). Part of the species range includes protected areas, including some capable of maintaining long-term viable populations (Oliveira et al. in submission).

Range Description: The ocelot is widely distributed from Mexico through Central and South America south to NE Argentina and southern Brazil and Uruguay, found in every country except Chile. Only a small remnant population is found north of the Rio Grande in the United States, estimated at 80-120 animals (Sunquist and Sunquist 2002). In Mexico it has disappeared from much of its historic range on the west coast. There are report of the species up to 3000 m but there are likely outliers.

Countries: Native: Argentina; Belize; Bolivia, Plurinational States of; Brazil; Colombia; Costa Rica; Ecuador; El Salvador; French Guiana; Guatemala; Guyana; Honduras; Mexico; Nicaragua; Panama; Paraguay; Peru; Suriname; Trinidad and Tobago; United States; Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of

Source: International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN Red List) (http://www.iucnredlist.org)

I meant Serval, NOT Ocelot, my bad, sorry! Also I want either Brown or Striped hyena :)

I've been looking for information on hunting striped hyena but I can't seem to find any information. A couple of websites say you can hunt them in Tanzania and they can be found in Ethiopia but thats about all the info I could find. I just read your comment Jerome that there are 4 species of Hyena, I didn't realise that the Aardwolf was a type of Hyena :eek: so different from it's relatives. Do you happen to know where I could find information on hunting striped Hyena?

gday richelle
give Garry Pegg a call at south pacific taxidermy , he may be able to help you out there.
ph. 03 9466 2687
or email him , info@spt.net.au

didn't know the aardwolf ,was a hyena .
there you go ,learn something new every day

If you are going to pay for someone to shoot one for you, you'll be into quite a lot of cash.

Way more than 1200 quid.

Advertised at $4500 USD

Tanning will be about another $400-600 USD.

Export and shipping will be another $1500-3500 USD back to the UK.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

There are several people that do reproduction trophies based on fake fur, a styrofoam manikin and glass eyes from Tohican.

Google taxidermy supply places and you'll see the inner workings of what goes into producing a mount. I do not know if they exist in Europe or not, but most of the American ones will ship to you.

If you are looking for a fur for the garment trade, I'd think you would be better served by a fox, racoon, a small bear, tanuki (racoon dog) or wolf. Then modifying the skin, and dying it to suit your needs. If it is done properly you can have something that will look similar.

Honestly most of the African furred predators do not have the heavy fur that would suit the garment trade anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeremyHillson

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's