Similar caliber import issues

jimbo1972

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am going to South Africa for the first time in July. Originally I was taking a Tikka 300 Win Mag and A Ruger No 1 in 338 Win Mag. In working up loads I decided the Ruger No 1 was ok accuracy but I have another rifle Savage 110 Ultra light in 300 WSM that is a tack driver like the Tikka so I would take it. Sent the updated 4457 forms to my travel agent who sent it to Africa Sky who will be handling the firearms paperwork and they informed me the South African Police says they are too similar calibers and it violates the you can only have one gun of a caliber rule. My travel agent double checked this with another company they use for handling firearms and got the same answer. I know it makes no sense but I refer to the advice many have given on here and other places it’s Africa and they have their own rules. Just posting as a FYI in case anyone else may have a similar situation. Will get the No 1 tuned up as well as possible and it will be fine.

Great question but sounds like you have the answer.

Different twist on that question. Husband and wife traveling together. Want to take a drilling in 7x65r and a bolt 7x57. Is that ok as long one each on seperate permits?

How about each taking a 22 Hornet? Again on their own permits.

Different twist on that question. Husband and wife traveling together. Want to take a drilling in 7x65r and a bolt 7x57. Is that ok as long one each on seperate permits?

I think you are ok since you have two people but I would ask others who have more experience.

Two separate people with two separate permits, I'd say that you are good to go.

But how about a single person trying to hunt with a 300 HH, 300 Weatherby, and a 300 Win Mag all on a single permit?

All different cartridges but all the same caliber.

But how about a single person trying to hunt with a 300 HH, 300 Weatherby, and a 300 Win Mag all on a single permit?

I would say you would have the same issue. Although the same could be said for 308 and 30-06 as they are all 30 cal.

Why?....

Just to check out performance of the three different cartridges on African game animals.

But I don't need to worry because I don't actually poses any of the ones that I mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystleEld

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]